Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #1  

Default Please Help

I am going to be as brief as I can. I am at the end of my rope and seriously need any help I can get. Most recently; in the last two years, I have gained over 50 pounds. I have had 3 surgeries on my leg and hip which restrict regular exercise. Everything I try leaves me in pain, but I keep going in the hopes of looking like myself again. For the past six months I have been on diets without end. I have been on Jenny Craig, Atkins (eating meat), a healthy vegan diet (eating vegetables tofu and rice), nutrisystem, and the bodybugg system of counting calories in and out and have not shed a single pound. I don't know what to do next and just want go give up. Could it be an allergy? Am I just stuck in a bad situation due to my leg? Has anyone ever dieted for SIX MONTHS with NO RESULT????? Any help would be appreciated.

I guess I should add that my husband believes that I may have a food allergy. I read up on such allergies and the symptoms are usually weight loss and not gain. ?!? Also, I never had a weight issue through my life. I was a extraordinarily skinny child until I went to culinary school (at which point I gained 40, but lost it all within 2 months). When I married i was my normal weight 2 1/2 years ago (50lbs less)

Last edited by jhack; 11-11-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: addition
jhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Maybe try one plan and stick with that for a few months (say about 3); like calorie counting. Try PILATES, YOGA, TAI CHAI, CHAIR AEROBICS, and light indoor walking, if possible. Even make up your own plan that suits your body is fine: like hand weights and arm exercises of all kinds ... anything that burns energy really. Hope this helps in some way! Rosebud
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #3  
eat less, move more!

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome, jhack
I've gained 80 lbs in 2 years.
I dieted since March with minimal results before i found this place last month.
For me, i just kept giving up on whatever plan i was on.
Maybe a little more info will help, how old are you? any other big life changes?
I mean, i guess the surgeries alone are really enough to do it?
Hope you can find the support you need here. It has helped me tremendously.

Last edited by Billies Pottery; 11-11-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Billies Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #4  
There is no try...only do

S/C/G: 282/265/200

Height: 5'9"

I had significant weight gain after 2 knee surguries. My drs said a stationary bike was best for my leg, better than tread mill or free weights.
dizzybizzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #5  

Thanks for responding. I should do more upper body, but I do some and I do take private pilates with a guy who is very understanding. I like the advice about staying on one diet for a longer period of time. I'm of the mindset of 'if its not working why stick to it longer than 15 days or so...'

Do you know the symptoms of any disorders that might cause my lack of success??? I do have some stomach issues and other differences in the past year than before.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #6  

I am 30. 5'7". I got married recently. Because of my leg problems I have had to give up my career as a pastry chef. I can't think of any other changes or info that might help... Thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/150/128

Height: 5'7

welcome aboard. If i may be so bold, it kinda sounds like you're looking for something to "blame" your lack of weight loss on. I'm not saying a medical issue is totally out of the ordinary and by all means get your thyroid checked out as it may be hypothyroidism. But you said if yourself, "if its not working why stick to it longer than 15 days or so..." Weight loss is a life style change, it's not enough to change how you eat for a little while, lose the weight and then go back to what you were doing before, the change has to be permanent, that's why so many people regain the weight, they do something extreme to lose weight and then can't keep that life style up forever. I hope you stay on this board and look around and find something that works for you.

Start keeping a food journal, write down EVERYTHING you eat and drink, you will be surprised how many extra calories just appear throughout the day. If you can't do cardio, maybe you can try light weight lifting. Good luck with your journey.
justjenn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #8  

The bodybugg system that I am on logs all calories out and i do log all food consumed and it says i have a calorie deficit that should be yielding weight loss. The diets I tried I have not seen any weigh loss. Its not that give up... an example was i did extreme atkins and ate only protien and not even an ounce difference in just about 3 weeks (infact i gained 2.3 pounds) so I switched in the other direction to a vegan diet. I really can't explain how depressed Im becoming. I cry to my husband and he just can't understand. When I was on complete bed rest I ate anything i wanted and weighed the same. Whats the point of all this if I can't get back to the way I used to be. I am not attractive this way and am just about to give up.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/150/128

Height: 5'7

have you tried talking to a nutritionist? maybe you can find something that isn't on either extreme? i can understand how frustrating trying to lose weight is, but you can't give up because you are worth it. You may never get back to what you looked like before but so what, the outside packaging may have changed but you are still the same inside. What are some qualities you like about yourself, list those and keep them around as motivation. It will be ok.
justjenn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:00 AM   #10  

try something between atkins and vegetarian , every meal consists of food rich with protein and a lot of vegetables , and some good fat source like nuts or olive oil and some fish oil
Markoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #11  

Just how accurate is Bodybugg? Has it been tested by a source other than the manufacturer and found to be reliable? Do you actually weigh and measure your food or do you guess at the serving size? I second - see a nutritionist (be sure she is licensed). Food allergies rarely cause weight gain - many have visual signs like Hives, swelling, and stomach upset. What medication are you on? Is one of the side effects weight gain? If so, you need to be vigiliant but you can still lose weight. I have severe asthma and often have to take Prednisone for extended periods. It makes my hungry but I clamp down and tell myself eating is not an option. I plan all my meals for the week and stick to the plan.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote