Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #1  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Default The stuff they don't tell you!

Inspired by the "bottom" thread and Mandalinn's post re: bruised hips, I started thinking about all the stuff that came as a surprise to me during my weightloss journey and beyond.

Are there things that have surpised you along the way? What did no one tell you that you came to learn?

In addition to new bones and having to pay attention so I didn't break them:

I didn't know that working out regularly would make me sleep better and I would actually be awake in the mornings (not just eyes open, but functional and happy).

Last edited by junebug41; 12-11-2008 at 12:42 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #2  
Workin' It

I didn't know that changing my diet was going to make me lose my taste for sugar and cream in my coffee. I still have to have 1tsp of sugar and 1tbsp of cream, but used to have 5-6 cream and 10-12 packs of sugar. (Also, sugar in tea, same thing...)

Also, on the same lines as the 'bottom' thread - I sit lower in my car seat, desk chair, movie theater seats, seats at the Fox. I'm guessing it is because I have less booty boosting me up! Went to see Wicked a few weeks ago and could barely see over the person in front of me. I was sitting lower than normal, and this person had a large booty so was sitting several inches higher than the same height person next to her...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #3  
Meg

I didn't know that I would develop "caves" in my armpits and have a devil of a time trying to shave them!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I have the same experience with sleeping; it's usually impossible for me to fall to sleep at night (I swear, if I could, I would stay up 24/7) unless I get myself completely exhausted with a workout or otherwise. That's another great reason for exercise: getting a good night of sleep and actually feeling refreshed in the morning.

One thing that surprised me was that some of the foods I used to enjoy would begin to taste repulsiveto me after a while of eating mostly healthier foods. For instance, I would not eat potato chips at this point even if someone payed me.

This is an interesting thread idea, I like it.

Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Fabulous topic.

I wanted to tame my sweet tooth and appetite, I just didn't *really* believe it would happen. I'm thrilled.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I didn't know that I would develop "caves" in my armpits and have a devil of a time trying to shave them!
That's a biggie. Also, my razor blades last longer. Less surface area.

And related, I didn't know that I would learn to use less of everything. Body wash, perfume, make-up, etc... And I don't think that necessarily has to do with surface area, but that I learned that more wasn't necessarily better (especially with perfume )
Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

And also related to a new thread on the page-

No one told me that I would DREAD the freezer section of the grocery store.

Someone get me a sweater! I'm cold all the time.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Me too on the sleep thing!

They didn't tell me that my focus would be so much better. Not sure if that's the exercise or the weight...

They didn't tell me that I'd drop shoe sizes! I am so TICKLED by that!

They also didn't tell me that, on Southwest flights where you choose your seat, I'll never have an empty seat next to me again. Seems everyone wants to sit next to the normal-sized girl. When I was heavy, I always thought it was my lack of eye contact and/or buckled seatbelt that kept the seat next to me vacant. Turns out it was the size of my butt...no one wanted to be crammed in next to me!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh yes, ditto on the need for blankets and socks ALL the time.

Also, no one told me that I'd end up doing fewer loads of laundry because my clothes would take up less space.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #10  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Shannon - I'm so jealous, I love the Wicked soundtrack, but I've never seen it live.

I was telling someone this morning how I was rubbing my upper arms last night trying to keep warm while the dog was finishing her business, and I felt this strange bump running up and down my arms. I went and looked in the mirror thinking it must have been where the seam in my shirt had creased my skin. DH asked what I was doing, so I explained. He started laughing, and finally told me...it's where I'm finally getting some muscles in my arms built up, I was feeling the line of my muscles. I probably spent 20 minutes flexing in front of the mirror after that. You can't see the muscle, but I can feel it.

Also, no one warned me that working out was addictive. A day without the gym is now what I used to feel like when I went a few hours without chocolate. If I had to give up one of those things, gym or chocolate for the rest of my life, I'd choose to give up chocolate.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Fabulous topic.

I wanted to tame my sweet tooth and appetite, I just didn't *really* believe it would happen. I'm thrilled.
Yup! I always thought I would scour the earth for a constant sugar source. I now know that I can control my "need" for sugar and refined carbs- that removing them from my daily intake would do the trick!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #12  

That you can be a smaller size but weigh more because muscle takes up so much less room
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #13  
Workin' It

Dixied - it was phenomenal! Even with having to shift back and forth the whole time to see! (BTW: If you haven't read the liner notes, read them! There is A LOT of dialogue not on the soundtrack, some of which is pivotal to the storyline.) I had the same thing as you happen with my arms - I was rubbing them for warmth also, as a matter of fact, and thought I must have bruised my upper arm above my elbow and had a knot on it. Turns out it was little baby muscle! Had a similar dent on the outside of my thighs that I didn't understand. Cool though!

Ditto to the gym - no one told me I would feel rundown and icky on the days I didn't exercise...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-11-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

No one told me that just because you are a size 6,8, or 10 in one store doesn't mean you will be in another store. And furthermore, just because you can fit into that size 8 does not mean you look good in it (hello, muffin top!)

I admit, I went a little nuts when I hit a certain size and now have an interesting collection of clothes that just do not fit me well (but they button!).
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #15  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_talker View Post
That you can be a smaller size but weigh more because muscle takes up so much less room
Totally.