Old 11-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #1  

Default any experience w/fish oil supplements? specifically Nature Made brand?

I bought some fish oil supplements because I've read so much about how it's good for overall health. There seem to be so many opinions out there about different brands, dosages etc. I bought some Nature Made odorless 1200 mg

http://www.americarx.com/Products/34205.html

I'm not afraid it will harm me or anything, but I DO fear "fish burps", even though this is supposed to be "odorless", and there seems to be so much disagreement about how much of a dosage is good. What do you think? Anyone take this? TIA!
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #2  

This is the brand I use - 2 capsules in the am. Quick secret - store them in the freezer and swallow frozen ... no fish burps. Neat trick my trainer told me
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #3  

Thanks for your response. So freezing it doesn't alter its potency?
Would you take it with food or on an empty stomach? TIA!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #4  

I take it after a meal, but that isn't necessary. I just happen to be near the freezer when I was up my breakfast dishes. If I don't do it then, I am not too good at remembering later in the day. My trainer takes hers before she goes to bed. See what works best for you.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

I have been taking fish oil for about 8 months now, and have tried several different kinds. I have stuck with NATROL extreme omega fish oil in lemon flavor. they are in a purple bottle. I take two pills of 1200mg's each every day. the fish burps dont affect me any more. what i do is take them right before i eat so that the food sort of stops the fish burps. if you take them on an empty stomache, you will get the burps. when i took them after my meal, i still get the fish burps a little bit. the freezing thing sounds like a good idea too. I dont like the enteric coated ones, because they are so nasty tasting that it's hard for me to swallow them. the fish oil really does work. my nails are stronger, my hair is shinier, and i'm sure my arteries are healthier too
plus, they help take the saturated fat out of your system.
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #6  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I take those and I've never had a problem with fish burps. Might be an individual thing. Garlic gas, on the other hand ...
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #7  
=D

I don't take that supplement but do take fish oil capsules daily.

I buy mine from a company called Bio Ceuticals. It's clean stuff and they're enteric-coated. I never get fishy burps.
http://www.bioceuticals.com.au/produ...&productid=110
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #8  
Skinny Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazza View Post
I don't take that supplement but do take fish oil capsules daily.

I buy mine from a company called Bio Ceuticals. It's clean stuff and they're enteric-coated. I never get fishy burps.
Do you have to buy those online or are they in stores also?
yogajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #9  

Enteric coated capsules are the best at reducing fishy burps. Aim for about 1000mg EPA and DHA daily preferably in 1-2:1 ratio. This is where you maximize the health benefits. Helps with the heart, brain, and lowering TG levels in the blood. You can go up to 3000mg EPA and DHA.
twinkletoes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #10  
=D

Yogajane, I buy them from a natural medicine wholesaler in australia called Traditional Medicine Supplies. I think they also sell them online - and I'm not sure whether or not the company is based in the US.

I highly recommend them.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #11  
LLV

I've been taking fish oil for about 4 years now. It's helped keep my triglycerides at a normal level, when they used to be through the roof.

I use Natrol Omega-3 lemon flavored and have no problems with fish burps.

Here's a list of fish oils, which are best, which are worst and those with incomplete information. Because not all fish oils are the same.

http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=16536
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #12  

Thanks for the info. It seems like the Nature Made is a good brand. Maybe not the best, but good for its reasonable price. The one I have is enteric coated, but I'm still so paranoid that I'm going to have fish breath, if not burps. I tried taking a couple the other night and my SO said I had fish breath. I REALLY want to take it, though. I'm so interested in taking more Omega 3's to see if it improves asthma, skin and hair (my hair is thinner than it used to be-not alarmingly so, just not as thick as it was when I was younger-perhaps normal "aging") and overall health and well being. I've been using ground flaxseed in my breakfast cereal and I'm trying to eat more canned salmon and some tuna at least once a week, but would really like to take that darned stinky fish oil!!!!!
I haven't tried it yet from the freezer (It's been in there a few days now) and maybe right before I go to sleep to see if I don't have the ick breath, but how would I know? I couldn't tell I had it when he told me!

Last edited by lipidful; 11-21-2008 at 10:53 AM.