Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/262/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Help getting started

Hi everyone,
I'm a self-diagnosed food addict. Highly emotional stuff-good or bad- sets me off and then I'm in a downward spiral for months. Usually I can pull myself out of it through sheer determination and getting disgusted enough with myself to do something. This episode has been the toughest and longest, I've been out of control for about two years.

I've looked into OA meetings and don't think they're an option for me. I live in a very small town and the meetings that would be possible would likely contain several people I know. I really would rather my personal life isn't an open book. (When I say small town, I mean small! I can't get gas without running into two or three people I know!) I've also looked into the FAA stuff. I'm not comfortable with all the references to God and turning my life and will over to God to help with this. No judgment of anyone that this works for (I'm glad it does!), it's just not for me.

The other part of this is that I really don't want to follow something as restrictive as the FAA plan. I'd like to learn how to just eat "normally"-- whatever that is!!

I'm not willing to live my life like this any longer and will be making an appointment with a counselor as soon as I can find someone I'm comfortable with. But, I don't want to wait any longer to get started, so my question is: how should I start, given my aversion to OA meetings and FAA? Anyone out there that's done well without OA and FAA that's willing to share?

Sorry this is so incredibly long, didn't mean it to be!!

-Nixie
Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 AM   #2  

Nixie,

Remember that OA has a very strong ANONYMOUS tradition. This means that members absolutely respect each other's anonymity. My guess is that the members of your town that are in OA are absolutely strict about the anonymity aspect because of the very reasons you gave in your post.

There are also online meetings that you can check out: http://recovery.hiwaay.net/

And online podcasts: http://oablogger.wordpress.com/

Don't give up!!!
tvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 262/262/145

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Tony! I'll check those out!
Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #4  
jmwt

S/C/G: 242/199/140

Height: 5'7

Nixie- are you going to try to go to a OA meeting (live)? I am debating - I am new on this site also- not sure yet how it will help EXCEPT that I do not feel so alone ??
venusbirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:24 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusbirth View Post
Nixie- are you going to try to go to a OA meeting (live)? I am debating - I am new on this site also- not sure yet how it will help EXCEPT that I do not feel so alone ??
Why not try a meeting? What do you have to lose? Just remember, one meeting probably isn't enough to really get a feel for whether it will work for you or not. You might try a few different meetings before you decide.
tvalle is offline   Reply With Quote