Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up Health Focused Friends #5

Hello!

Here's a group for any Weight Watcher members (or anyone thinking about joining) to check in, get support and encouragement while trying to become healthier, not just thinner. We want to focus on eating a wholesome diet, exercising more, having a positive outlook on life, and losing weight along the way. This is what Weight Watchers promotes anyway, but sometimes it's hard to stay focused. Together, we'll make it!
Old 11-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Ladies.

Barb - We are happy to have you join us. I've lived in Rock Hill for 2 years now. I was born and raised in Central TX and lived in TX until I met DH who is from IN,k but lived in FL when we met and married.
Congratulations on your decision to get the weight off before your 60. I lost weight and was well on my way to goal in my 50's and then a few yrs ago I lost it and went into a rebellious state and gained a lot of it back. I just came back from a visit with my family in TX. My sister, her daughter and her son-in-law inspired me with a whole new attitude... Thank God. They all are doing WW Flex and look good. My nieces hubby has reached goal and is a Lifetimer. My niece cooked a great dinner for a family get together while I was there and it was WW friendly down to the desserts. This is my 3rd day back OP. I agree it is so easy to eat your pts and then hit the WPA. I'm working on including some of the WPA each day. I am impressed with the way you are planning for your trip by taking foods with you. I kind of did that myself on our trip. It payed off by me not gaining although I didn't lose either. Last time I went home I came back ticked off about dieting and this time I came back ready to get going with a whole new attitude about working on WW plan.

Jane - Yeah! Great job staying OP during Mexican lunch with your friend. Just shows us what planning ahead can do for us. We took presents to family when we were on our trip. Now we have to work on getting things ready for Tony's DD and her family coming for Christmas. We have no plans for Thanksgiving as our local family/friends backed out on us. DD wants us to put up our huge Christmas tree which is a real job, but it will be nice to have the grandchildren here. Planning a trip to see Tony's cousin in NC while they are here too. I have been looking at WW magazine and cookbook for healthy alternatives to foods for Christmas so I can stay OP for the holidays. Granddaughters do like for Mommy and Nannie to bake cookies with them. Jane, it worked out a good thing we didn't plan to meet you and Neal in Evansville. We got lost in So IN and took us over an hour to find our way back to civilization. We got on a dirt road that looked like it was only wide enough for a horse and buggy down by the Ohio River. I wondered if we were in Amish country as I saw a sign at one point that said to watch for Amish buggies.. It was really scarry experience until we got back on track.

Ruthie - I missed your post until now. I don't know how I missed it. Glad you are still here. I thought about you on our trip home from TX. It rained so hard for the first half of our trip we could barely see. Thank God it was cloudy, but no rain for the other half of the trip.

Jen - Sounds like you have a really good and appreciative boss. Great getting back to dancing. Great way to exercise. Congrats on making a mini-goal ahead of time.

Everybody else - Hello there. Hope your doing well.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #3  
We can do this

S/C/G: 223/ticker/120

Height: 5"3.5

Does anybody know what happened to all the other people who used to post here, have they all jus disppeared, or did I miss something!!
Suppose Im guilty of the same thing.
Talking about wrapping presents Iv all but 2 presents bought and wrapped, I just need to find one for my mam, and one for the possible BF,
When I say possible, it could all b over tomorrow, its very complicated lol, I could explain it, but I dont even know whats happening at the minute.
Iv only been seein him about 4 weeks, but I really have falen for him, which with me doesnt happen often lol Only thing is he is quite a bit older than me (theres a surprise ) hes 33?? But we'll see how it goes,
He has tickets for us to go and see aladin the stage show in January so thats somethin to look forward to.
Yeah I am for some reason finding it very easy to stay motivated, I dont know how or why, but I am more dedicated than ever, Ive been back at weight watchers now for aobut 17 weeks, and havent put weight on once.??
Not that Im complaining.
Before I forget, welcome BARB, happy to have you here.
JANE, I wish I could plan ahead the way you do, Id do the opposite, Id just whatever I wanted, and be very careful for the rest of the week!!
TRISH Isnt it odd how the little things can inspire you, like seeing your family do well.

I have alternative motives at the minute, and I have to lose as much weight as possible before April, I think that could be pushing me forward.

