Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Reluctant Exercisers Support Group #2

It is time to roll into a new thread for the Reluctant Exercisers Support Group. For those of you who are not familiar with this group, I've included the original post by our founder, Shay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likenoother
Hi everyone,
I've been debating on starting this group for several reasons. One I was really trying to think of an appropriate name. I don't hate exercise. I dread it. I know it is important and all of the wonderful benefits it provides, blah, blah, etc but motivating myself to do it is difficult. I wouldn't term myself a couch potato because once I get going I love it so finally I came up with "Reluctant Exercisers". Second I was trying to think of where to post. Not the fitness forum because they are exercising over there. Then I thought of the Chicks Up for a Challenge section but then thought I didn't think it really fit. So...decided to make it a support group because that is what I am looking for. Also I was thinking do I want to start another thread but then had to admit I spend a lot of time on 3FC because it is my 24/7 support group so I can keep up with it.

So here we go...anyone that is having difficulty motivating themselves to exercise please join me on this quest to really stop talking about it and doing it.
So, if that describes you, this is the place for you. Welcome!!
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #2  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

That sounds like me..can I join?
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #3  
Progress, not perfection!

S/C/G: 132/118/110

Height: 5'0

I'm in! Like you, once I get going, I like it well enough, but starting is so hard!
offmyfranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #4  

Welcome Shopaholic1204 and offmyfranny!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #5  
I was born this way hey!

Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #6  

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #7  

I'm not sure if I mentioned this previously, but I started a new exercise regime a couple weeks ago. I walk for an hour (about 3 miles), then I do pushups and situps. Right now I'm at 60 situps and 30 pushups. I don't do them all in a row right now. Usually I do the situps in sets of 20, and the pushups in sets of 6. I haven't missed a day yet this week!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #8  
I was born this way hey!

Wow..thats great. So far I've only been walking with my hubby. Although, now that its sooo freakin cold outside..I dunno if we'll stick with it.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #9  

You could do like me and walk/job in front of the tv. I tape General Hospital and watch it at night when the kids go to bed and I jog through it. I know it sounds silly but it's better than not moving at all, right?

But for some reason, it doesn't seem like "real" exercise. Maybe that's how I'm able to actually DO it every day. lol.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #10  
cher37

wow! what a fluke finding this thread! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

about an hour ago, I wanted to post something like this but I wrote it down instead, so now I'll share:

"why does it have to hurt to burn calories & fat? & why is it so hard to get motivated to move and to keep on moving?"

this morning, I swear I procrastinated do my BL workout for 2hrs!!! I just surfed here, did some reading, drank my water, was already dressed to exercise, but did I do it? nooooo - of course not! now that the workout's done, do I have a sense of satisfaction that I did it? n-o-p-e. Now I'm supposed to be taking the dog out for her walk, & I know that once I get out the door, it'll be all good, but it's a matter of having a quick shower & change clothes. I guess I'm just tired-I didn't sleep well last night. this sounds awful, but maybe my motivation for finishing the walk will be a nap before my son comes home from school.

generally, I love exercise, being outdoors. going to the gym? not for me. been there, done that, many times. I guess I just want to sweat in private

ok - there's my rant - thank you for "listening"

Cheers ladies & I've got to get moving
Old 11-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #11  

cher37 - Welcome to the group. Sometimes I feel that way about exercise (usually about every three months), but it is slowly but surely becoming more "normal" to exercise, then to not. I will not exercise in a gym. I would be totally intimidated. I walk either around my neighborhood, or in inclement weather, on the treadmill.

Shopaholic - I'm sure you'll be able to find something else to do as exercise if the weather gets too bad. For the first 3-4 months of my weightloss my only exercise was marching in place while watching Dvds of old tv shows.

offmyfranny - It really makes exercise less of a chore when you are being entertained at the same time. If I use the treadmill, sometimes I'll watch old tv shows, but most of the time I listen to audiobooks. I've tried music, but the music that I enjoy doesn't seem to fit right with exercising, and I get all out of sync.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #12  
I was born this way hey!

Well..I have WATP..so I could probably do that. Except I have no idea where they are. Maybe my thing should be unpacking, lol. Been here since Sept and still havent unpacked, lol. That should be some exercise right?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #13  

Shopaholic - Sure, unpacking is definitely exercise!

Yesterday I walked 3 miles, did 60 situps, and 30 pushups. So far so good!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #14  

I did my standard exercise yesterday; 60 mins walking, 60 situps, & 30 pushups. Mom & I went to the range for some target practice, and it was FREEZING, so we probably burned a bunch of extra calories just trying to stay warm!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #15  

Friday, Saturday & Sunday, I did the same exercise; 60 mins walking (3 miles), 30 pushups & 60 situps. This week I'm increasing to 75 situps & 35 pushups.