Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #1  
Mel

Default December 08!

Monday and a new month...the perfect "get back on track day". And boy do I need it. Cardio this morning felt like something I'd never done before, even thought my last good cardio was only 3 days ago.

As trying a time of year this is for dieting, my goal is to get 4-5 pounds off by Christmas. Since I'm probably carrying at least 2 bloat pounds from Thanksgiving and having days off, that should be doable.

How is everyone? Anyone getting snow dumped on them?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

So far no snow. Although they are predicting just a dusting throughout the day. It's supposed to be above 35 degrees so I'm not really concerned.

Big "remove the tooth that isn't loose" day for DS1. I feel bad for the little guy this is the fourth time he has had to have this done. Oh the joy.

Cardio done. Squats, squats and more of those this morning. Along with a few deadlifts and core work. I'm meeting a friend this morning to do some outdoor walking as well.

Mel, good luck with your goal for loss. I'm up a little too. Too many carbs of course. Nothing that a really good week of focused clean eating won't take care of. Here's to a week of losing five pounds of water.

Have a great morning everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Happy December all!

I'm thrilled to finally be able to say........

I've gone 6 months without a new kidney stone!!!!! Now this may seem like a huh? moment to most, but the truth is, the overwhelming odds are that once a victim of them, you will get more. Unless you make some serious lifestyle changes, which I've done. May 22 was my last attack and I had my surgery on May 29. I've been literally holding my breath these last 2 weeks and joyously greeting each morning that I awoke without pain. Seriously! It's THAT bad. A new month, December 1, so I feel it's safe to say. And the big deal is that I didn't make it to 6 months between episode 1 and 2, so for me, this is huge. I hope this means I've figured it out and can be free of them from now on. (someone knock on some wood for me, will ya? )

In other good news, EZ put up a turkey trot challenge, and I get to report that I completed my first 5K ever!!! How's that for middle age? It was on my treadmill and it wasn't the best time ever, but still a major accomplishment. Unfortunately, I got a calf cramp with about 5 mins to go that I tried to work thru, and it has seized up on me and stretching afterward on the stair seemed to make it worse. I'm elevating and icing it right now and will wrap it in about an hour. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Anyway, here's the original post and some pix from the TTThread.

Lydia, sorry to hear about your DS. WHy does this keep happening to him? Is this part of his orthodontia treatment? I think I had 2 pulled myself for that but we've been delayed on DD getting hers started. Even at 9, her last 6yo molar isn't in yet & they won't start them until that is in apparently!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Turkey Trot Done! My FIRST 5K ever - in my life - at midlife!!! 48.29

I walked quickly mostly at 3.8 range, did 3 sprints, one at 4.5 for 3 mins, then 5.0 for 2 mins (too much bounce going on tho), and then again at 4.5 for FOUR minutes - my longest! Ended strong with a duck walk at 4.0 to get it done under 49 - my goal. Next time will be 45:00 even.

oops, before I say that, when IS the next time?!? lol

Anyway, it felt great and I still FEEL great! Here are some photos to prove it.

Thanks EZ for putting this challenge together!!

1. The midway point - not quite sure this is going to work out...........
2. The results
3. Thumbs up - I DID IT!!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to view image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5K 001.jpg (14.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 5K 002.jpg (9.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 5K 003.jpg (16.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by sportmom; 12-01-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: pix
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Fran - Congrats!

As for me, I feel like my body is breaking down on me. So on Friday, I was supposed to run 2 miles. I ended up running about 1.5 miles and walking about .8 miles. My calf cramped and seized up on me near the end and its hurt ever since!

I was supposed to run 2.5 miles yesterday but calf was still hurting a little AND I was feeling tired. This morning I woke up exhausted. I've been feeling quasi sick for 2-3 weeks. I'm never full on sick but I'm also hardly ever full on well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #5  

Nelie, sorry to hear of your borderline sickness. I noticed I was perpetually cold and tired all before TG. Finally during the last 4 days I guess I ate enough with the holiday that I felt good for once. Makes me wonder if I was working out too much/getting enough calories. Sorry to hear too that we are the injury calf sisters. Your update about yours still hurting did not make me happy. Hope you find some relief soon.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Put me on the list of sickies! I saw a walk-in doc for a UTI on 11/23, took 7 days of antibiotics, and woke up this morning feeling like I did on the first day. Went to my regular doc, and lo and behold, still infected. New drugs, and for longer. Boo. At least I know why I'm still feeling draggy. I slept at least 9 hours each night of the long weekend. And I feel like I could go to bed now for the night.

Great job on the 5K Fran. ANd on passing (whoops!) the 6 month mark.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #7  

Well, I started to put NRLW on my workout plan, but I'm not allowed until at least next Wednesday. I just joined my Y and have access to a gym at work, so am planning to just do something. I am so frustrated, and it is hard to get my head around the abrupt change in plans when I was just getting back on a roll. Sigh. Onward.

Anybody have any experience with FitLinxx?

Pat, hope you feel better soon!

Fran, I've had a couple of kidney stones myself (while pregnant) and know how much they hurt. I'm really glad it has been a while for you.

Nelie, are you overtraining? Do you need to take a couple easy weeks?

Lydia, ouch for your DS!

Mel, I think this is a good time of year to focus on weight loss, since it makes passing up all the junky food so much easier than if you are "just" maintaining.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #8  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Get well soon to all you sickies!

Mel, I have a hard time believing that you somehow gained a few pounds. But I will have to be a bit more careful about my eating as well. The last week or so I slipped a few times (returning home very late at night on a few nights with nothing "ready to eat" at home so there were a few McD's sandwiches () - I do wish I was one of those chicks who get uncomfortable after eating junk food but my stomach just continues to love it.

After over 2 weeks of sleeping absolutely terribly at night (waking up at night and not being able to go back to sleep for hours) I finally slept well last night and I feel like a new person. yay!

Monday is my "off" day - I did laundry and cooked some food so I should be good for being at the gym each day for the rest of the week. 1 hour of Zumba tonight - ole!!!!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #9  

Yea! My calf is better! I swear by RICE'ing now! I uncompressed it for sleeping and by morning could walk normally again. I'm still taking it easy tho - no treadmilling today, but did get in a FBWO which included step-ups.

Pat, I'm sorry for your uti's. My sister has been dealing with these for the first time in her life and attributes it to hormonal changes from her stage of life, so she is drinking as much water as me these days. I pass that on in case it helps. Hopefully they tested you again, bc i'll just share that my first kidney stones last october were treated initially as UTI's. In my case tho, they both occurred on weekends and so i was treated over the phone without giving a sample.

Anne, stones while pg! I think that is the ONLY thing that could be worse than stones surgery. Strong you for getting thru that in one piece.

Felt so hot, truck-run-over fatigued last nite, couldn't decide if I was getting sick or it was post 5K achies (silly, I know, it wasn't like it was a 1/2 marathon!) Advil didn't even help. I finally decided it had been a week since my last fbwo and that was probably why my muscles hurt - they needed to be worked. I went to bed early under the electric blanky and waited til this morning hoping I would be able to workout. My kids have been sick mildly 3 times already this fall with colds/upper resp. icks, and I've dodged them all. This is a big change for me, the former germ magnet.

Last edited by sportmom; 12-02-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My calf is doing better although its a bit sore today after I did 34 minutes on the elliptical last night. I also had my physical therapist mess with it a bit when I went yesterday.

Soo... It looks like no running tomorrow and I may walk my entire 5k on Saturday
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #11  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hey there chicks! I do hope all injuries and ailments are on the upswing.

My report is that I am consistently feeling achey somewhere due to upper and lower body workouts on various days recently.

Thanksgiving threw my workouts for a little loop. It's just so easy to stop good habits and pick up bad ones!!

But I'm back to workin' it and look forward to growing some muscles
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #12  
Mel

Fran, congratulations on 6 months stone free. After watching my dh's pain, I can understand what a relief that milestone is. He is at 2 years and a few months

Yesterday I did an extra short run after I got home from work. I think I may add double cardio a few days a week to try to shake things up. I really can't change my lifting due to the "no sweat" issue, but I can add cardio at home.

Tomato- Maintenance is a minute-by-minute struggle for me. I work really hard, but I could easily gain back all the weight. I think most people who are in my shoes would say nearly the same thing. That's why gaining back ANY terrifies me, and why I work so hard. At 5'2" and 54 years old, it is very easy to gain, and any gain is visible.

Cardio done, back and chest at the gym. I have a semi-mandatory "Talbots party" tonight where I hope to neither eat, drink or buy. Ugh.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Ugh. Maintenance and weightloss. I was thinking about this during my cardio too. I've been thinking about how I initially lost the weight and why I've kind of stopped just ten or twelve pounds from my goal. Without all the psychology wrapped around it my habits have been an eating style that reflects about 85% of the consistency I used while losing. When I need to lose I am able to jump back into loss mode but for some reason I just haven't stayed there long enough to get passed my 126 mark. Perhaps this needs to be something for me to evaluate for the upcoming year.

Mel: Like you, I am also considering another at home cardio session. Even if it's just within 15 minute intervals. Just to bank a little extra activity right now. You know, it's funny with my bike set up in the basement I feel like I now have a license to eat more. Yet, I have to put those padded shorts on and head downstairs for a real session.

Fran! I your pictures. Thanks so much for sharing with us. You look so happy even when you thought you weren't going to make it. Nice display screen too! I'm reading a book right now that refers to the importance of Flow. Perhaps this may apply to your 5K. I know it applied to my crazy adventures this past summer. Flow. This is a term developed by psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Don't ever ask me to pronounce that correctly. He has written a book called Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. Within this book he writes about the importance of a mindful challenge. That true optimal experiences that produce the greatest enjoyment are based upon a mindful challenge that requires deep concentration. Of course this applies to many goals we may strive for ourselves but also very much during exercise. So Fran, did you have an optimal experience three quarters of the way through that workout and at the end once you realized you were going to accomplish this for yourself? Within his book he states:

The pursuit of a goal brings order in awareness because the person must concentrate attention on the task at hand and momentarily forget everything else. hmmmm. These periods of struggling to overcome challenges are what people find to be the most enjoyable times of their lives. Yep, I love to share my fitness accomplishments with anyone willing to stand still long enough By stretching skills, by reaching toward higher challenges, such a person becomes an increasingly extraordinary individual. See, there's hope for all of us. Who would have guessed we could glean all of this from a really good workout?

Hope everyone else is feeling better soon. Not having access to your workout "flow" can make life pretty miserable. Fortunately, it's only short term.

I had a not so optimal experience this morning and I am happy to go home with all my teeth in place. I over fatigued my upper body. Let's begin there. When I attempted to raise the Oly bar to put it back on the rack from the floor I underestimated it's weight once I got it to halfway up my chest, it hit the railing that circles the entire fitness area. Yep, it made a huge noise that even I could hear over my headphones. If that were enough I then banged it when trying to place it back up to the stays on the rack (by accident...again.) and it kicked back and hit my lower lip. I just felt it and I think my chin took most of the impact. Thankfully no blood, no bruises, no loose teeth. It did wake me up at 6:00am though. ~sigh~ I'm such a dork.

Enjoy the day everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #14  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

The thought of maintenance scares me. Who would have thought that losing weight could be so much fun.
Theoretically, I have only 8 more pounds to lose to reach my goal, even though the said goal was set when I had really no idea how much weight I should lose. I can tell it will be require more than just 8 lbs to get rid of the blubber that is covering my abdominal section; and even more will be required to drop my body fat by almost 4%. (Seriously, I have no idea how midwife managed to squeeze hers down to just 14%).

My worst problem is my insomnia right now. I sleep very poorly, waking up each night at least once and staying up & wide awake for hours. I don't feel very productive at work nor at the gym. No idea how to break the voodoo (it can't possibly be anything else).

As of next week, I will try to move my weight lifting sessions to the early a.m. to see if it will with the sleep somewhat. I completed my three sessions with the cute trainer (yesterday). I will miss that kiddo, he really was cute and we had fun. We argued about something last night (mock-argued) and I said "You are supposed to motivate me!"; and he says "You are already over-motivated, I have to calm you down." LOL

Zumba tonight, legs tomorrow. I started doing Smith machine squats and they're killing both my quads as well as the area behind my neck where the bar sits (even with the foam noodle on).
I am such a whiner today, eh?
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #15  

Lydia, it's funny that you posted that about the journey, because yes, I have been getting satisfaction from the challenge. And not just on the treadmill, but on the journey. It's like I have this secret resolve or commitment, I don't know. But over the weekend we were in a mega retailer walking around and I just HAD to go look over the christmas candies display - all the junk I used to end up head down in - the chocolates, tins of cookies, etc. I was drawn there, I had to look, but almost as if to go thru the exercise of being better than them, so that I could physically decide to walk away. I must have looked so odd bc I was walking thru the little displays and really intently looking down at the pkgs as if I was going to buy but my brain said, 'nope, none of these really taste good.' I sense it turning in to one-upmanship in the grocery store too as I have to look at what other people are buying, what my dh will get, etc., and have that little brain conversation where my brain is telling ME (not the reverse) that that stuff is crap. It's been quite weird. It's me against the world, me and my secret, or whatever you want to call it. But having this fire in my heart gives me pleasure, yes.

Pat - how are you feeling right now? Better yet? I hope.