General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Default Cold Sore Medications

Last edited by Moonlight Mistress; 01-25-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Moonlight Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

My dad swears by dosing with L-Lysine as soon as you feel one coming on (that prickly tingle that indicates you're about to get another). He says it makes a huge difference!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #3  
FB

I'm a BIG baby about cold sores, they send me into panic mode! I guess I whined enough to my dermatologist, because he prescribed me a year's supply of Valtrex. Since I don't get them that often I don't take them everyday, just when I think one might be coming on. Which more often than not, is me freaking out over a pimple Anyhow, they work, very well, I was told to do a dose every 12 hours for the first day that I think one is coming, every day thereafter.

Where I used to get them 3-4x a year I now haven't had one this year. That could also have a lot to do with my healthier eating lifestyle.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Cold sores are a herpes virus, related to chicken pox and shingles - which is why Valtrex - an antiviral usually prescribed for shingles - helps. I have them too, though not as often as it seems you do. Abreva really helps as does the L-Lysine. I'd see your regular doctor or a dermatologist about a prescription.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

I get them too, although if I feel them comming on, that burning itching feeling, I can take a pill right away and they won't break out. if they do come out if you treat them right away they go away much quicker too. They are unslightly and they hurt like heck!!! You shouldn't have a problem getting your Dr. to prescribe an anti-viral medication for you. I still take Zovirix (an older one) and it still works fine. Good luck!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I get gold sores too - in fact I'm just getting over one. I use teatree oil

It really helps. You can buy Abreva (http://www.abreva.com) - which can catch a cold sore quickly if you put it on the second you start feeling the tingle.... but come on - how often do we do that?

What I notice about the tea-tree oil, is it heals the cold sore quickly... and it's less expensive than Abreva (which is about $20 for a tiny little bottle here) whereas (pure) tea-tree oil (not tea tree oil cream, or tea tree oil blend) costs about $10, and can last a few years. You just need a little dab a few times a day and the cold sore will be gone within a few days

Tea-tree oil is great for many uses as well!

http://www.indianchild.com/tea_tree_...s_benefits.htm

Last edited by tamaralynn; 11-26-2008 at 08:04 AM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

My brother gets these and swears by Pomegranite lip balm. You can get it at health food stores.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralynn View Post
It really helps. You can buy Abreva (http://www.abreva.com) - which can catch a cold sore quickly if you put it on the second you start feeling the tingle.... but come on - how often do we do that?
Me. I do. I keep a little tube of Abreva in my purse at all times, just for that reason. Even if I only have 2 cold sores a year, they suck enough that it's reason enough for me to always have it. But it is very expensive. And worse, the stupid little tube constantly squirts out more and more cream and wastes the majority of it. I'll have to read up on cold sores and tea tree oil. I'm open to new ideas, but I'm always skeptical too.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #9  
FB

Tea tree oil is a great antiseptic, but I haven't found it speeds the healing time for me. It does make it feel better and I'm fond of that terrible smell.
One homeopathic remedy I've used is pretty simple - ice. You start icing it every hour or so for ten minutes before blisters erupt (ew, just ew). It really has helped to lessen the gawdawful appearance.
I'm such a baby like I mentioned though, I'll use Valtrex, ice it, Abreva it and if I can find the tea tree oil use that too.
Ha! I likely make mine worse with all of that fussing.

Last edited by FB; 11-26-2008 at 12:23 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i second the l-lysine...it really does help make they heal quicker...i get them too..when i do, i live by abreva and l-lysine.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

A doctor reccommended Campho Phenique to me years ago, it works, I always keep it on hand.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #12  

Last edited by Moonlight Mistress; 01-25-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Moonlight Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #13  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I use a combination of L-Lysine and tea tree oil. I also ice it frequently if I happen to be in a place where that would be convenient.

I used to get them on my lips - now I get them on the underside of my nose in between my nostrils. It hurts like crazy, but it is almost better because they are far less noticeable.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I find Campgo Phenique liquid in most drug stores, ask the pharmacist where it is. Some of these drug stores have there displays in unusual places, I find.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #15  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

It's actually common to be prescribed Valtrex for people who have frequent , large/painful cold sores or for cold sores that the OTC stuff just isn't hacking it. When I'm on internship or retail rotations, we dispense it frequently for cold sores.

Most general practitioners shouldn't have an issue with prescribing it if you ask about it. It's one of those things that they can't really judge how much the cold sores affect your life unless you let them know.

Now, also be forewarned, those things are monster large pills. Nothing is worse than counseling a patient about the medication and that horrified expression they get because their doctor didn't warn them. ;>
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote