General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-09-2008, 04:07 AM   #1  
=D

Default Do your friends and family know about 3FC?

This virtual online world provides unique support and here we can share our thoughts and experiences about a number of different things - not just dieting.

It occured to me to think about this the other day when I told my mother about the forums for the first time since I joined almost a year ago. I didn't purposely hide it, it just never really occured to me to tell her. Lately I find myself recounting things I read on the forums to friends, and telling jokes I hear from all of you fellow 3FCers.

But enough about my ranting.

So, do your friends and family know you come on 3FC?
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Some do, but they aren't interested in visiting. I never tell them my user name, however. Think about it... I might say things here that they wouldn't want to know about.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #3  
I m worth it

S/C/G: 176/174/143

Height: 5'2''

No, none of my friends or family members know about 3FC, for the simple reason that they were NEVER overweight ! And I don't bother telling them cause somehow they wouldn't understand the purpose !

But I m glad I m becoming a regular member, it sure really helps along the way. And even after I reach my goal weight, I will continue visiting and be active in the forum cause I know I would make lots of friends here, YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL, AND THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT.
Dazzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

They know about it and frequently order stuff through Amazon from here. (3FC benefits!) My daughter is a member but seldom logs on - in fact, I think her registration was cancelled for lack of use!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

My husband knows that there is a super website I go to to learn & chat with other people that are trying to lose weight, but that's it. He doesn't now the name of the site however. I'd kind of like to keep it my little secret you know. 3FC is where I go for support and can be completely honest, I don't want my friends & family impeeding on that.
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm with Extasee. My husband knows, but would never bother trying to find it on his own. It's nice to be able to talk about things with people who either understand the plight, or when it's not about diet, can be more objective than close family and friends. And they don't need to know everything, anyway!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #7  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extasee58865 View Post
My husband knows that there is a super website I go to to learn & chat with other people that are trying to lose weight, but that's it. He doesn't now the name of the site however. I'd kind of like to keep it my little secret you know. 3FC is where I go for support and can be completely honest, I don't want my friends & family impeeding on that.
same for me, but i told him the name. there's no way he'll ever remember it or even think to check it out.

I did tell one friend and she shared the info w/her sister. but for the most part, i think of this place as a weapon in my personal arsenal. maybe weapon does not connote the right image... no, it does.

you all help protect me from ..... you fill in the blank-- it changes on different days. i guess mostly myself

kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been on 3FC for many years, it'd be hard to hide it but I really didn't tell my husband until he saw me looking at the website and asked about it. I think that was when we first started living together. I hadn't told anyone else. Then when I went to meet some of the other mods, my mother in law asked "how do you know these people?" and I told her.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #9  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I've told family and friends about this website when they ask me how I stay motivated. 3FC plays a big hand in that!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 350/350/170

Height: 5'9"

i have shared the site with some other women who are trying to lose weight. i'm not sure they have ever visited it though. i go on and on about how wonderful it is, but i don't think they believe me. i would assume my hubby knows i visit some forum site and he has probably figured out what it is (it's in the drop down list on our computer and it says "3 fat chicks on a diet! famous weight loss support"). i doubt that he would ever go to the site though. i like having this site as my own little thing though. it's my little secret weapon for weight loss!
jmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #11  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

My husband knows all about it. We frequently have discussions based on topics that I find on the boards. He thinks it is great that I've found a means of external (meaning outside of our family) support.

We're both members of quite a few different forums, so I guess it really isn't as taboo as other couples.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I mention it to friends/family as "a weight loss and fitness board I belong to" ... but I don't go into specifics.

It's hard to keep it a secret though, when every now and then I will have a conversation that starts with "I read the other day ... " or "I was talking to someone the other day ... " and then I have to say where I read it or who I was talking to.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #13  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

DH knows. I've told him the website and he'd recognize my username. I bring up things I find here and share some of the amusing info. He has boards that he visits that I'm not so interested in.

I've shared the website name with friends, but doubt they've visited. I haven't shared my username with them.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

My DH frequently comes and reads over my shoulder- yes, it is annoying. He does it just for a sec to tease me and always asks, "How are the diets going?" He actually will yell this to me from anywhere in the house, whenever I am on the computer - whether I am on 3FC or not. He also used to joke that he was going to get an account, so he could talk to me online. I don't spend nearly as much time on here as I did about a year ago (maybe why I gained some weight back??), but he used to tease me a lot because I was on here a lot.

I've told several friends and tried to encourage them to use it. I have 2 extremely obese coworkers/friends - I've been telling them about 3FC for a couple of years. I REALLY THINK THEY COULD BENEFIT BY JOINING THIS FORUM! The one friend is a couple years younger than I am, but she struggles to walk from her classroom to the main office to get copies made. She has been worried about diabetes since I've known her, since her overweight mother and brother have been diagnosed with type II. Although she's been worried, she has not lost any weight. Well, lo and behold, this summer, just before we returned to school, she was diagnosed. Her doctor gave her an ultimatum - lose weight or begin insulin. He told her that her health will just go downhill. She is 37, has kids, and a great husband. I don't think she's ready for debilitating health issues, so she joined weight watchers. She lost 10 lbs. this month, which is great.

However, when I asked her if she had thought about getting on 3FC for support (just last week), she said, "Nah, I am really getting enough support at WW meetings." While I think that's wonderful, I don't understand her reluctance to join this forum - I think it could be so helpful to her.

Anyway, that was a tangent. Sorry!

One last thing - Although I've shared the site with many friends, I've never run across anyone I "know" on here. I suppose they could figure out who I am from my username and reading my posts, but I don't think anyone has.

Interesting question.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #15  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

My FH husband knows about this since I'm on here most of the time. He likes to read my post. Haha.

Some of my friends do, too, but no one from my family.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote