General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default "Duh" moments

I had 2 Duh moments this week, one of them may be hard to explain but I'll start with the easy one.

1) I was at the grocery store with my husband and he spotted a mix called 'whole wheat gingerbread mix'. It looked good and it does contain brown sugar and molasses but boxed mixes aren't an issue with me because they can be in the house for ages without me touching them. I figure it might be fun to experiment sometime so I bought it. Well every morning, I have a pumpkin/hot cereal mixture which I spice up. Lately I've been using a pumpkin pie type spice for it. Well I decided I wanted a gingerbread like spice so I looked at the box I bought from the store to see what spices were in gingerbread. Ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Umm Gingerbread has GINGER in it? DUH! I never thought of that. I guess because I never thought gingerbread tasted like ginger but now I get it.

2) I was looking at this gaming accessory store. They sell shirts and stuff. I'm not into gaming but I was doing a search through google for something and it led me there. So there were things about pirates. I just thought 'hey they like pirates too!' A couple weeks pass by and I was talking to my husband about pirated software and then it hit me. DUH they weren't talking about pirates in games, they were talking about people who pirate software. Although it does have a double meaning and could really mean both things.

Anybody else have duh moments?

Last edited by nelie; 11-24-2008 at 09:57 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just had one when I remembered to bring the snow brush INTO the house instead of leaving it in the car. In winter, I am constantly opening the car door to get the darn thing and ending up with snow all over the car seat.

You'd think I'd be smarter at my great age!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

LOL..for me..every day is a DUH moment LMAO. i'm sorry but sometimes i believe the smarter you get (ie more degrees) the dumber (aka more duh moments) you become. I swear I can spew off great medical advice for my clients, but some days i can't even remember how to put on my shirt the right way. I really am an air head at times!

Last edited by GatorgalstuckinGA; 11-24-2008 at 12:30 PM.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I remember one embarrassing day in 3rd grade when I raised my hand to ask the teacher, "how do you spell away?" I mean DUH!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Haha...my sister always says that I am the dumbest smart person she knows because I have no common sense and therefore have lots of "duh" moments.

The best one ever though was from my first year teaching at the high school. I had an engraved apple paperweight that my friend bought me for my graduation that had my name on it "Miss _____". Anyway, one of my freshmen boys picked it up and was staring intently at it. He finally asked me, "Now, when you get married are you going to change it to say Mrs. _____?" I kind of just stopped for a minute and answered back "Well, if I can find someone with my same exact last name that I am not related to and we fall in love and get married....then yeah, I'll just change it to Mrs.". Lucas just cracked up and commented on how silly that question sounded.

Last edited by Chele615; 11-24-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Hee hee. Both of those made me giggle.

I have my full share of "duh" moments, but I tend to blank them out, purely to spare myself the embarrassment of having to remember them later.

On the other hand, do you ever have an embarrassing moment ever pop back into your mind randomly and you get embarrassed all over again .. at the oddest times and for absolutely no reason? That happened to me just this morning out of the blue.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh, there have been so many.

I think one of the biggest was realizing that Aunt Flo was not short for "Aunt Florence."
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post

On the other hand, do you ever have an embarrassing moment ever pop back into your mind randomly and you get embarrassed all over again .. at the oddest times and for absolutely no reason? That happened to me just this morning out of the blue.
Oh my gosh! Only all the time!!

Can I share one of my DD's duh moments? She forgot her house key and a friend dropped her off at home after school. No problem--she scrunched in through the dog door into the garage. Then she scrunched through the dog door that leads from the garage into the house. Except WE NEVER LOCK THAT DOOR!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #9  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Classic, Allison!

I have so many duh moments, its hard to just pick a few. I remember once after a long shift working in a restaurant over summer i had to phone my parents to pick me up (i couldnt drive). And i stood at the phone for about 10 minutes trying to remember my own phone number! In the end i had to look it up in my cell phone!!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #10  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Glad I'm not the only one who can't remember my own phone number! Once while leaving a voice mail, I had to hang up and look up my phone number, then call back to leave the number on the 2nd message! DUH!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
In the end i had to look it up in my cell phone!!
I have caller ID at home and a couple of weekends ago there was a call. It didn't come up with the caller's name--just the phone number. It was local. Hmmm, can't figure that one out, but since it was local I answered it.

It was my daughter.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledOne View Post
I was watching that show on the food networks with Elton when he explains things. I was sitting with a guy I just started dating and the show was about bread. The explaination was about how the toaster was invented before sliced bread. I turn to him and said "Then what did they toast????" He was at least nice enough to say "I think they had to slice the bread theirselves" before laughing at me.
Love that one.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

OK, so I did this just last week Christmas shopping for my kids. I was standing in a puzzle store with my husband, looking at the jigsaw puzzles, and I suddenly looked over at him and said, "Jigsaw puzzles must have originally been cut out using a jigsaw." He looks at me, his eyes got wide, and at the same time, we both said, "I never thought of that before!"

Wow, 37 years and I never thought of the word "jigsaw" at the beginning of jigsaw puzzle MEANING something or that it was related to the tool in any way...kind of like the ginger in gingerbread.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

This makes me look REALLY dumb, but I finally realized that New England wasn't a state when I was 20.

It wasn't that I didn't know the states, because I did, and I have a good education. I just picked up that general impression somewhere along the way and never took the time to actually, you know, think about it or connect the dots. I was looking at a map with my ex one day and asked him where it was. He showed me, and I said "No, the state!"

I'll never live that down.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've always had the occasional ditzy "duh" moments, just like anybody else but brain fog is also a symptom of fibromyalgia, so now I have a lot more than my fair share and my family can laugh at me for hours (and frequently do) at family gatherings.

I'm particularly well known for putting things "away" in a place they don't belong. Like frozen fish sticks in the cupboard (luckily hubby found those before they started smelling funky or attacting critters) or the remote in the freezer (for some reason the freezer seems to be a very popular spot for me, so if I've lost anything, it's now the first place I look).

I also never have had a very good self-edit button, so what I think comes out of my mouth before I realize it is stupid. Like when a friend said she was buying a watch for her husband, and I don't even know why I said it, but I asked if she was getting him a rolex (I don't think I've ever known anyone who can afford a rolex - but especially this friend). She looked at me like I was had completely lost my mind.

One thing weird about the fibro brain fog is sometimes it interferes with finding the right word - even if it's a commonly used one. I used to get teased by friends because of my large vocabulary. They'd say if there were twenty short common words for a concept and only one unusual five syllable word - I would use the unusual long word (what can I say, I love language). Now they tease me because I often find that a word is on the tip of my tongue and I just can't access it, so I end up explaining the concept until they figure out what I'm talking about (until it feels lless like a normal conversations and more like a game of charades, pictionary and taboo all rolled into one). Because the "lost" word is usually simple, my audience never guesses very well. It's sort of like trying to think of cloud and I don't even think to use the word white - you know those things that are up in the sky (uh, you mean birds?) No they don't fly, they sort of just float (uh you mean blimps, balloons). No, they're fluffy (you mean dust mites, dandelion fluff). No, they're big and sometimes you look up and see shapes in them (uh, you mean clouds) Yeah, clouds.

Now for someone who is eligible to join Mensa (because of my qualifying 1983 ACT scores), I feel like my brain has been leaking out onto the ground behind me. A school counselor in high school told me I qualified to join Mensa, and I thought that was cool, but I've never been tempted to join (hey, it cost $25 to join) until after the fibro hit - now I want the proof that I "used to be" smart. Because IQ isn't thought to change over time, I could still use my 1983 ACT scores to get into Mensa. Boy would I be entertaining at the meetings.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-25-2008 at 06:49 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote