Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #1  
LOVES BEING A LOSER!!!

S/C/G: SW219/CW118/GW126

Height: 5ft3in Surgery date is Saturday 6th December 2008 7.30am Roux-en-Y gastric Bypass (RGB)

Default 19 Days To Go Whoooop!!

Well Its 19 Days untill I Have my Gastric Bypass and I am getting really excited about it. I really can't wait to start my new life.
My consultation went well on Saturday and the Surgeon was really nice and made me feel at ease with it all.
Here is the thing, I have to go on a Pre Op diet 5 days before and have the shakes and soups ready for that, but, I really want to watch what I am eating now, So I have decided That I will start today and try and be as good as possible. For the past few months I have just let myself go and eat whatever, and I know Its gonna be really hard adjusting to the shakes, so this is why I want to start sooner rather than go straight on the shakes and be in a massive shock. I really want to get this right so has anyone got any advice for me.

Last edited by Lipgloss; 11-17-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Lipgloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

WOW!!!! your surgeon works on SATURDAY????? WOW!!!!!!!

but congrats - you're well on your way! my only bit of advice for the shakes is this: if you put them into a BLENDER, it beats A huge amount of air into the mixture. and i found that IMPOSSIBLE to consume after surgery - even drinking it spoonful by spoonful [sipping wasn't working at all].

i finally gave up and poured the concoction over ICE, and it was absolutely the right thing for me to do. i like these things VERY COLD.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #3  
LOVES BEING A LOSER!!!

Height: 5ft3in Surgery date is Saturday 6th December 2008 7.30am Roux-en-Y gastric Bypass (RGB)

Awwww Thanks for that!!
I like things really Icy cold too, so I will do that.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/245/217

Height: 5'1"

I am right behind you. My surgery date is the 9th of December. I am so jealous that you only have to do the presurgery diet for 5 days- I have to do it a for a full 2 weeks, and I am not allowed anything but the protien powder mixed with water and plain water. I am really dreading it but we just keep having to think of the prize at the end That is what I keep telling myself anyway.

I know what you are saying about getting yourself prepared. 2 months ago I quit smoking. Two weeks ago I stopped drinking soda and this week I completely cut out the caffeine. I have started testing out protien drinks for breakfast everyday to see if I can find one that is better than the rest. HyVee has a wide variety of serving size packets that you can test out. I also went to a Whole Foods store and bought some samples. Good luck to you!!
chunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:25 AM   #5  
LOVES BEING A LOSER!!!

Hey Chunky,
We are so simarlar in everthing,especially with only a few days between our surgeries, I wish you all the best with your surgery.( I will be thinking about you)
You know i am such a worryier and can't help think that I wont be able to handle all this and i will fail with it, I know its going to be hard and Its the shakes and stuff I think, I wont be able to get them down and also the water side of it, I have to be in the mood for water.
Also I am a Coffee drinker with 2 sugars and milk and I asked my sergeon about this and he seems to think I will be ok and that I will be able to carry on drinking the coffee, but when I read about this, apparently its a no no, with the sugar and milk, I really don't think I can live with out the coffee, Everthing else, like foods and stuff because I AM SO Determined to loose the weight, I don't mind at all about the food side of it, but coffee errmmm, I really will struggle with, as Ther Is NO WAY i can have it with out milk or sugar. I know I can drink tea and I will substitute my coffee for this but really there is no comparrison to coffee. I love a Coffee and I know I will have to cut back, I don't know, Maybe I am worrying too much, I know my life towards food is going to be totally different and Will HAVE to change and I want it too, Thats why I am having the surgery but, I must admit I am worried.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #6  

I know it really is bizarre. As heavy as I am you think I would be daydreaming about chocolate or ice cream or something that is totally horrid for you and yet all I really want is a diet coke. I actually think that quitting that was harder than quitting smoking!! I had to take some Excedrine Tension pills the first few days. My son gets migranes and his Dr. said at the first sign of an onset that he should take an Excedrine Tension pill as they have caffeine so that is what I did when I started to notice it. By the 4th day I didn't have any headache at all.
I am totally with you on having to be in the mood for water, but I keep trying to tell myself it's purpose is to flush out the fat- of course that is only one small reason to drink it, but the only thing that ca endear it to me.
I too, am very nervous. Seems I have failed at every previous attempt at weight loss and wonder how this will be different. But I want it more than anything. I turn 37 the day before surgery.
I have to admit I am a little scared. Are you? Isn't everyone? I even thought about writing letters to my husband and kids just in case there is some horrid complication and, well- you know. What if I have this done and don't lose anything? I guess I am a worrier too

I have only ever had one other surgery and that was when I got my tubes tied. Everything was fine then so I don't know why I am so nervous now. Does everyone know that you are having it done? A lot of people know that I am- especially at work which in itself makes me feel like every moment is going to be under a microscope, but hey who knows maybe that is what I need.
I will defintely be thinking about you too. We will have to check in with each other from time to time in the pre-op process. I think we could be good support for each other.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #7  

Hey Lipgloss- did you get any news or info from your Dr. on how this surgery may effect your PCOS???
Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #8  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

Congrats!

Who's doing it?

I know of Mr. Patel in the UK (Leeds, I think but I could be wrong) and Mr. Weiner in Germany and one in Belgium.

Last edited by AAAA; 11-19-2008 at 06:49 PM.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #9  
LOVES BEING A LOSER!!!

I did ask my surgeon about PCOS and he seems to think it will more or less cure it, but will certainly help it. so I am really looking forward to that, I would like to think it will help or even cure it because I suffer with all of the PCOS symptoms and thats whats definatley caused me to be overweight as I am quite active really.

Last edited by Lipgloss; 11-25-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #10  

Good luck to you LipGloss!!! You actually have your surgery 3 days before mine. You will definitely have to keep me posted. I am starting to get really nervous- are you???
That is great about the PCOS- I can't wait to be "Normal"!!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:56 AM   #11  
LOVES BEING A LOSER!!!

Chunky1
yes I am really getting nervous now, and we will do this together. I really do need to drink more water though, I tried one of the shake the other day and it was ok, but I'm not looking forward to having then AT ALL, I have to mix it with water too. I also have the soups too, Chicken flavour, I might try one of them today.
I haven't told anyone that I'm having it done only my mum, my hubby and my kids know, and I really want to keep it that way, I don't want anyone to find out about it, Its not that I am ashamed or anything, Its just that I really do not need any negativity from outsiders, and people talking, I am doing this for me and most of them Just wouldnt understand why. Like I said in a previous post, I also suffer from bulimia and only my hubby, & mum know about this too, so I really don't want to be raking everything up to try and explain to other people who don't really know that horrible part of my life, I have only just told my Hubby at the begining of this year about the bulimia and only told my mum 2 weeks ago about it, and it wasn't very nice at all trying to explain to my mum, But she understands my reasons for my Op, where as other people wouldn't.
Anyways, We will go on this journey together and help each other with all the ups and downs, and this time next year we will be totally different women!! Whooop Whooop!!!!

Last edited by Lipgloss; 11-26-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #12  

We will get each other through this. I only recently started telling people, it was getting harder and harder to hold it in. People were asking what I was doing on my time off, family wanted to know why I wasn't coming to Thanksgiving etc.

I agree about the negativity. People speak without thinking. My close friends and of course immediate family are very supportive. Others keep asking me if I am sure I know what I am doing(If they know me they know that I would never do anything like this without knowing exactly what I was getting into), then I hear how I will have all that hanging skin afterwards, and how so many people have it and then they just gain all the weight back- that little tidbit came from my mother-in-law!!! Whatever will she do when after I have the surgery she will no longer be able to ask me how much weight I have GAINED-then again I am sure she will just find something else about me to pick at!!

It is frustrating so I completely understand why you don't want to let the world in on it- if that works for you that is great. Just remember you always have us

Funny thing is even after hearing all of the negativity it hasn't made me second guess my decision not once. It has made me want to tell them to go take a flying leap because I am not doing it to please them.

PS- Did I mention I am jealous about the soup???!!! Is it special soup or what?!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Hey Lips: I haven't been very public about mine. It just about kills my SIL because she can't blab it to everyone she knows. I finally told her I don't go around telling people about my brother's vasectomy and her d&C because it isn't anyone's business but theirs and that is the way I feel about my surgery. If anyone asks me about wl, I tell them I got here by very hard work. I just don't need people who don't know squat in my business chiming in. Now that is an attitude! LOL! You will probably have saggy skin.....but it is better than being dead, believe me!!!! I'm excited for all you newbies and thinking of you often because it is a hard road, but oh so worth it!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #14  

Thank you Nan, you are a sweetie
Old 11-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #15  
Old Cackler

yes, she is, chunky. maybe it's all that midwestern charm!!! as for me, i told everyone. everyone knew it. they kind of had to - i'd been in the hospital for so long that even i had to admit that my weight was killing me. for people who met me after the surgery - people like those in the gym, or whatever, started criticizing me, well, i let them have it. and they always backed off.

for me - and i know i'm the exception here - everyone around me was cheering me on. they knew i had no other choice, so they pretty much kept their 'OMG she can gain the weight back' comments to themselves.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote