Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

Default Anyone switched from Synthroid, etc to Armour?

I've been hypo thyroid for 8 years, adn I take Levoxyl. My weight loss has been very slow for the amount of exercise and clean dieting that I do. I'm also insanely tired, hair falling out, etc. I had a dr appt this am with my internel med Dr, and I was going to as about having my meds increased, or to try somethign else, b/c I knew something was wrong.

My dr. thinks that my bloodwork shows teh right TSH level, but that my cells are not takins teh hormone in. So she wants to switch me to Armour.

Anyone BTDT? She also is testing me for IR. (PCOS was ruled out)
tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #2  

I had a similar exp. I tried Armour and had stomach bloating. Then switched to Thyrolar and did very well.

There is lots of discussion about how some women need to take T3 in their thyroid preparation. Doctors sometimes assume that we are all alike...men, women, young, old, etc. and this is not the case. Armour can be a good solution. Thyrolar is similar, but not always readily available. If you are taking Synthroid, still having trouble losing weight and your hair is falling out....these are signs that you might need separate T3 or a combination medication.

There is a woman by the name of Mary Shomon (might not have that exactly spelled right). She has written books on the thyroid and a thyroid diet. She is very good. She advocates using Armour. Regarding the diet...if I recall correctly, she talks about cutting way back on bread and sugar, exercising regularly and taking certain supplements.

Last edited by Fun Size; 10-03-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Fun Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 305.4/TICKER/160

Height: 5'3" (160cm)

Default I take both?

My doctor had me on both Armour Thyroid AND Synthroid (Levothyroxin)... But I have issues with taking pills, and always start, stop, start, stop... But that did more harm than good...
Does anyone know WHY my doc would put me on both?? It seemed strange to me..
awlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #4  

Why didn't you ask the doctor? I never just take medication without knowing the reason. Thyroid medication must be taken 1 hour before eating on an empty stomach to be effective.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/181/130

Height: 5'6"

I have been diagnosed now for 3 1/2 years. My issues are still uncontrolled by the Synthroid that I take. I asked my Dr. about switching to Armour. She said that she would do that if my numbers looked a little better, but because it is still so far from where it should be, she would only do it if I insisted. She said that her other patients on Armour had difficulty finding it earlier this year (that is that there wasn't any available to fill prescriptions).
I did convince her to test my T3 and TSH level rather than just my T4.
fancydancingfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

you might want to check out the info at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

i know MANY people that have switched from synthetic thyroid meds to Armour and are doing much better on the Armour. Synthetic thyroid meds only contain T4, and Armour contains BOTH T4 and T3. it can make a world of difference.

Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #7  
Sleep? What's that?

S/C/G: 225/225/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerchic89 View Post
I've been hypo thyroid for 8 years, adn I take Levoxyl. My weight loss has been very slow for the amount of exercise and clean dieting that I do. I'm also insanely tired, hair falling out, etc. I had a dr appt this am with my internel med Dr, and I was going to as about having my meds increased, or to try somethign else, b/c I knew something was wrong.

My dr. thinks that my bloodwork shows teh right TSH level, but that my cells are not takins teh hormone in. So she wants to switch me to Armour.

Anyone BTDT? She also is testing me for IR. (PCOS was ruled out)
Hi honey... I'm in the same boat as you. What are your TSH levels? Mine are still elevated, but they don't think they need to increase my meds or put me on anything else... but my weight won't budge. It's a neverending battle, I tell ya!
I was also tested for IR, and they said I didn't have it. However, when I was trying to get pregnant for the first time, I told the fertility doctor that I knew I was, despite what everyone said, he put me on IR meds (Metformin) and after 2 years of infertility, I got pregnant. So, even though my tests all came back normal, something was obviously going on. Now I have 4 kids, LOL!
Good luck honey, doctors can be so worthless sometimes.
Luvn4Bratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/215/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Why didn't you ask the doctor? I never just take medication without knowing the reason. Thyroid medication must be taken 1 hour before eating on an empty stomach to be effective.
Not only do you need to take it on an empty stomach, you need to wait 4 hours before having anything with calcium (calcium can block the absorption of many meds). Makes breakfast tricky, but I have whole wheat tost with PB & J every day. I went to a really great workshop about thyroid disorders and learned a lot. The biggest tip I got was to have TSH, T3, and T4 all tested to be sure that ALL of your levels are normal. If your regular doctor won't do it, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist who specializes in thryroid dysfunction.
melindarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Melindarae,
I just want to clarify so nobody gets confused. There are so many thyroid tests that it is easy to ask for one thing and get another. But when you say to get your T3 and T4 tested, you mean the FREE T3 and FREE T4 tests - right?
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #10  
Still Hanging Around:)

I'm at 137mg of Levothyroxine per day. I was pretty stable at 125mg, but my numbers started changing a bit. Prior to dx, I had frequent pins & needles through my neck, shoulders, arms. I started having rapid heartbeat, problems with my hair & skin, etc. I was falling asleep at my computer by about 9PM (I'm usually up til about midnight). Getting on the meds has certainly been good for me, though it never did much for my metabolism/weight.
sakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

I've been on Armour for about 8 weeks, and I think it;s just starting to make a difference. I feel less tired in teh afternoons. I'm still not losing weight like i think I should, but at least I am feeling a bit better.

I took a GTT to test insulin levels for IR, adn my insulin levels were low, so my dr says no IR or met for me. I saw a new endo 2 weeks ago who ran a ton of tests. some of my levels, like cortisol, are near the high range of normal, but everythign is within normal range. I think I'm just one of those people who has to work harder than most to lose weight...sigh!
tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #12  

You guys in the states are so lucky you have more brands and choices of thyroxin to try than we do in Canada. There are only 2 here both synthetic thyroid name brand and generic. After an off handed comment I read here I started asking my internal med Dr to switch me over... he said that they were both the same... it would make no difference. Finally he told me that if I really wanted he would but really I was not going to see any changes. That was just over a year ago. I have lost over 60 pounds!! I even have dropped my dose. I haven't change much of my eating habits, but after I started losing weight I moved more got a job that is better than joining a gym (they pay me to lift and run). My blood results are good on both. But I really felt bad on the other one... my gp had gave me meds for depression. No wonder I didn't feel any real diff on the depression meds. Anyway keep trying you can feel better even with a thyroid problem
housewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/227.4/160

Height: 5'4"

Housewife, what meds did your doctor change you to? I have been on Synthroid and Levothyroxine for a # of years. They said my t3 was normal (after I asked to have it tested) But, even on Weight Watchers and other programs I lost very little and gained it back. I was on prednisone for one year (autoimmune disease) and maybe adrenals still not working properly. I do wish doctors had more training. I was going to an endo but the internist put a nix to that. (long story) I have had a small adrenal cyst for years but have been told that it is o k. Really at my wit's end because of the weight and now--knee problems and getting around. Dead tired all the time! Wish I knew what to do. Anyone who has lost weight with hypothyroid is doing something right. Thanks for listening.
Lizabeth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/177/150

Height: 5ft 8in

Default Armour Thyrod is giving Hope

After almost 4 years, 2 endos and back to my regular GP I am finally feeling like I might be able to rejoin the world.
I had RAI twice and the waiting and waiting to see if anything was going to happen was cruel. As with so many others my body was on a downward roll. All of the bad things were happening to me (make the list so I can check all of the boxes) plus the worst, the weight gain and depression.
I was on levothyroxine (and others before) and just still felt so bad and getting fatter by the day. I even went to part time and lost my health insurance and other benefits at work and took my widows Social Security because it was too too hard to drag my aching body through what seemed like quicksand at work everyday and act like a happy person.
Anyway, at my wits end I went to my GP and told her that if I got to 200 lbs I could not be sure what I would do. Drama! She added the Armour Thyroid. What a wonderful relief but still no weight loss and here I am starving, not really but being good. I just couldn't get it out of my mind that I had to get off of the Levothyroxine. On my own, bad bad bad, I started taking 2 Armour in the morning and stopped the other completely.
Wow, talk about a new life. It has been 5 days and my world is coming back into color instead of black and white. Not enough time to be able to tell? Do I care if it's just the placebo effect? Not a bit! With the reading that I have done it appears that there might be an advantage to taking the Armour twice a day. That will be addressed later with my doctor after I get the courage to tell her that I have started dosing myself without going to medical school.
My take on doing all of the lab work is that it is Almost a waste of time and money. Many of you know how hopeless it is to be told that your labs are fine and there you are about ready to fall out of the chair in agony with a body that you feel is betraying you and no one will help.
In the few days since I re-medicated myself I have lost 3 lbs. Sounds like very little but since it was going up every day for months there is a small ray of Hope in my life.
grammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/177/150

Height: 5ft 8in

Uneducated guess: Doctor realized that you needed the T3 so added the Armour since you weren't making it on you own. You must try to find a doctor that will help you and then take your meds. I hate taking pills and even will suffer with a simple headache forever before taking anything. But, there are life threatening things that could happen without the thyroid meds so get yourself going, I know it's hard, and insist on being treated until you are feeling well. Good Luck!

Last edited by grammy; 01-02-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: reply to awlass
grammy is offline   Reply With Quote