Anyway I better get back to work, Oh and seen as I dont have it here in Ireland, when is Thanksgiving.?
Jen x
Old 11-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #4  

Good morning everyone!! It was nice to wake up to some sunshine for a change. The weather here has been so dreary--it's been hard to work up any enthusiasm for exercise. This morning is sunny but 30 mph winds..hey--ya can't have everything! Not much planned for the day-- we were out at BJ's Wholesale Club yesterday and I bought a rotisserie turkey breast for tonight's dinner. They are SOOO GOOD! Will have green beans and roasted sweet potato with that. YUM!
JEN Thank you for the warm welcome. I hope things work out with the "potential bf" the way that you want. I always went out with men older than me. I think I always felt older than my age back then. Now I can't believe how old I am!! LOL Good job staying motivated and on track! Send some of that motivation over this way!!

Have a good day everyone!
Barb
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #5  

Hi Ladies,

A quick one here. Leaving for church in a few minutes.

Barb - I think you said you live in DC so we have about the same weather. I agree the sunshine is a welcome sight this morning. I get those rotessaries chickens too. DH and I love them, but I always go up a lb or 2 because some places add salt to them when they cook them so I heard.

Hey girls. I get this thing called Diet Tips... forget who puts it out. But today they reminded us to be sure to remember to drink water during the cold months. It said that by the time your thirsty you are already dehydrated. Interesting point of info, I thought. So decided to share it. I have a tendency myself to want hot drinks instead so trying to be extra sure to get my water.

Jen - Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of November which is the 27th this year.

Jane, Ruthie and any one else reading this

Y'all have a great Sunday!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #6  

Trish You're sure right about the rotisserie items being akin to a salt lick!! I'm sure that accounts for a lot of the flavor... :-( If I weren't feeling so lazy I'd roast a fresh turkey breast myself... Next time!

Just had high-fiber oatmeal, an orange and a small glass of skim milk for breakfast. I'm FULL!!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #7  

Barb - I know. DH wants a rotiserrie chicken for Thanksgiving since it is going to be just the 2 of us. They are sooo good and a lot less work for me. I gave my machine away because it is so much easier to buy them ready made. I've been trying to figure out a way to fix chicken so he will eat it other than fried. His triglicerides (sure I spelled that wrong) were up when he had is last blood work done. Strange thing is DH really wants to eat the legs only. I told him we should just buy legs and roast them in my flavawave.

I'm an oatmeal person too. I eat oatmeal with blueberries, sunflower seeds or walnuts and FF Lite and Fit yogurt every morning. Since I have to eat breakfast (didn't when I was younger), I decided to eat a healthy one. Oatmeal to keep my cholesterol down, blueberries for healthy eyes, seeds or nuts for healthy oil and yogurt to keep from having yeast problems even add cinnamon for blood sugar. Always feels me up too and also I seem to stay satisfied longer.

I think you said your daughter attends Winthrop. Is this her 1st year? Do you ever come to Rock Hill to see her? Maybe we could meet up sometime if you do. Do you still have family in Charleston? I little girl at church today had a shirt on from Charleston. I haven't been there yet and she told me that it is a beautiful place that I really should see. I thought of you when she told me. Do you miss it? I miss my family back in TX, but I love the weather here in SC much better than TX.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #8  

Trish Promise me you'll make a trip down to Charleston in the springtime..there's no other place like it, I promise! I miss it with all my heart. This past year I've been traveling constantly back and forth from DC to down there to visit my father who's 80 and battling cancer. We found out this past week that the cancer has spread..it's just not a happy time. My sister is down there still, too (my parents divorced 20 years ago)..we've got Dad in a beautiful assisted living facility and right now are finishing up the cleaning out of his house. Not an easy task either physically or emotionally!

Yes, my one and only child (daughter) is a freshman there at Winthrop. I haven't been down there since Parent's Weekend in early October. Once things become more stabilized with my dad I plan to visit her there more often. She tries to get down to Charleston when I'm down that way but she's got a lot going on at school. I will definitely give you a head's up when I get a chance to visit..would love to meet up with a boardie! Do you know of any WW-friendly BBQ joints?? (very funny, I know..but Lord help me I love BBQ and everything that goes with it!) Save those WPA's!

Barb
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #9  

Barb I am so sorry about your Dad. I will keep you, your Dad and sister in my prayers. Believe me when I say I know how you feel and what you are going though. My Daddy and sisters and I went through the same thing with my Mama back in 1992. She was 65. I think of her a lot since I turned 65 this year. I always considered her my best friend and felt so lost and abandoned when she died. I went to TX last week to see my Daddy who is 85 yrs old. My sisters and I hang on to him like crazy because we can't stand the thought of the day we have to let him go too. I talked to him just tonight. I always call him at least once a week. Is your Mom sitll living?

I too love BBQ. My family always fixes BBq once when I visit in TX as it was one of the things I that I really missed when I moved to FL. When I moved to Rock Hill, I was thrilled to find Sonny's BBQ here in Rock Hill. They have a salad bar, but I don't eat from it because too many things to tempt me. So I usually get the BBQ beef or pork and then have green beans and corn-on-the-cob. That way I figure I can stay within my points and have my BBQ too. On special occasions like my birthday, I splurge and have the baby back ribs of course that blows all the points for the day and then some. Maybe we could meet there for lunch when you come to town.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #10  

We love Sonny's BBQ! I honed in on that place when we were there for orientation. There's a Maurice's over on David Lyle Blvd near the mall..I grew up eating their mustard-based bbq and onion rings. (Hmmm....could be part of my problem! lol)

Thanks for the kind words for my Dad. My mother is still living and is remarried. But that's another story! lol

Well, even though it's only 32 degrees outside, I'm layering up and taking my dog for a walk this morning!! I've been going stir crazy in the house with all the rainy, gloomy weather! Hope everyone has a wonderful, healthful day!
Barb
Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #11  
We can do this

Hi All,
Managed to walk 6.5 miles after 12 hour shift yesterday, I was so pleased with myself But im paying for it now no doubt, I am so tired, Need to get some energy back for dancing later, I cannot miss that!
All is quiet other than tht. Iv been incredibly good this week, but a sneak preview on the scales before thursday has me up 3 pounds. I have to be good as gold the next three days, I am not prepared to go up three pounds.
Other than that all is quiet on this front!
hope your all keeping well
Luv Jen x
Old 11-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #12  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Jen - Thanksgiving is the 4th Thursday of November. My DH is 10 years older than me, and I like that just fine. Does your family like your BF? The fact that he has made plans with you for January says he's planning to stay around for a long time. What happens in April? About the members who used to post, well, people come and go in groups like this. I know that a couple of them didn't want to do WW after all. Angie is in L.A. right now. Plus, we have a LOT from other 3FC groups that read us, but don't post. Guess we're interesting, lol.

Barb - I like oatmeal when I need comfort food. The bbq should be okay if you watch your portion. It's all about portion control, right? I'm so sorry about your dad. Mine has been gone since '79, and I'd sure like to just sit and have a cup of coffee with him and my mom. She died in '84. Hey, include me in on that meet up!

Trish - sorry you got lost here in Indiana. It's easy to do on some of these backroads. I still wish we could have met up, but maybe I'll make it down your way some day. Yes, there are several Amish communities around southern Indiana. I like going to their restaurants.

I did the rest of my Christmas shopping this weekend, and all I have left to buy for is my son. Well, and for Neal's stocking. Whoo hoo! The presents are wrapped, and ready to go under the tree. Now I can focus on other things.

Have any of you tried the Kashi pizzas? I had 1/3 of the Marguarite Thin Crust one this weekend, for 5 points. Very yummy, and fairly healthy.

Have a good one!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #13  

Jen 6.5 MILES!! WOW!! That's amazing!! I wish I could say the same. I'm still waiting for it to warm up a little before I venture outside. I WILL DO IT, though...30 mins minimum. In the meantime I've gotten a lot of work done around my house! Where did all this laundry come from?? I'm blanking on ideas of what to have for dinner. We may just go with the turkey burgers tonight..you can toss them on the grill frozen! lol

Hope you all are having a great day! This is the last "quiet" week before the holidays!! YIKES!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #14  

Jane I've seen the Kashi pizzas..I'm just afraid I'd eat the entire thing! I do love pizza! Please please please do my Christmas shopping for meeeeee!!! lol. I've got to get myself in gear and just do it!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #15  
We can do this

Hi all
I was jus askin about thanksgiving so ill remember to wish you all a happy thanksgiving lol
Hmm April, a long story made short. Ill see a friend i havent seen in a long time.
Basically hes been my best friend for years, then one night over the summer we spent th night together, He told me th next day never to repeat what had happened that night because he was seein someone else an hasnt spoken to me since. But ill see him in April, at order of malta competitons, and I just want to show him what hes lost. It may seem like a stupid reason but its keeping me motivated none the less.

Ive most of my shopping done too, just 2 presents left to get, an we always to secret santa at work but havent organised it there so ill have to one get from there too but that normally requires a visit to a sex shop for that present lol
As for the walk, I needed it after a tiring day at work
Closed Thread