Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default How many calories does the George Forman grill remove?

Does anyone have any idea? I know they claim to reduce the calories, and a ton of grease came off my burger. (We're tight on money this payday and had to buy the cheaper less-healthy burgers).

It originally had 370 calories, now I'm writing that much in my log- but for future reference, I'd like to be able to have a really accurate calorie count.

Help, anyone! Thanks.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

it would be hard to determine. But it really just helps remove some of the fat. I don't think there is a way to determine the actual amount unless you had a lab that could analyze how much fat was taken off the burger
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #3  

true, but I'm thinking that someone out there has done tests on the average amount of fat that comes off, and maybe someone on here had read the study or heard something. A lot of women's magazines do studies like that, but I'm still looking
Old 12-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

I guess, in theory you could measure how much fat is left over and figure out how many calories that is.....divided by however many servings...or you might look up how much calories is the meat if it's "broiled"....that would prolly be pretty close. When in doubt estimate high.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

But you'd have to let the fat cool and measure the solids, because a good bit of water comes out of the meat along with the fat. Also, you've got to read the calorie count on the beef very carefully, because sometimes the calorie count is for the raw meat, and other times it lists the cooked calories and already takes into account the "average amount" of fat that comes out of the meat.

Another option is to weigh the burger after it is cooked. In general, a burger would not have more than 100 calories per ounce (of course if you stir in onions and seasonings into the meat this would make a more difficult comparison).

I've not read or heard of any research (or done any myself) regarding the fat that the Foreman and similar grills can remove - but alot will depend on how well-done you like your burger. A well-done burger is going to be lower in fat and calories than a burger cooked rare.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Hm. See I don't really buy the claims that it "removes" calories.

When you cook any food with any method, some of the fat comes out of the food. You cook a burger in pan, there's fat left in the pan. You grill a burger in the grill, there's fat that drips into the grill. You bake a burger in the oven, there's fat left in the bottom of the pan.

But also ... that really only works with fatty foods. I grill chicken breasts in the George Foreman grill all the time. What comes out of the bird is NOT mostly fat. Chicken breasts are already lean meat ... so some liquid comes out and if I have marinaded them, some of the fat from the marinade comes out ... but there's not a hugely measurable amount of fat that comes out.

So no matter how you cook something, you're going to lose fat/liquid and therefore lose calories, but you're not going to lose all that much, even with a well done burger.

So you might lose 10 or 20 calories worth of fat, maybe. Maybe even 50 calories worth of fat. I dunno. But for me it's not worth the counting and maybe being wrong. I'd rather just estimate it high and call it good.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #7  

Thanks for your answers. Photochick, you're probably right- the amount the leaves the burger on the grill as compared to in the pan is probably not huge. I'm sure there's some, but I'll try to get the lighter meat when we have more money and hopefully it won't really matter.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:34 AM   #8  

I know one recipe of the really flavor and not heavy chicken..
Broiled Chicken Breast
no calories... Depends on how many salt and pepper you put...
booo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #9  

Interesting querie

I'd say likely not very different than just a regular old gas or charcoal grill method
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote