Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Winter in the VOLUMETRICS world

. . . Thought we should have a new start once again, since it is the start of a new month and, for a lot of us it definitely feels feels like the start of the new season as well . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to the review on 3FC. After reading the review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us won't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . .
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Hey! We made it to December! Gotta go eat my oatmeal.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #3  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Gail- you mentioned brussels sprouts- one of my favorite veggies! This is how I like them- I chop a leek, finely chop the sprouts and shred a carrot into a pan with a little EVOO and just stir fry them. they're so good!

this is what it looks like here!

Last edited by ArtCat; 12-01-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #4  

Yum! What could be easier?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #5  
Onward and Downward

It does sound good and brussel sprouts are NOT one of my favourites although I can't say I actually dislike them.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #6  
Liz

We grow them ourselves every year, and they taste so much better than from the store. They're best harvested after a hard frost or two, so Thanksgiving usually ends up being the perfect time for them.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Our weather is still unseasonably mild and, although I don't mind being 'snowless' I'd very much like to see some sun.

Just about finished up the wrapping (hope to get things to the post office tomorrow). Of course, I'm also starting to get the almost overpowering urge to bake, bake, bake that hits me every year about this time. Must fight it because it always seems to come along with a companion urge to eat, eat, eat.

Have a good day . . .
Old 12-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #8  

I never knew that sprouts were improved by a frost or two! I have been eating them like crazy. I got a big sack full of little tiny ones at Costco.

I can't say that I have been doing too well in the eating area. I did manage to make myself up several batches of soup for my lunches. I made white chili, black bean chili, butternut squash soup, and lentil/barley soup. All of these are made according to a healthful recipe. They are all divided up into portions and in the freezer. Now all I have to do is eat the soup instead of some of my preferred "junk".

I watched a special about the bad American diet on TV today. Nothing especially new. Sanjay Gupta talked about the easy availability of prepared, less than nutritious junk food. He said that some of the flavor additives the food companies use are almost addictive. Brian Wansink was on talking about mindless eating.

I am really sick of OJ Simpson. He almost makes me loose my appetite.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #9  
Liz

Maybe your news is different than ours- I don't think they're talking about OJ Simpson at all around here. Which is fine by me! I had enough of him a couple of years ago.

I agree about the special you saw- if you're busy and stressed, which it seems everyone is, it's so much easier to pick up premade ready stuff, and it's always bad for you. It takes a lot more effort to make your own healthy stuff. We need a company that makes stuff for you, but it's healthy. And doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm getting plenty of exercise lately shoveling snow!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Just sending out warm thoughts on this snowy afternoon!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #11  

I saw all that snow on the weather report this morning. No snow here, although we did have a bit of rain yesterday.

I have had such a bad cold. It just hangs on and hangs on. Now I think I have pinkeye. One of my coworkers had it last week. Just what I don't need!

I am eating a small bowl of lentil/barley soup with my lunch. I made it from a recipe on the package of either the lentils or barley. I also have a chicken salad sandwich and a lettuce and tomato salad for lunch.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #12  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . . wherever you are . . .
Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

........Been kinda quiet around here, lately......

Old 12-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #14  
Onward and Downward

Happens every year around this time . . . everybody just gets toooooooo busy, I guess.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #15  
Liz

I'm here! Had a doctor's appt yesterday, which confirmed my scale. It's always nice to know your scale's at least somewhat close.
I've been bad about exercising lately- it's hard to find time for it when you can't even find time for everyday things. I know, it should be listed as an everyday thing, but it feels like everything should. At least I'm still doing baby yoga every morning and trying to eat right.
Closed Thread