General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default The stress on/of sex appeal

I was reading through the posts, and people will mention certain clothes that make them feel sexy or whatever.

Is it odd of me to say I've never felt sexy? Even when I was smaller than I am now, I've never considered myself sexy, nor have I ever been told I was 'sexy' or 'hot'.

I dunno. It seems like society puts so much stress on 'sexy'. Maybe I'm just a prude?

I was reading an article in cosmo or some othr such magazine, and they have suggestions on how to seduce your lover. Mentally I gasp. I could never do those things!

Is it only me? I don't find myself hideous, I might even be cute.. but sexy?

I don't think so. I know, deep down it's a mental thing, but it seems I was born with out this component in me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me2008.JPG (24.6 KB, 76 views)
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #2  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Trust me when I say, sexy isn't always what's on the outside, it has a lot to do with the attitude you radiate outwards.

And yes, you can totally pull off sexy, look at your face.. damnnnn mama
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I truly believe the issue of "sexy" is far more a social/psychological component than something you're "born" with or without.

It all depends on how you were raised and whether or not you were raised to believe that sex is good/bad or public/private or whatever. And, to a degree, how much you choose to bypass the way you were raised.

I think it's a very complex question, to be honest - and I think we (western culture and to a large degree, American culture) demonized sexual feelings, thoughts, activities to the point that it's hard to know where the biology begins and the psycho-social aspect of it begins.

(And btw, you so have the mouth for "sexy" ... ... that full bottom lip and the deep red lipstick ... whoa baby!)

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-12-2008 at 05:21 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #4  

Quote:
nor do I care too.
Can I ask why?

And I'm not doing so in a mean way at all. I'm just totally um ... fascinated and baffled at the same time by someone who "wouldn't care to" be considered sexy.

Is it that some people equate sexy with slutty? Or some version of that? Or am I way off base???

Old 11-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

even tho i am big as a house still lol, i do have 'moments' of feeling sexy. The way my husband is around me, you would think im a sex bomb instead of obese.. he makes me have moments of 'feeling sexy', even tho i know im far from it
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #6  
Goddess in Training

S/C/G: 207/177/147 (?)

Man, oh man, I could go on for days...
In my younger, thinner days I was considered "hot" by other people, even though I was clumsy and scruffy in my own mind.
After I put on weight, I found myself feeling more sexual if not sexy, because by this time my husband had me feeling so comfortable in my own skin that whatever society at large thought was just not an issue.
So, I guess I'm sexy where it counts. (;
I like sex--a lot (sorry if anyone finds that offensive). I don't know if I have much going on in terms of general sex appeal, but I'm appealing to the one I have sex with--and his attention is all the attention I need.
shrillharpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #7  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Well have you ever felt confident?
Feeling sexy can really just be feeling confident and maybe wearing a particular outfit you feel expresses you.
And the thing with attracting males is that "sexy" isn't a definitive word to describe attraction to begin with. A woman might wear something that she believes is sexy for the sole reason of attracting males... stuff some might call trashy - loads of cleavage, skin, makeup - the excess or whatever - but the underlying message it can send is that the person focuses too much on the exterior and in a fashion meant to seduce men - (some call.. slutty lol) -
So is she the icon of sexy? She might think so and some men might think so but others might just see it as a turn-off and unattractive.

So the pressure to look sexy isn't really about the exterior as it is about confidence. If she had more confidence in herself, she might focus on attracting the opposite male through her mind rather than her body, which is why many women who might seem to be dressing conservative could be seen as an icon of sexy.

It's just like beauty, sexy is really just wearing what makes you feel like you're yourself and you can take on the world. When I was bigger, nothing I wore made me feel sexy b/c I had self-esteem issues. As I lost weight, I worked on my self-esteem and I could go out wearing jeans and a t-shirt and feel sexy because unlike before, I could go out and feel unrestrained by my appearance. When I first started going out with my boyfriend, he found me sexy because he found certain personality traits attractive... or sexy.. well also he liked my size but obviously that isn't the important part.

So I think feeling sexy is a positive thing because lately it's been equated with feeling confident and feeling good about yourself, and having a good self-esteem, IMO. That's how I feel anyway.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #8  
Goddess in Training

S/C/G: 207/177/147 (?)

On the Cosmo front, I have to say that even as someone who likes sex (see above) I find myself gasping at those articles.
I think sexy is as sexy does. What I find sexy could be a total turn-off to someone else. I think convential "sexiness" is sometimes overrated, and the sexiest things about most peole are the things you don't see.
shrillharpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #9  

Quoting a couple of people:
Quote:
So I think feeling sexy is a positive thing because lately it's been equated with feeling confident and feeling good about yourself, and having a good self-esteem, IMO. That's how I feel anyway.
ITA!

Quote:
I want to be seen as intelligent, thoughtful, kind, you get the point. Not saying you can't be seen as all those things and sexy but I just don't care if I seem sexy to other people or not. I guess its not something I value in myself.
I agree with this, too, but to me all those things *are* sexy. My guy finds me sexy because I'm smart, etc., and the reverse is true for me. I find his intelligence to be a huge turnon. I find the way he talks about his daughter and the obvious love he has for her to be sexy. When he's kind to someone who needs kindness, I think that's sexy. And I mean that in a "it makes me find him even more desirable" kind of way.

And mind you I don't aspire to be "sexy" all the time or to everyone. But in certain times and places and with certain people, yes, I want to be sexy.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-12-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #10  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Sexy is a state of being or attitude aka confidence!

A lot of things can be sexy not just looks and it does not = slutty by any means
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #11  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Cosmo is so ridiculous in so many ways.

Quote:
I truly believe the issue of "sexy" is far more a social/psychological component than something you're "born" with or without.

It all depends on how you were raised and whether or not you were raised to believe that sex is good/bad or public/private or whatever. And, to a degree, how much you choose to bypass the way you were raised.

I think it's a very complex question, to be honest - and I think we (western culture and to a large degree, American culture) demonized sexual feelings, thoughts, activities to the point that it's hard to know where the biology begins and the psycho-social aspect of it begins.
PhotoChick, you are so wise. I've spent the last six years studying and teaching about sexuality, and this is exactly what I would have said (although probably in a less articulate manner) if you hadn't beat me to the punch.

Everything I need to know about life I could have learned at 3FC. Just wish I'd realized it before I took out all those student loans...
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #12  

Wow! After I wrote that post, I had some other stuff to do, and was worried I'd come across as whiney and self pittying. I'm glad that you guys understood the sociology element I was curious about :nerding off/

To the people who touched on the idea of confidence= sexiness, I think that's a hugely valid point. And no, I'm not a very confident person.

Whoah...I feel a graduate thesis paper coming on...
Old 11-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #13  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

It's actually really funny because sometimes I feel confident and cute-ish but never sexy...and I mean Halloween...ugh. It just makes me feel awkward. I'm not very girlie, I'm more of a tomboy and I ended up wearing a hockey jersey, tights, boxers and some face paint and putting my hair back. Definitely not anything like some of the costumes we saw that night!

So then I was kinda flirting with this guy blah,blah,blah it didn't really go anywhere and the next morning my housemate tells me that she talked to one of our other housemates and they'd all apparently been talking about how I was all "sexy" that night. My housemate thought it was funny because she just couldn't picture me trying to be sexy...and concluded that it was probably just relaxed/cool/confident sexy that wasn't trying too hard.

Long story short (heh ) I think everyone has the potential to be sexy in their own right. I didn't feel "sexy" that night, but I felt good and apparently that translated as sexy to everyone else. Confidence definitely plays a huge role in it, I think.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #14  

Don't even get me started on the women's (and girls'!) halloween costumes!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

I'm the bomb diggity... totally sexy. it's a state of mind.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote