Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Diabetes and horrible stomach aches?

I have type 2 diabetes and when I was my highest weight when I first learned I had diabetes, I could only tell something was wrong because my stomach hurt frightfully bad, to the point I was sweating and doubled over.

It would only be in the morning time, and it would be cause I didn't eat soon enough.

It happened when I was losing weight too, but not as much.

One time when I ate many mints that had fake sugars in it my stomach hurt terribly bad.

Now a days, I'm back to losing weight, and I'm not overeating. However, sometimes in the morning I wake up with a terrible stomach ache... and it won't feel okay until I eat something (even a cracker would do it). It only happens in the morning...it hurts A LOT, and it occurs from not eating OR from something to do with my bloodsugar. Haven't ever checked my bloodsugar when it happens.

It doesn't prevent me from weight loss or anything... but I wonder, IS it diabetes related, or do I have another issue? Do other diabetics have this?
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerchick View Post
I have type 2 diabetes and when I was my highest weight when I first learned I had diabetes, I could only tell something was wrong because my stomach hurt frightfully bad, to the point I was sweating and doubled over.

It would only be in the morning time, and it would be cause I didn't eat soon enough.

It happened when I was losing weight too, but not as much.

One time when I ate many mints that had fake sugars in it my stomach hurt terribly bad.

Now a days, I'm back to losing weight, and I'm not overeating. However, sometimes in the morning I wake up with a terrible stomach ache... and it won't feel okay until I eat something (even a cracker would do it). It only happens in the morning...it hurts A LOT, and it occurs from not eating OR from something to do with my bloodsugar. Haven't ever checked my bloodsugar when it happens.

It doesn't prevent me from weight loss or anything... but I wonder, IS it diabetes related, or do I have another issue? Do other diabetics have this?
Without checking your blood sugar, you can't really say if it's related or not. It could also be an ulcer.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Check your blood sugar and check with your doctor.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

An ulcer? Well, that is comforting
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerchick View Post
An ulcer? Well, that is comforting
It could be a lot of things. I didn't mean to make you think, ok, everything's fine now. Sugar, ulcer, or something else - you need to check with your doctor and get treated.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:40 AM   #6  
Basking On South Beach

S/C/G: 397/340/178

Height: 6'3

I would definitely discuss this with your doctor, as it could also be a sign of gall bladder problems or pancreatitis. Both are common in Type 2 Diabetics. I'm a Type 2 Diabetic, had similar issues and wound up having to have my gall bladder removed. So, take care of yourself.
LadyNtreeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I definitely agree that you need to talk to your doctor. Stomach pain is not (as far as I know) directly related to diabetes.

The diabetes medication Metformin (Glucophage) can cause stomach upset (usually 'runny tummy' problems) until your system gets used to it. Sugar alcohols which are used in a lot of artificially sweetened products are famous for both that problem and painful cramps as well.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #8  

I agree with the others that you should tell your doctor. I never have any stomach problems even when my blood sugar is way too low. I will start sweating profusely when it drops below 40, but no pain in my stomach.

I would also suggest you start taking your blood sugar readings whenever you do not feel normal throughout the day so you can recognize how your body reacts to low blood sugar and high blood sugar.
Diana
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

It's anybody's guess as to whether it's connected to your diabetes, your medication, or something completely unrelated.

Do you test your blood sugar when you're getting these stomach aches? I know if my blood sugar is sky high, I'll start getting some pretty fierce stomach aches, as well as nausea.

You might just be extremely hungry in the morning. Try eating a snack before bed. And the sugar alcohols in the mints would have that sort of effect, too... sugar alcohols for me usually = crap city
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #10  
150 by my 50th!!!

S/C/G: 341/261.4/150

try to stay away from any foods with sugar alcohols as most diabetics are extremely sensitive (xylitol, malitol, any of the "tol" additives). As a matter of fact that is one of the first things a doctor will tell a diabetic patient to eliminate if they have bypass surgery.
Arlene Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:06 AM   #11  
National Debt Crisis Solu

Quote:
Whats the use of eating mint?
johnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/230/140

Height: 5'3

Red face Stomach Hurting with Diabetes

Hi i was browsing the net on Diabetes tonight because i found out yesterday i was a diabetic..... I was at 285 in October and now iam 230.. i was scared because io droped so much weight in so little time,couldnt really eat and thirsty as **** and deadly stomach pains......I read your comments about pain in the stomach, I have a great deal of that pain to point iam am crunched over my bed... My Doc said the pain is from the pacres trying to put out insilein to level out the blood sugar... i have been testing my blood about 3 times a day... It stays in the 300-400 all day when the normal is 70-150... hopefully the meds they put me on will bring it dow... i felt really good when I saw this website...It helped me find pepole with the same sickness that we can incourage and help lose weight....

Feeling your pain
Hartnellchick
Hartnellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #13  

What are you eating on a day to day basis? How often? Do you eat late at night?
irrevocable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #14  

Hi all, I am 25 weeks pregnant. Is gestational diabetes like regular diabetes? I am a bit worried about this since type 2 diabetes runs in my family. I have been trying my best to steer clear of junk food but have also given in quite a few times to cookies, etc during my pregnancy. Is that going to contribute to me getting this form of diabetes? How serious is it? Please help me with your helpful advice. Thanks a lot.
eva357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #15  

Eva, you should really ask your doctor for information. They probably have a flyer. In general, gestational diabetes goes away after delivery, but you're still at higher risk of developing diabetes later in life.

My parents both have diabetes, and my two sisters both had gestational diabetes, so that was a major motivator in my lifestyle change.