Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Question how yoga helps

Does Yoga help you to lose weigh , or no ..... i don't like to do that kind of exercise because i feel like , nothing ,i may be wrong , that is why am asking . Thanks
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #2  
Being A Better Me!

S/C/G: 211/191/150lbs

Height: 5'5"

I think yoga is more of a patience thing. Lots of stretching. I took Pilate's and it's a lot like yoga, but it's more of a muscle builder and exercise. It's core building, and is supposed to slim you down. Helps you align main areas like your spine and breathing.
migotokokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i like yoga....but in combo with a bunch of other things. I think yoga helps stretch and strengthen muscles. But i do also think you need a combo of a lot of things. I do a lot of yoga moves to help strengthen my core. I love yoga...it relaxes me while working my whole body. It takes a bit of getting use to but once you start doing it a lot your body will get better from it.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yoga can help, sure, but ultimately for exercise to help you lose weight, you have to increase your heart rate for a significant amount of time (20 mins or so). The more you increase your heart rate, the more calories you burn.

Yoga will definitely help with flexibility and can burn some calories, but it's not the same as cardio or a combination of cardio and strength training.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Actually....

I am an avid yoga enthusiast. Yoga CAN be strength building. Yoga CAN burn a lot of calories. Yoga CAN provide stretching and flexibility benefits. Yoga can provide stress relief and a more calm state of mind. Yoga CAN provide just as much strength as Pilates, Lotte Berk, or some strength training.

It all depends on what kind of yoga you are doing, and if you are doing it correctly. Yoga should definitely not feel like "nothing" or you are doing it incorrectly.

Not every yoga position is meant for stretching. Some are strength building, some are meant to enhance bloodflow to certain areas of the body, some are meant to relieve tension, some are meant to open up tight areas of the body...every pose has a different purpose for the human body.

An advanced power yoga workout is going to be completely different than a yoga workout meant to relieve stress and tension, and completely different than a yoga workout meant to prepare a woman's body for childbirth.

It is simply too wide of an exercise form (and lifestyle for many) to generalize in such a way.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #6  
Workin' It

I do a lot of 'cardio yoga' videos and I find that my heart rate gets pretty up there. I have also noticed strength and muscle increases in some areas that I attribute directly to yoga - specifically, I see a big difference in my legs, thighs, hips. I think it helps my arms as well.

I'm going to start working on flexibility with yoga, so I will probably have to design a routine or find one online somewhere, but I really want to be able to touch my toes one day. I think yoga will help with that.

Edit: Yes, yoga also helps with stress like Aphil said - just this week I started a PM yoga routine and it has helped me shake off some of the stress around me right now and sleep better.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-11-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: addition
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Aphil - you're right! I shouldn't have been so general in my comments.

I'll amend .. and say that my comments are based on the yoga class that my gym offers. And I take the class as regularly as I can (but it's on Saturdays and I often am working on Saturdays). My gym's yoga class is very low impact, stretching, relaxation based. It's a great class and I can work up a sweat and come out feeling well exercised ... but it's not a hardcore workout.

So I guess really the answer is YMMV.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #8  
Workin' It

Photo- check out the "Cardio Yoga for Weight Loss" with Patricia Moreno on On Demand (or Tom Morley, or Meghan Townsend, they all have a cardio yoga program I think, but don't know if they are all up this month). Nothing low impact about those!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I've had some yoga classes kick my butt, cardio-and-strength wise (and I -lift- and do heavy, HIIT cardio regularly, so I'm no lightweight). I've also done some where I end up feeling relaxed and stretched, but I don't end up sore. So it depends a lot on what you're doing.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

In Mario Lopez's book - and we know what hunk he is - he suggests doing yoga on Sundays and I like that idea. Sometimes I do a quick Yoga for Relaxation dvd right before bed, it's restorative yoga and very relaxing and short. I personally dont' have much patience for yoga I just like the stretching and quiet music.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #11  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

I've been going to moksha yoga, it's 60 or 90 minutes in a room heated to 98 degrees or hotter, and it's really challenging even for very fit people. Most of the class is done standing, so there is a large strength component, and the sweating is insane. I love it, it feels really detoxifying.
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #12  
Getting my Halle bod! :)

Height: short stack

I started doing a yoga video this week and it feels so good to do the stretches after doing so much cardio even though some of it is kind of challening and I kind of lose my balance....I would love to try yoga booty ballet! It looks like it would be kind of fun
butterflygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I started yoga this week ... And it HURTS the next day wow those chair poses my god i think its toning me up a whole lot i love it.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, there's as much variation between different types of yoga as there is between walking and running a marathon and sprinting. Well, maybe not quite that much, but lots
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #15  
Transforming

S/C/G: 228/184/164

Height: 5' 7"

I've recently started Pranayama another form of YOGA which involves deep breathing exercises as i saw a lot of people getting wonderful results from it.

Here's an article from some site which talks about Pranayams

P
Quote:
ranayama Improves functioning of Body Organs By controlling the breath and taking deep breaths lungs, heart, diaphragm, abdomen, intestines, kidneys and pancreas are benefited

It improved Blood circulation. As a result of breathing, the freshly oxygenated blood(during inhalation) travels from lungs to the heart. The heart pumps it via arteries and blood vessels to every part of the body, where in turn it seeps into every tissue and bone cell.

This improves the blood circulation and more oxygen/ prana or cosmic energy reaches all parts of our body.

Yoga for healthy heart. Our heart is the most industrious organ of our body. The heart beats 100,000 times a day. It is pumping blood day in and day out non-stop all your life. The health of your heart determines your life expectancy and quality of life in old age.

Effects of improper breathing in old age As an average person reaches middle age, lung tissues tend to grow less and less elastic. Years of improper breathing take their toll like:

* Loss of vitality.
* Accumulation of uric acid in the blood stream which often leads to frequent joint pains and discomfort.
* Backaches, headaches, stiffening muscles and joints and rheumatism are some of the more common of these complaints.
* Excess fat is another problem. As we begin to grow old, proper circulation of blood is impeded by a sluggish diaphragm or hardening arteries.

All these complications of life can be avoided by pranayama yoga. Prana yoga helps in the case of obesity, heart problems, hypertension etc. It is a great aid for the physical and spiritual purification needed for the path of yoga.

With practice of pranayama, people start experiencing lightness of body, feeling of inner peace, better digestion, better sleep, better memory and better concentration. General irritability due to lethargy/ fatigue vanishes.
rinku is offline   Reply With Quote