Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default New And Fun??

I posted a while ago about braving the doors of the gym for the first time. Getting over gym anxiety was a wonderful thing for me! But I have hit a different kind of wall.... I'm BORED!!!

I can hardly spend much time there because I get BORED. I have my ipod, with music and a book on tape, I change machines frequently, I try to switch it up... Still bored!

I have a meeting with a personal trainer there tomorrow (maybe if i someone pushing me.... hmmm...) but I also am going to check out a boxing gym. I would love to have a kick boxers body... so why not try to become a kick boxer??

Mind you, I can be a bit of a wuss, maybe it will expand my horizons? ... maybe.

What do you do to keep interested? Has personal trainers helped you? Have you entered into any activites simply to push yourself further, even if you have no experience in it? Whats your secrets?
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

As someone who takes kickboxing classes...I can tell you. They are AWESOME!
The instructor usually mixes it up, one week he'll focus on cardio and form of kicks and punches. Another week he'll have us sparring with other people instead of on the heavy bags. Another week he'll have us working on blocking and momentum moves. Its great. Its a great work out too. I highly recommend.

Another thing some gyms have (that I've been looking into) is either Yoga for Fitness or Dance for Fitness. Those seem like fun classes that could get you sweating, you'd learn a skill you can use other places outside the gym and it seems like it might a way to get moving without doing 45 minutes of repetition on an elliptical.

I was thinking too that if your body is getting used to its normal routine, throwing in some classes that are new can help your overall fitness plan.

GOOD LUCK!
nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #3  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

I think its boring too the only time I did ok not getting bored was when I'd go everyday at the same time and watch an hour long show I liked while I was on the elliptical
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #4  
HMS

S/C/G: 94/85/65 kg

Height: 5'8"

I think the key for me is to mix it up a bit... a PT should definately help you with that too ... I love Body Combat classes to supplement cardio and weights ....... the first time I did the class I was very nervous ... I certainly pushed myself and did different things .... Good luck ....
HMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Having a personal trainer has helped me immensely with the boredom factor. I really look forward to the days I work out with my trainer because that hour flies by. I'm exhausted, I'm challenged, sometimes I'm even scared, but I'm NEVER bored. Every workout is different. I consider my personal trainer to be the single most important factor in my success.

Another thing that helps immensely in terms of boredom is intervals. On whatever cardio equipment I'm using--elliptical, stepmill, or treadmill--I do one minute at a really high intensity then one minute at a recovery pace. I do this for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the equipment, then move on to another piece of equipment. During that one minute at a high intensity, I might feel like death is imminent but I'm sure as heck not bored. Needless to say, the 1 min recovery flies by. You'd be surprised how fast 20 minutes goes by when you pace it out this way. And it's a better workout than steady-state cardio.

Finally, another thing that helps me is taking classes. When I just can't face another day of cardio on my own, I take a spin class or circuit training class. Kick boxing doesn't work for me because I'm so uncoordinated that I have to do the moves really slow and it doesn't end being a good enough workout (plus I feel like a total loser doing it), but if you like it, then I definitely think it would help with the boredom factor.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Lightbulb dull exercise

I hate exercise and its all boring. But pick your boring. I like to watch the new in the morning, so today I got on the treadmill. Decided no news unless I was walking. The treadmill was boring, but the news was (as always_) interesting. I pretended I was on Gilligan's island and the only way to power the tv was to stay on the treadmill.
Then I walked outside. Its not as good a workout, but I like to walk the dog, but it doesn't really feel like exercise. I also like cross country skiing, but again, I do it cause I like it, not because its exercise. I enjoy yoga and pilates in class, but don't do it outside of the classes.
I think you have to find something you like to do, that is exercise, or you have to earn something by doing exercise. I used to walk places. I would get one book at a time from the library. I couldn't read a novel except by walking to the library. I earned the book.
By the way, I hated gym classes.
anyone else out there always hated gym?
I was even a skinny kid, and still hated every minute of phys. ed
fatmad
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote