Old 12-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default New to group and suffering from reality shock

Hello! I am new and the following was my straw that broke the camel's back. A relative just tagged me in Facebook and posted a picture of me to the world that is extremely unflattering and I look huge. I got on the scale and it said 200 pounds and I am extremely ashamed, embarassed, upset and need to do something about it. So here I am. I am very depressed and hoping to find some support and encouragement.

I definitely have a problem with food. Although I used to be quite athletic I have a hard time consistently going to the gym. Any tips and encouragement is appreciated.
cheekiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to 3FC! I'm so glad you found us!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!

Don't be discouraged. We all are or have been in your shoes. Unflattering photos? Yeah, been there, done that!

Make yourself a plan and stick to it and come back here for lots and lots of help and advice and before you know it you'll be in better shape.

My advice? Walk. That's how I started. Yeah, I joined the gym a few months back but I really don't like going. I used to walk 5-6 days a week, 3-4 miles each day (took about an hour a day). These days I get up and use the treadmill for 30 minutes before work. (I was unemployed when I was walking longer.)

The secret? Eat less, move more. You'll hear it here time and time again.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/160/140

Height: 5'5"

Nice to see you here!

Believe me I know how you feel, been there and done that. Plus here is something to be ashamed of, I lost it all and gained it back, TWICE.

The thing is I am not going to give up, I know how I secrewed up and what to avoid this time around. It can be done. There are a lot of very encouraging and successful people on this site. I'm very new myself to 3FC but just reading the posts gives me tons of encouragement.

At fleating moments when I feel discouragement coming on, or depression about my "fatness", I say my mantra "But you are working on fixing it right now". Rome wasn't built in a day, and my girth wasn't either, I ate it, now I'm working to get it gone.

Best of luck to you, you can do this!
justformenow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #5  

Welcome!

Your post could have been written by me. I finally had the courage to step on the scale and could not believe it hit 200lbs! On top of it, I rec'd a book of pics of my kids in the mail, and I was in a couple of them. I swear I didn't recognize myself. Very depressing.

So, small steps. I have the exercise down, as long as I can stay on track - no sickness, breaks for the holidays, excuses. If I don't exercise, I know I can't be successful. I'm working on how to get my eating under control. I guess I never realized I had such a problem, even though I've battled my weight what seems like my whole life. Hopefully we can help each other!
marytk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekiemonkey View Post
Hello! I am new and the following was my straw that broke the camel's back. A relative just tagged me in Facebook and posted a picture of me to the world that is extremely unflattering and I look huge. I got on the scale and it said 200 pounds and I am extremely ashamed, embarassed, upset and need to do something about it. So here I am. I am very depressed and hoping to find some support and encouragement.

I definitely have a problem with food. Although I used to be quite athletic I have a hard time consistently going to the gym. Any tips and encouragement is appreciated.
First thing's first. Go to Facebook Privacy Settings, Profile, and CHANGE the drop down box that says "photos tagged of me". This will prevent events like this in the future!!! That way, only YOU get to screen the pictures first, and if you find them acceptable you can let them through.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #7  
Learning to fly

S/C/G: 249/198/150

Height: 5`4.5

Welcome to the group! I can soooo relate to what your saying, only when I stepped on that scale it read 245. I could NOT believe it!! I cried, bummed, and vowed to do something about it.
So- here we are! Let`s DO IT!
There are 6 months until shorts weather- and honey I am going to get this fat rear into some decent shorts this summer!!!
Terry
elfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #8  

Default Facebook Advice

OMG- THANK YOU!!!! I wish I had know.

I'm trying to keep a low profile because I have gained weight and I just got on Facebook and reconnected with a bunch of people.....

I didn't want them to see me.

Oh well--I guess I need to be strong and face reality and do something about it.....but I am horrified.

Thanks again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel View Post
First thing's first. Go to Facebook Privacy Settings, Profile, and CHANGE the drop down box that says "photos tagged of me". This will prevent events like this in the future!!! That way, only YOU get to screen the pictures first, and if you find them acceptable you can let them through.

~CGH~
Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #9  

thank you everyone for your responses and encouragement.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #10  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default Hi there

It's funny you mentioned Facebook. A friend of mine asked me to join it and I am afraid of just that type of thing.

Listen, if you are in your 40s, come join the bffs in the 40 something support group. We are all wearing pedometers and getting out there.

I wish you all the luck. What I have been doing is writing down everything. I am at 1500 calories a day, give or take a few and it seems to be working, slowly, but its a start.

I go to the gym as often as I can, sometimes that 3, sometimes 4 times a week. I walk at breaks and lunch.

Start slow, just maybe stop eating pasta, then stop eathing bread... then start counting calories and add them back, but make them count.

Good luck honey!!!
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #11  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

You have found a WONDERFUL support system in 3FC. Come back and post often. You CAN do this!!!

I so relate to your picture story - I absolutely abhor the pictures of me at my high weight. I became the family photographer just so I would not have to be in any of our pictures.!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
I became the family photographer just so I would not have to be in any of our pictures.!
When I see a camera I demand that they take any picture of me from boobs up only! LOL.
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Just do a "squeeze" in photoshop to pics? Or is that cheating to take off pounds electronically? You might appreciate those pics one day when you lose, you'll need an awful "before" picture right? Hang out on this site and post daily, this really works, support to help motivate!
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote