Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Default Worldlies: Dreams and Decisions in December

Now is the time to begin to think about our achievements for this past year, our future hopes and dreams, our lifestyles and where we want to go in 2009. Apparently from February 4th 2009 it is the Chinese Brown Earth (Soil) Cow Year. It is the year of the Ox which is my sign. I'll have to go back and figure out why it is to be the Brown earth and cow year.

Anyway - from where I sit it is now December 1. You may wish to carry on with the old thread until tomorrow.

A dream is your creative vision for your life in the future. You must break out of your current comfort zone and become comfortable with the unfamiliar and the unknown.
K Denis Waitley

Last edited by Shad; 11-30-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Adding Inspiration
Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Thanks for the set up and looking after us, as always Shad.

I will take your words to heart and go sleep on them right now.

Oh and to close out November to Remember - today with my grocery discount, I paid 61 cents - yes, that is no dollars and 61 CENTS a gallon for gasoline. It was a shame that I had half a tank of gas and wasn't on fumes. A bit over half a tank cost me 6 whole dollars to fill up. I don't even REMEMBER when gas was under a dollar. Was I driving yet????

Pleasant dreams to the northern hemisphere, and a good afternoon to our Shad.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 AM   #3  
Choose your hard

Oh and since it's 32 minutes into December, I guess I can change the avatar now...
Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #4  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,

Happy new month to you all. Can you believe it's December already? I can't. Yet another opportunity to start fresh. I did by not lazing about in bed this morning. While on vacation I had reverted back to my natural body clock of night owl. So falling asleep was a bit of a problem last night. So was getting up this morning. I woke up at 5 but dozed off and decided to get out of bed ahead of the alarm at 5:45. Thank goodness we didn't get the frozen wet stuff they talked about. The commute will be frustrating enough as it is.

So it's the year of the Shad? I am not familiar with the Brown Earth/Cow symbols. More of the rabbit and the horse and ox and such. I can never remember what I am - horse perhaps. I do know that DH and I are compatible, whatever we are. I hope by now you have escaped the gaze of the Yankee from Perth and that things are calm in your world.

I hate to sip coffee and run, but I need to make my lunch, get dressed and get to the office reasonably early. I am sure I have a ton of email to go through (I did not turn my laptop on even once while on vacation) and I'm not even sure I remember my passwords

Will leave a hot pot of coffee (or tea) on for the rest of the worldlies following me in this morning.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #5  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

ANNIE...YOU COME AND I'LL SAVE A SEAT FOR YOU AT ARTS & CRAFTS! BRING THE ADULT CELEBRATORY DRINKS! BY THAT TIME I COULD USE ONE! A PEDICURE TO START WORK??? WILL YOU BE GOING BAREFOOT??? EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF JOB IS THIS???

CEEJAY...HOW CUTE HE MUST HAVE LOOKED. IN MY HEAD HE WILL ALSWAYS BE A YOUNG MAN!

HAPPY...LOVE THE SNOOPY DOG! JUST WATCHED CHARLIE BROWN YESTERDAY! HAPPY DECORATING. THE HOUSE MUST LOOK LOVELY WHEN IT'S ALL DONE. ENJOY! HOPE THE SNOW IS LIGHT FOR COMMUTING!!! THE WREATH TAKES 150 BAGS EACH! AND I ORDERED THEM ON THE INTERNET USING MY CARD. THEN I GET REIMBURSED.

SHAD....JUST FOUND THE LINK FOR HERE...THANKS FOIR THE NEW MONTH!! FEELS GOOD TO LET THE LAST ONE GO!! HAPPY YEAR OF THE BROWN EARTH COW TO YOU TOO! I WILL PUT THAT ON MY LIST OF THINGS TO GOOGLE!! STAY WELL!

I AM ON THE RUN. LOTS TO DO AND DECORATE. I MIGHT BE SCARCE THIS WEEK WITH PERSONALS. I APOLOGIZE AHEAD OF TIME. JUST HOPING TO KEEP THE ENERGY LEVEL HIGH WILL BE A FEAT IN ITSELF!!
HAVE A GREAT WEEK EVERYONE AND MAY ALL OUR DREAMS FOR 1009 COME TRUE!! SO LET'S ALL WISH AWAY!!!
HAPPY MONDAY/TUESDAY!!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #6  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Morning ladies --

I'm angry at myself today. I've put on so much weight (probably 12-15 pounds in the last couple months). At first, I could blame it on prednisone and not exercising due to pneumonia. And now, I'm still doing crappy with my eating and not exercising at all. I'm having an appointment with my doc this Friday to review my most recent fasting blood sugar labs, and I'm just praying that I'm not back in the borderline diabetes range again. My wonderful size 14 pants are tight again. I know what I have to do, I just need to do it. I'm going to try and go to the gym tonight if the roads are okay. We got 10" of snow last night and DH drove me into work. If I don't get to the gym tonight, then I for sure will go tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday. I want to lose 5 pounds by Christmas.

In addition to adding the gym to my schedule, I need to write our annual Christmas letter and do website work. But it'll all keep me out of trouble. Now if it could just keep me out of the Reese's pieces!!

Oh, I forgot to post this over the weekend....according to the food allergy tests that my doc did...I'm not allergic to any of the foods that typically cause allergies. However, on Friday evening I had a HORRIBLE reaction. Worst ever! Hives all over my body. It felt like thousands of needles were poking in my skin. It was so painful to even move. I took two Benadryl, but it took over an hour for it to kick in. I did not use the EPI-Pen the doc prescribed for me as I wasn't having trouble breathing and I didn't feel I needed to go to the ER (which I would have to do if I used the EPI Pen). I'm calling the doc today to see if he can give me a complete allergy test. On Friday before the reaction, I had brought up Christmas stuff from the basement (meaning exposure to lots of dust). I ate Thanksgiving leftovers (so it couldn't be the food - because I didn't have a reaction on Thanksgiving). And I did laundry (am I allergic to the laundry detergent or fabric softener - it doesn't bother me to wear the clothes or use the towels). It's all so weird. I just never want to have another reaction like I had Friday. It was awful!

Carla - So sweet of you and all the worldlies to shower my DH with good luck so that he'll get some great job offers. My penguins are quiet....no flashing lights....no music.

Mel - Thanks for all the good thoughts. This year will end on a happy one for me and my DH and our family. I know that he WILL get a great job in the next week or two and I'll get back on track in terms of my health. So nice that you're still coordinating all the movies for the other residents! Baggie wreaths! So pretty and shimmery! What a great idea! Have fun decorating and I hope your busy week is fun and not too tiring!

Happy - 3 hershey kisses is 1 point? That's good to know. I'm going to have to pull out my points counter fer sure to help me get back on track. I saw Saturn and Jupiter close together too. That was so cool! I'll have to remember to go outside tonight (hopefully the skies will be clear) so I can see the three planets together. I totally agree that women should get extra time off - more to do. As for me, I am thankful to be at my job. Very thankful. You actually got snow too? I don't know how much your DM got in the Chicagolands, but we sure got a lot here. $0.61/gallon for gas! Wooo hoooo! It was rough getting up for me too. Today was my one Monday a month to be at work by 6 am, so between that and the snow, I had to leave the house by 5:15 - which meant my alarm rang at 4:30. At least I get to go home early.

Shad - Sorry to hear the sad news from the plant. I'm glad to hear you're not worried about your situation. Do you think that's why your boss is being vague about your status after Christmas? It is pretty rough to get this kind of news right before Christmas. Thank you so much for setting up the new thread. I have accomplished a lot this past year, especially in terms of my health, and hopefully I have not done too much backsliding. Time for a :buttkick: and to get back on track.

Ceejay - Glad you made it home okay and that you had a nice time with your relatives in Springfield. You saw 2 bobcats? Wow! I've never seen them in the wild. I'm so glad you enjoyed the concert! I wasn't aware that Andy Williams was still alive. But I did see Tom Jones perform on the Graham Norton show over the weekend. He's lookin' older, but still sounds great!

Annie - I wish I could say that my weight gain was because my pooper was backed up...but no...it's real and accurate and no amount of pottying will make it go away. I only did a bit of shopping on black friday...and I went late enough so that the crowds were gone. Good for you for making fun plans for this week and pampering yourself in advance of starting your new job! I'm so happy for you!! How wonderful that you got over $500 back from your mortgage company and a $100 rebate from Verizon! YGG! I'm afraid to ask, but what is "butt chicken"??

Patty - I'm so glad you had a nice b'day with your sister-in-law and niece! And a nice Thanksgiving with your family!

Ruth - I hope the Christmas pageant went okay. How fun that the three doggies had a nice weekend of playing!

Well, this post is long enough. I would appreciate any and all butt kicks to get me back on track! I WILL lose 5 pounds by Christmas, come h*** or high water (or high snow - LOL). DH will have a great job with a wonderful, stable company within the next two weeks! And 2009 WILL be the year that I get to goal weight! How's that for thinking positive! If you can believe it, you can achieve it...or something like that!

those I didn't get to personally.

Love and Happy December hugs to all,

Last edited by diyana; 12-01-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #7  
Smackin' into a Wall

Shad~ Thanks for the thread, Nice Fellow Ox Lady! I’m a Yin Metal Ox, if that means anything to you. I guess you would be a Yin Earth Ox, so maybe this dirt yaer will bring you great luck. BTW. I like this month’s title. December is a month for dreams and wishes, isn’t it?

Michelle ~ You could be taking thoughts directly out of my brain as well. I’m back up five lbs in the last month and if I don’t stop this it’s not going to be a pretty sight. So, I’m going to give myself a kick in the butt and get back to what needs to be done. Do we maybe need to have a December thread challenge? Something really specific like:
I will work out X times a week;
I will eat 3 servings of veggies and two of fruit every day;
I will drink 8 glasses of water; or,
I will not eat any decadent foods unless they are 10 out of a score of ten, even if that means I take one bite and throw out the rest (or feed it to my husband)
What do you (and anyone else) think?
I wonder if you are allergic to indoor or outdoor molds. There are many of those lurking in dust bunnies. Good for you to demand a complete testing.

Happy~ Wow 61 cents a gallon? That’s obscene! I thought we were doing well at 78 cents per litre. Good for you for avoiding the dreaded laptop while you were on vacation. I have coworkers who check their mail on vacation and it makes me want to slap them… it’s called a vacation because you don’t do work, kids! Why is that a difficult concept to grasp?? Good luck easing back into the grind.

Mel~ hang some garland for us, (or rather get some strapping young man to hang some garland for us), ok?

Ok, I need to get back to work. It’s a drizzly, blustery, damp-to-the-bone day the likes of which are all too common here in The Big Smoke in December. At this point, I would be happy to see snow. It would be festive and much less depressing, but we take what we are dished up. Good day to be inside with some tea, a cat or two, and a good book. Instead I’m wrangling database administrators and going to long meetings. Sigh.

Gotta run off. My greetings to all the Worldly chicks!

Last edited by Madcat; 12-01-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #8  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good December Afternoon...

Freakin freezing, spuing snow all over the place, thank God it is not sticking.

Michelle....no time like the present for both of us to grip it and get in control of our weight and exercise. Just going back to work will be more exercise for me than I have gotten in the past 8 weeks. Butt chicken is....a whole chicken with a half a can of beer up its butt, baked standing up in the oven or grill outside. There are spices and such added. If interested, I will post it. Let me know.

Shad...thanks for the new thread, what would we do without you, my dear. Unfortunately, my birth year makes me the RAT. hahaha.

Madcat...greetings to you too. It is the same yuck weather here as you all are having. I dislike being cold.

MEL...well the pedicure is really for me. I like my toes looking good, especially when they are viewed by others...i.e. Tony...hehe. I saw a magazine in the drug test lab that would be great for you to use called Family Fun. They have a website...Familyfun.com. Check it out.

Happy...great price on gas. The cheapest around here (without a discount) is 1.48. I think I paid like 55 cents a gallon when I started driving.

Ok, on my background check, they want a copy of my high school transcripts or a copy of my diploma. I have neither. It was 30 years ago. Anyone have suggestions on where I might get either of the above? I am clueless. Cripe, I am doing good to remember last week, much less 30 years ago. HELP!!

Have a marvelous day all.

Love and Hugs,
Old 12-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #9  
Choose your hard

Annie - hopefully you remember where you went to High School and that the school is still open. Call the school - they will send you your transcripts. I had to do that too like 20 years after I graduated. If the school is no longer open then contact the town's board of education. It's not as difficult to get as you think, unless there was a devistating fire or something. Besides, I think they microfilmed and then digitized those kinds of records.

And I would take a cold, but clear blue day or snow over a dreary, cold gray dingy day too.

I saw 6 snowflakes on my windshield this morning when I got to an expressway overpass. For some reason, it's always moist there - always rains the hardest in that spot, etc. Rest of the drive was quiet thank heavens.

Last edited by happy2bme; 12-01-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #10  
Creating a Healthier Me

Madcat - I'm glad I'm not alone in this boat. Today, during lunch hour, a co-worker and I climbed 7 flights of stairs (170 steps). It took about 15 minutes roundtrip and was a great cardio (and lung) workout. I was wheezing by the 5th floor, but I made it.

I'm hereby setting the following realistic goals for my December challenge.
I will do the "7 flights" at least 3 days per week.
I will workout after work at least 3 days per week
I will drink 64 ounces of water daily
I will not have any soda until I drink all my water
I will eat 3 servings of veggies per day

Thanks for the tip about indoor/outdoor mold allergies. I know I've tested positive for mold allergies years ago, but I've never had it cause such a drastic skin reaction (more of a respiratory reaction). Anyway, I'm no expert, so I made an appointment with my allergist for additional testing this Friday.

Last edited by diyana; 12-01-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #11  
Creating a Healthier Me

Annie - You're so lucky this heavy yucky snow ain't sticking where you live. DH just spent 3 hours clearing the driveway and the back patio.

You definitely have cheaper prices on gas where you live. The cheapest here is now $1.79. But that's a whole lot better than $4 and up per gallon, so I'm not complaining!

Last edited by diyana; 12-01-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #12  
Choose your hard

Dear Chicks,

I'm sorry to hear that so many of us are struggling with the excess poundage. For me it happened just before Halloween. Some of us (myself included) brought in some candy for the community candy jar. I had forgotten that with me, there is no such thing as innocent noshing. One thing led to another as well as the bursitis incident and all my old habits returned. So did 5 pounds. I was really bummed about it and then said, you can undo what you've done and now you'll suffer a bit because it comes back 3 times as fast as you can get it off. Even last week we ate rather goofy with us being off. I still have tummy issues with the meds so when I need to go out shopping or go out at all, I can't eat. At all. Even coffee is risky. So there were several days last week when I only ate once a day in the evening. I know it's not healthy but I had no choice. And my stomach has shrunk a bit so it's not like I eat 4,000 calories when I do sit and eat.

I am feeling the effects of poor eating - sluggish system with hardly any fruits and veggies, skin is really dry due to the weather and lack of me drinking water and I find when I sit at the computer or on the couch too long, I get achy.

So... seeing as how it's a new month, I have decided not on a challenge - tho I like Madcat's ideas - but I am starting slow. Drink a whole bottle of water at work - one in the morning, one in the afternoon or at least one bottle and some green tea. Take my lunch to work and plan to eat veggies (tossed salad for lunch) and fruit (pear for a snack). I make sure I get up and walk around periodically and walk a bit farther in the office just to get some extra steps in. I made a list with 4 things on it and stuck it to my computer at home. My goal is to pick at least 2 of them and get them done tonight rather than surfing the 'net. So I am trying slowly to get back in gear again. That's my plan, might be a slower pace than some of you prefer, but it will work for me.

Michelle - I hope your blood sugar isn't back up again. I think you need to pitch the Reese's pieces or divy them up into tiny bags and store them in the freezer - one portion at a time. I think there's about 15 in a fun size snack bag portion. And if having some sugar makes you want more sugar, then perhaps it's better to find an alternative like a smoothie made with a tsp of peanut butter, some sugar free cocoa and some vanilla yogurt and ice cubes. So you got 10 inches of snow??? I was talking to my nephew last night - they live in Kenosha and he said they had changed the forecast from 10 inches to 4 to 6 inches. Sounds like you got pounded. Be careful shovelling today - I hope it wasn't the heavy, wet stuff. As far as the allergies go, I am allergic to mold which means I also have a hard time with alchohol fermentation. I used to have to pop 2 Actifed tables if I planned on having any wine. Within 20 minutes of a few sips, I would get all coughing and wheezing. The problem with food allergies is that they can be so widespread and sometimes like you - you can't figure out what triggered them. What a scary episode that must have been for you

Back later...
Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #13  
Choose your hard

Yay for you on the 7 flights of stairs Michelle I'd a been wheezin' too. And wobbly legs.

Gas here is $1.55 for regular.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #14  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy - I'm right there with ya' with the dry skin due to weather and lack of water, and I do feel really achy sometimes when I sit around - gotta get back to movin'. And hey, it does not matter how fast or slow we get back in the groove....just so long as we get our groove back, right ladies?!! I'm glad you've set realistic and healthy goals for you too. It sounds like many of us aren't waiting for New Years Day to get back on track! to us!! You're right about ditching the Reese's pieces. I need to find healthier alternatives. The smoothie sounds yummy! Thanks! And thanks also for the hug for my allergy episode. The doc tested me for all common food allergies, and everything came back negative. He even tested me for soy twice. It could be some weird secret spice allergy. Or who knows? I hope we get it figured out soon. Funny about your nephew's forecast going from 10" to 4 to 6"; ours went from 3" to 10", and it was the wet heavy stuff. It's supposed to snow more on Wednesday - hopefully not nearly as much.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Hi all,
Shad
Thanks for starting the new thread.
Michelle
Congrats on those 7 flights of stairs. I'm out of breath after 2 flights. After that 45 degree hill I had to climb up to the Moon River Theater with my bil pushing me from behind, I've decided that I needed to climb more stairs at work.

Happy
I was a little bit disappointed with the no snow this morning. I thought Missouri gas at 1.57 was a good price. I can remember way back(1965-1970) when there was some gas wars and it got down to 25 cents/gallon.
I sure hope the clouds go away tonight. I really want to view the stars tonight!

I'm with the rest of you. I've gained some weight in November. My main problem is eating to much after 7 p.m. It's going to be a tough habit to break, but it has to be done. Plus I need to journal my food.
Closed Thread