Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #1  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Default For those of you who are parents...

...to you children, who is the cool one? Mom or Dad? Why?

My oldest (DD13) just told me that I wasn't cool because I don't watch cartoons and I don't know about half the music that is out right now like her dad. So her dad is the cool one and I'm the old one...nice.

Last edited by SBD Sass; 11-21-2008 at 09:01 AM.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #2  
cher37

gee...I don't know... my son (10 1/2) kind of likes it when I know the characters for his shows & chaotic cards. I enjoy his music too so I encourage him to listen to it. But my son thinks it's cool when my hubby goes to his school, with his suit & dark sunglasses on b/c he looks like a secret agent! (yep, he does )

I think if you think about it, there's stuff your daughter likes that you do..maybe clothes, make-up, girl talks...

"Cool", IMO, isn't about being their friend, it's about respecting you for who you are - MOM
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Yeah, she's 13. A HARD age. She doesn't know what she's talking about. At 13 I told my mom I hated her and didn't like her as a person, and that even if she wasn't my mom I wouldn't like her. She cried for days. I lied. I was just mad. I think my mom is the most wonderful person I know. I was really mean to my parents and I dont know why. Dont listen to the kid. She'll regret all she's ever said to you later on.

To answer your question, I've always thought both my parents were cool in their own way. My mom usually tried to keep up with what was popular and be the "cool" mom on the street. She was very welcoming of neighbor kids and our friends. Eventually most of them felt like my house was a second home. It wasn't unusual for a kid to just walk though the front door and look around in our refigerator for food or plop down on the couch and watch tv. People seemed to help themselves to whatever we had because it was okay and they were welcome to. So I'd say it was her. But my dad was really spontanous and would come home from work on a Friday and tell us to pack our things because we're going camping -- that night. He was the one who made it a priority to spend time with us and make memories and go out and do things with us. He was the one who took us on vacations. He would take me on a weekly "date." Just him and I, out to lunch or whatever. He did it with each of my siblings, too. So they were both cool in their own way.

Now that I'm talking about this, just a side note for anyone who is a parent... even if your kids dont respond well to spending time with you and going places with you, it really does mean a lot to them. And I'm so glad my parents weren't afraid to talk to us about taboo topics (like sex), because if they didn't my friends would be the ones I would turn to, and boy, they were just as messed up as I was. So, dont let bad attitudes discourage you.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #4  
getting back on track!!

I have two boys who are six and one. My husband is definatly the cool one in our family, at least to the six year old. he loves the same pizza buffet that I complain about. He bought the elcetric scooter for a birthday present when I was leaning toward the nice safe basketball hoop. Even last night he goes out and buys my son a Wii as an early xmas gift when I wanted it put up and saved. It's ok though, dad may be more fun but when it comes down to it both of my sons are now and always will me "Mamma's Boys." After all mom is the one they run to when they get hurt or when they are sad because mommy is the one that makes it all better.
brandy922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #5  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

lol- DH is definitely the cool one. - he is a big kid.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I always had much more in common with my dad. I took after him. But that of course has nothing to do with how much I love my mom. I can't think of either of them as "cool"
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #7  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

I never had a favorite. My family was super dysfunctional though... and I don't remember my childhood. Now my mom is my fav because she's just plain awesome.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #8  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

#1 (5 1/2 DS) would say Daddy, #2 (3 1/2 DS) would probably say Mommy. He's my mama's boy. DH is a big kid himself though, so he's definitely cooler...doesn't discipline as "badly" as me.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote