Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Default Is it set in stone...

That you WILL gain weight when you quit smoking?

Well, if you don't stuff your face with food every time you think you want a cigarette (which is what I did yesterday )

I'm on day 3 smoke free and have been doing a bunch of reading about the subject. Seems like everyone agrees that nicotine is a stimulant so your metabolism slows down when you stop providing it through smoking - hence the weight gain. Along the weightloss road, I've been gradually increasing my calories so I'm right about where I would need to stay for maintenance. Do you think I would be able to counteract that non-smoking metabolic slowdown by dropping my calories back down to a "losing" number rather than a maintenance number? I know, ideally, kicking up the intensity of my exercise would be the best thing but, at the moment, the fatigue from fighting the stupid habit has me having to really kick myself to get exercising at all so I'm going to have to take that one step at a time.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

I think the only answer is for you to play with your intake & see what happens. Just like you had to when you first started dieting & had to find your niche, I think you'll have to do that again now. Best of luck, let me know how it goes. I've been holding off doing the same thing in fear of gaining weight. Best of luck!
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'll say first off that I've never had to give up smoking so my advice is based solely on what I think makes sense rather than personal experience.

I'd say as long as you are able to not give in to eating ... wait and see how your metabolism responds before you drop calories. I would think that if you drop your calories *while* trying to quit, you might set off more cravings or hunger pangs. If you can, just hold steady and see what happens with your weight. If it looks like you have gained a couple of pounds, then you can cut back your cals a little or push a little more exercise or both.

And congrats on quitting!!!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Day 3 is the worst day. Things will get better as long as you don't give in. Also, the first 2 weeks are the worst weeks. Ditto what I said.

You won't know what's what until you've managed to get past two weeks without smoking. Although I'd say try very hard not to eat instead, I wouldn't worry about losing weight at the same time until two weeks have passed.

Sometimes it helps to get a big bunch of celery and chew on celery sticks.

Good luck! This is the best thing you could do!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Sometimes it helps to get a big bunch of celery and chew on celery sticks.
Yeah, Food Detectives said celery has a slight calorie deficit. Probibly a good food to munch on when trying to quit smoking.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks so much for the support. You all have become really important to me over the last many months (holy cow, almost a year already!) so getting an approval nod from you helps me stick with my determination. I think today was one of the toughest because I was at work with all my "routines" and regular smoke break times to contend with. So far today did best with just chugging water (I'd been a little lax in that area since the weather cooled off anyway). Also found a 3FC type forum for quitting so I won't have to drive you nuts with my whining and lamenting
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

People gain weight when they quit smoking because they replace one bad habit with another. They talked about the increased metabolism from nicotine on some Discover health show not too long ago and the amount is so ridiculously low that it was equivalent to like 2 or 3 pounds a year.

I successfully quit smoking and lost weigh all within the same 2 year period. It's difficult, but I found quitting drinking really helped with the weight & the smoking. Drinking added a bunch of calories AND made me want to smoke.

Now my theme song is "Goody two shoes". "You don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do, you don't drink don't smoke what do you do?" LOL
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #8  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I know three people who quick smoking and who either did not gain weight or who lost it in again within a couple of months. One of them was an absolute nightmare to be around for awhile, though.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote