Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #1  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Default Clothing and weight loss

I have been fortunate to have lost enough weight to go down 2 sizes of pants. My current pants are starting to be baggy. How do you solve the problem of baggy clothes without spending too much on clothes that won't fit for very long?

C
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I wore my oversized clothes all the way until I got to my ideal clothing size(not recommended). Why don't you get the clothes you have now taken up by a professional?
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Thrift Stores can be your friends. Also Target, Old Navy, etc. As women, we seem to collect a lot of clothes...but I was amazed how few I really "needed" when I had to buy a few pieces to get to my goal weight. It was actually kind of freeing to have so few to choose from. A couple of pairs of jeans, a pair of black slacks, two "nicer" shirts, a few t-shirts and a couple of hoodies. If you need nicer things for work, thrift stores for blouses, maybe a skirt and a couple more pairs of slacks -- you can usually get them each for less than five bucks at Goodwill, etc. It can be done...it just takes a little planning and a tolerance for doing laundry.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/ticker!/140

Height: 5'7"

For Christmas, I asked my boyfriend for a cheapie sewing machine to take in some of my clothes that are too large to fit. Although I only wear skirts, which are much easier to take in, so perhaps it isn't as good an option with pants.
rubbytummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Thrift stores and consignment shops.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #6  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Well, I haven't bought anything new yet. Asking for clothes for Christmas actually. I do have a pair of jeans that are a size smaller that I really need to try on since my current ones are pretty baggy.
I like the rec to try thrift stores and such. Going to do that myself once I start working again and need to get new stuff.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I agree with these ladies- thrift stores, for sure, or I get jeans at wal-mart sometimes (they're like $17)
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I definitely recommend having them taken in professionally. I think it cost me about $10 per pair of pants to have this done and I was surprised at how well they came out. You couldn't tell that they'd ever been larger and they fit great--practically better than off-the-rack in my size. They can definitely take stuff in by two sizes; that's what I had done.

I only had it done on a couple of pairs of pants, just to tide me over until I was ready to buy new clothes. Like Schumeany, I was surprised to discover how few clothes I really needed to get by. And it was nice to have all that extra closet space!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You could try to organize a clothing swap in your area. I really like hitting the thrift stores and consignment shops. You will also find (guaranteed) as your sizes decrease your selections at the thrift shops will increase!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onmyway View Post
I have been fortunate to have lost enough weight to go down 2 sizes of pants. My current pants are starting to be baggy. How do you solve the problem of baggy clothes without spending too much on clothes that won't fit for very long?

C

one word....ebay!!

ETA: When they don't fit anymore you can resell them and make some of that money back!

Last edited by Smiling_Sara; 12-12-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I definitely recommend having them taken in professionally. I think it cost me about $10 per pair of pants to have this done and I was surprised at how well they came out. You couldn't tell that they'd ever been larger and they fit great--practically better than off-the-rack in my size. They can definitely take stuff in by two sizes; that's what I had done.

I only had it done on a couple of pairs of pants, just to tide me over until I was ready to buy new clothes. Like Schumeany, I was surprised to discover how few clothes I really needed to get by. And it was nice to have all that extra closet space!
I like this idea, I've just been doing belts. I can't afford to buy new clothes b/c I spent so much on the ones I have now that are 2 sizes too big.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 140/111/103

Height: 5'1

I personally would splurge on clothes that you'll feel good in and not worry about the money so much. Buying the smaller sized clothes will be amazing motivation and therefore entirely worth the money. I think it would be beneficial to feel good all the time even the clothes won't last long.
sm177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:09 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Jeans with stretch, a size you wear and a size smaller... guess what the movie stars are wearing these days? Baggy boyfriend jeans! So baggy is in!
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have a trick ...when you do get new things, make sure the fit nicely over control top hose. When they get a bit biggish ... wear them without. You'll get a couple of weight changes out of one set.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #15  
Being A Better Me!

S/C/G: 211/191/150lbs

Height: 5'5"

My solution is cargo pants with a draw string. Even after you lose weight, they'll still look good. ^_^ Or I wear workout pants, the really silky material with a draw string. I don't get the stuff that hugs, but the stuff that is loose on your legs and hugs your butt. Shirts aren't a big thing cause they're just shirts you know. They'll all work unless you get skinny enough for it to look like a tent or something on you. Then they're good for night shirts. ^_^
migotokokoro is offline   Reply With Quote