Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Days to remind me why i'm a veterinarian

Some days it gets hard to remember why I became a vet. A lot of times, I love what i do. I love the animals, love the medicine, and love working hard. But lately, many of the clients are getting more rude and inconsiderate (such as yelling at the staff and being down right rude). They seem to take the issues they have and place us at blame and forget things like manners. This really makes it hard to remember why I decided to become a vet. Today, is a day to help me remember and get thr those difficult clients. First...all my clients were unbelievably nice (maybe the turkey day coming up helps) but second...i helped bring 5 beautiful and cute pug puppies into the world via c-section. Mama was at day 65 (last day of gestation), fully dilated...and had no desire to bring the pups via natural means. So the owners opted for c-section. It was great. The whole family got to watch (we have a window for viewing) and the procedure went well and all puppies are doing great. The owners were so happy and relieved and the staff all helped revive the puppies. Everyone had a great day. Its was a wonderful day..and helped me remember why I really do love what i do..and why i continue to take the abuse some people choose to dish out...even if its for just one day in a few like these (:
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Aw.

I'm glad you had a great day like this and I'm really sorry that people are jerks. I just don't understand people sometimes.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #3  

You do an amazing job -- even if it often goes unappreciated

My sister is a vet tech and I hear her horror stories often from inconsiderate people but she also has the "good stuff". She's a big one to take baby kittens, birds, etc. home and get up every hour or so to feed/take care of them as well as sick animals that need extended care. She gets great satisfaction from her job, even with the jerks!!

After her boss saved our black lab (6 years old) last year by performing surgery to remove a hugh cancerous tumor off his tummy, I have even more respect for you guys -- you do great work!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

As an animal lover, I always admire vets (and I'm never rude to them!!). I enjoy reading this blog by a vet:http://www.yourpetsbestfriend.com/
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm so sorry there are so many inconsiderate people out there! I love my vet and couldn't imagine being rude to him. He recently hired another vet and she is awesome too. The vet techs are awesome as well. Much love to people who work in veterinary medicine!!
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/259/150

Height: 5'3

I'm an animal owner/lover and hear what you are saying, it's unfortunate when miserable people ruin your day. I volunteer at a shelter and there are some individuals who have a serious sense of entitlement.
It is a wee bit ironic that animals bring us joy and it's thier humans causing all the grief!
Merin2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

Thank you for sharing that great story. I love our vet. I think he is the most amazing person and he really loves animals and it shows. I couldn't imagine ever being rude to him. I know you work hard and have long hours. Here is wishing you more good days!
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I could never in a million years be rude to my vet. He would seriously lay the smack down on me Don't get me wrong, he's wonderful with our pets (our 11 year old cranky cat melts in his arms) but he's kind of intimidating to people.

Great story
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6.5

For crying out LolaDoggie...do you realize I read this crap at work!?!?!? I'm a blubbering mess! hahahaha!

Sooo sorry to hear about having to put your pets down. AHHHH, I can not even imagine that day. My two pups are literally part of the family, as I'm sure your cat and dog were. Putting them down would be like putting a child down for me...ah, I have to stop even thinking about it!!!!

But yeah, Who is the world would be rude at a vets office? I mean seriously??? What is there to be rude about? People drive me crazy sometimes. I always wanted to be a vet "when I grew up." But I couldn't handle the sad parts of it...kudos for wonderful people who can be vets and shame on the rude people!!!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

That post got me crying too.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #11  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

It's sad how rude people have become. I try very hard to treat everyone like want to be treated, because I know how I've had terrible days and still had to deal with the public and I would never want to add to someone's grief.

Yay for the pug puppies and for all the good moments! Vets rock!

I have to tell you what our quirky, funny vet said one day. He prescribed estrodiol for our greyhound mix in the hopes it would stop her occasional incontinence (it did). As I exited the exam room with her, pill bottle in hand and laughing with the people in the waiting room about my dog's new prescription, Jim stuck his head around the corner and said something I'll never forget: "no matter how much she takes, Emma's still going to be a b*tch!" We ALL lost it.

I love our vet.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

As a vet tech (13y now) I totally know where you are coming from!!!
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #13  
Cheesecake? Yes plz!

S/C/G: 155/149.8/135

Height: 5'7"

*Old post dig-up, sorry!

Just wanted to add, I'm also a vet tech, and I can't tell you how many times we've delt with the same issues of clients becoming more upset about finances and having homes foreclosed on and not being able to keep their pets.

It's great to hear your good story and to know that yes, even with the bad that we deal with, there are wonderful stories and wonderful pets that we see everyday that make us smile and remind us why we do what we do. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else.
LuckyJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 191/183/139

Height: 5'5"

My St Bernard thanks you!
MiaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #15  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

your so lucky I want to become a vets assistant.. how would I do that.. I'm In Washington state.. I think animals are really my calling.. but I don't thin kI could be a vet but I'd love to work as a "nurse" in the vet field...
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote