Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

Default Preventing hiar loss?

I'm 30 days away from surgery-woot woot

and want to know if there is anyway I can prevent major hair loss and end up looking like these guys for awhile

I had surgery in 'O5 and did have hair loss so I'm expecting it again. I'd like to minimize it if at all possible because, frankly, I ain't got much left up top. My hair genes came from the dirty end of the family gene pool, along with my weight genes.

Thanks!

Last edited by merryterry; 11-09-2008 at 01:39 PM.
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Really darling there's nothing you can do to stop it. What might help slow it down is protein... so keep your intake at your doctors recommended amount and Omega fish oils are wonderful too !!!

Don't worry.. .... it will grow back and you will not look like this

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Sorry MT, but Leenie is right. My hair is really thin,(thin after no-fat fad diet and surgeries, no bald spots though) but if I don't keep up my protein, then I start and lose hair again. I did start taking Hair, Nails, and Skin from Walmart and fish oil, a few months before surgery. I think I only had about a couple of months of hair loss. I don't see it coming back in full, but have had to have a few hair cuts this past year, so I know it is growing.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

My hair thinned out for only about 3 months after surgery and then grew back full again. It was annoying and took time and I did break down and cut my hair short but to me a little hair loss is worth it. I did find however that now everytime I get sick for any reason and I am not keeping my protein up...even if just for a few days...I lose hair at a higher rate.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 376/296/170

Height: 5'4"

My Aunt is a licensed hair dresser and she recommended in addition to plenty o' protein and fish oil....Biotin. It is supposed to help with hair and nails. Luckily I have not had any hair loss...before surgery I pumped up on Biotin. I take it now too. Check with your surgeon to see if you can take it.
Cherylk285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #6  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

It grows back...mine thinned out and I had some scalp showing. I cut my hair short too and did the feminine version of the comb over since I thinned out on one side more then the other! Hillarious...everyone said I looked "younger!" Is that the lie they tell balding men? But it's coming back in now, gray but healthy...nothing a good dye job can't fix! hehe

Anyway, take the Biotin, get your protein in and rest in the knowledge that...IT GROWS BACK.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 11-10-2008 at 01:32 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/245/217

Height: 5'1"

Hey Nanj- is the Hair, Nails, and Skin the name of the vitamin or supplement?Where do you get Biotin at????
chunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #8  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

I remember reading that aloe is a great way to prevent hair loss. Google aloe for hair loss prevention or something
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #9  

Default It's a Walmart purchase.

Hair, Skin and Nails with 3000mcg of Biotin per serving plus Collagen/gelatin. 29 key ingredients. I think our Walmart sells it for around $7.00 a bottle. They are coated and kind of large. I tried cutting these in half at first, but they scratched my throat on the way down, so now I take two of them a day whole. They recommend one three times a day. My skin was so dry after surgery, I looked like a gator. I've never had dry skin in my life. It is still a problem, but better. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt any.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #10  

So taking extra supplements as well as you vitamins and calcium is okay? What type of vitamins do you take? My NUT said to take Optisource( a batriac vitamin from Walgreens) and CitraCal with extra D-4x a day. I definitely want to get something extra that will help with hair loss. Granted with the PCOS I have hair EVERYWHERE but my luck the hair I want to keep would be the hair I would lose!! I already have extremely dry skin to begin with so I am going to pick some of the Hair, Nails, and Skin up!! WALMART is my favorite place!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 376/296/170

Height: 5'4"

Nanj & Chunky1:

I was having a bad problem with dry skin. I just recently purchased 2 items that help replace moisture back into your skin.

1. Oil of Olay Body Wash - Shea Butter (sold at Kmart or Walgreens...maybe other places as well?)

2. Johnson's Baby Lotion w/ Shea and Cocoa Butter (I picked this up from Kmart...Im sure you can get it elsewhere though in the BABY products aisle)

Since I started using these products the dry skin has gone away. Hope this helps ya!

Cheryl
Cherylk285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #12  

I will definitely give it a try!! Thanks
Old 11-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

If your getting the lapband remember you can not swallow anything bigger than a small M&M, so be careful w/pills (crush them if you have to). And as always... follow the advice of your doctor.

Last edited by Leenie; 11-16-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #14  

Thanks Cherylk. I do use the Olay bodywash. Don't forget I'm an old buzzard and I think besides the WLS, hysterectomy, and old age; my skin is getting drier. As soon as I get out of the shower, I slather myself down with lotion.

Chunky1: I have been reading tons on vitamin deficiencies and the problems that you physically have if you have a long-term deficiency. I try to be proactive and head things off. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but.....and some of this info might just be hearsay, but usually it is info that I have read quite a few times.
Prenatal Vitamin that I get free from Meijers with doctor's Rx only
Caltrate 600 mg + D (calcium carbonate and no I've read that it should only be calcium citrate???) twice a day. I've read many times that this shouldn't be taken within two hours, either way, with tea or coffee or milk products.
Vitamin C 500mg once daily with my multivitamin to help absorb my iron
Hair, Skin & Nails twice a day
Fish Oil 1200 mg twice a day
B12 sublingual 2500 mcg I split this one and take each half am and pm
Super B-Complex one tab twice daily
IRON I have an otc suppliment that I try to take with just about everything and it hurts my guts, so don't do it.

I know some of the girls don't do all of these, and that is fine and things are good for them. I know that as the years past and the WLS process get better and more information is gathered on it that some problems are beginning to show up because people aren't proactive and some people just absorb thing differently. READ< READ< READ and then READ some more until you are convinced on what you need to take. Talk with your doctor and your NUT, talk with your Pharmacist and WATCH you lab yourself. Get a copy of them before your surgery and compare them every time you get them drawn and even a hint of them going down; then beef up your vits. WELL IMOP!!! LOL! I was a little low in Vit D and Iron before the surgery and they stay on the low end, but are okay. Watch you liver enzymes because of the suppliments and watch your kidney function labs because of the increase in protein. NONE OF THIS STUFF I"M TELLING YOU SUPERCEDES ANYTHING THAT THE DOCTOR OR NUT MIGHT TELL YOU!!!!!! Water is very important because of the risk of kidney stones from WLS.

I'm old and will never see the deficients that you guys will because you guys are all younger than me, but don't take any risks!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #15  
I'm With The Band!

S/C/G: 281.5/264/180

Height: 5'7"/173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
If your getting the lapband remember you can not swallow anything bigger than a small M&M, so be careful w/pills (crush them if you have to). And as always... follow the advice of your doctor.

Hi there!

Just wanted to say that isn't always the case with Lapband; everyone is different. I have no trouble what so ever taking pills of any size--I've got 6.1mls of fill in mine. I have a friend who has a fill of 3.7mls and has no trouble.
So, don't discount taking a vitamin in pill form. We both are friends with a gal who has less fill than we do (somewhere around 2mls, I think?) and she has trouble with almost everything! Check it out with your doctor and if he/she ok's it, give it a whirl. Worst case scenario is it has to come back up and tastes horrible!
If you find you just can't do the pills, there are a lot of vitamins and supplements that can be found in liquid form. Not sure about the Biotin in liquid, but a certified Naturopath should be able to tell you.

Cheers!
hotfoot is offline   Reply With Quote