Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #1  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Default Cool Runners -- November thread!

OK, I guess I'll start it this month!

Did my longest run yesterday in a long while - 15 miles. The weather was nice and cool (yay, fall!) and I felt surprisingly good. My legs were feeling it, but I finished nice and strong, in a little over 2.5 hours. My first half marathon is in 2 weeks, so I'll taper down from here. Did 5 easy miles this morning ....

How about the rest of you weekend runners?
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Hello Everyone, I survived the 10K I did on Sunday and I'm satisfied with the results. I did it! As you may remember I have only run 5K's in a race, never a 10K, and my longest distance run ever is 9 miles - I mostly do about 6-7 miles 3x a week and then swim the other days. But for my upcoming 50th birthday I wanted to try this event.

It was a beautiful day, a bit chilly, 42 degrees, but very sunny. We started at the base of the Be Franklin Bridge in Camden, NJ, ran over it to the Philadelphia side, then back - this was about 3.1 miles. Then we went through an area they have by the river for the next 3.1 miles, including some of the city of Camden, past the battleship New Jersey, etc., and then finishing in Campbell Field, a minor league baseball stadium right against the bridge.

It was really a lot of fun, great views, lots of people (about 3,000 in the race and 1,000 walking). I felt I did well on the first half, as I run hills well and I'm used to a 5K, although I did manage to keep my pace down, with a struggle, since the excitement really can take over. I found the second half hard, even though it was very flat, and at first I was taken aback by EVERYONE passing me. But, I realized, for me this is a really long race, but for most of these people, they train for longer distances and it's actually quite short. There were a lot of half and marathoners in the crowd as I learned talking to others later! Then I settled down and just ran along best as I could. My chip time was 52:11 and I was very happy with that, I realized from looking at the clocks along the way I had actually run it pretty evenly all through it, although the last half felt so much harder.

Everyone was very happy and the atmosphere was festive, and we all got finisher medals, which I wore all day after this. I really enjoyed the event and so did my husband, who also ran it. I did like doing a longer event, but I can see that if I wanted to make it more of a regular thing I need to run longer distances in practice, maybe run more days, and I'm not sure I want to do that, so it helped me to try it and see how I liked it. I think the 5K suits me a bit better in terms of how much I think my legs can take at this stage of my life, and also leaving time for me to do my other exercise. Longer runs are for a special event for me! But anyway, I'm really glad I did it.

I did a 5K last weekend also, in a park. It was on paved roads but hilly and I may be nuts but I like hilly courses. Supposedly I did 22:22 but that's way too fast and I really don't believe that time - the event was kind of casually organized and I would not be surprised if they measured the course casually! But I figured it could not be more than 2 tenths off, so, that would come out to about a 24:00 and that would be good for me, so I was happy no matter what. Plus I did win my age group and got a little trophy, it was fun! And they had really good food afterwwards!

OK, that's my report! I have a lot of empathy now for all of you doing so many miles, having tried something longer myself, and I'm very impressed with all the marathon and half-marathon running. Not that I wasn't before but now - I had a little taste of it and the experience has made it a lot more real!
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/160/148

Height: 5'6"

MBN~ Good job on the 15 mile run. A half marathon right around the corner sounds very exciting.

Pink~ Yay on your first 10K! It sounds like a beautiful run.

As for me, I did a 5K and sprints on Sunday. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a nice long run in.
lene1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Pink -- AWESOME time on both races!!! Congratulations! If you are interested in running longer races regularly, IMO you don't need to add more running days -- just do a longer run during one of those running days (the long, slower, distance run). That long run is the key to distance training. The length depends on the race that you're training for. With only one "long run" a week, it doesn't impact your cross training that much. If you extended your long run up to 10-12 miles, then you could run a half marathon. (and they usually give out medals too!)
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

MBN - I'm amused by your easy 5 miles. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to the point where 5 miles are easy.

Having said that, I did a little over 3 miles of walk/run intervals this morning. Up and down hills. Funny thing is it really didn't feel hard. During the last hill near the end of my workout, my legs told me that they were done so I increased the amount of walking versus running. Also I was almost home so it was a bit of a cooldown anyway.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Geranium View Post
Hello Everyone, I survived the 10K I did on Sunday and I'm satisfied with the results. I did it! As you may remember I have only run 5K's in a race, never a 10K, and my longest distance run ever is 9 miles - I mostly do about 6-7 miles 3x a week and then swim the other days. But for my upcoming 50th birthday I wanted to try this event.
When I grow up I wanna be you . I guess in 10 years I might manage it .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #7  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Hi all,

I am trying to run 3-4 times a week faithfully this month to see if I can improve my endurance. Monday I ran 2 miles. It wasn't easy. I am still recovering from the longest cold ever but I figured I could just slow down a little and do 2 miles without much issue. I think running is always going to be a challenge for me, but I do enjoy it. I am going to try 2 miles on Mon/Wed, then 3 on Fridays. I am not sure what to do on weekends. Maybe sprints?
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Hi MBN, thanks for your encouragement. I hadn't realized that I could fit in training for the longer distance that way, thanks for the info. I am going to think about it over the winter as I see how I hold up. I do want to do a 10 mile race next May (thankfully all on a level course). So it's in my mind, this longer stuff. I just don't want to hurt myself - after all these years of sitting around not being able to do anything athletic , things now are a lot of fun and I don't want to mess it up by getting ahead of myself (a tendency I do seem to have!).

We don't have too many 10K's around here, it's easy to find a 5K every weekend but not the 10K. I am sure that's a long enough distance for me (having said that, I did sign up for an 8.4 mile run on 11/16, but it's a RUN to me, not a RACE, so I am thinking of it differently, and I'm doing it because it's a chance to try out a nice long path I haven't been able to do yet). Anyway, it gives me something to think about and try for in the future. I do like having new goals. Keeps me interested and burning calories, which is what this is all about, anyway.

On another subject, I'm wondering what everyone wears to run in the rain (in the colder weather, I mean). I've run during the summer in the rain and it didn't matter being wet, but now...it can be chilly! Any suggestions?
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/154 CW/140-145ish GW

Height: 5'6.5"

Pink - It sounds like your 10K was a lot of fun, and I'm always amazed by your times - great job! Thanks for the race report. I don't have an answer to the running in the rain question but would love to hear anyone else's answers!

MBN - It sounds like you will be well prepared for your half. It's great to have fall weather to run/train in.

lene - did you get your long run in?

Nelie - It wasn't that long ago that even 2 miles felt hard for me so I think you certainly have the ability to eventually run an "easy 5". Of course there are days that a 5 mile run is still a hard one for me though!

cakses - if you are trying to build endurance I think just getting out there and doing it will make a difference, but it wouldn't hurt to add sprints on the weekends.

I haven't done too much running since the marathon as I have been having some issues with my left knee. I've been trying to walk and to go for a couple of short runs. I'm signed up for a cross country run the weekend before Thanksgiving so I'm hoping it is okay by then.

Happy running everyone!
jenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #10  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Ran 2.5 miles today on the TM. It was slightly killer, but there was no passing out or puking so I guess it wasn't that bad. I need to figure out what fatigues me so quickly because I slowed down my pace by over a minute and that is pretty much as slow as I can run without tripping over myself. I ran it at an 11:15ish pace - any faster and I crap out a lot sooner, any slower and I just start getting clumsy. I am trying for a complete 5k on Friday. Could have done it today with an extra push but I was already so fatigued I figured 2.5 was good enough.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

Hi ladies. Hope it's ok if I join this group. My name is Jennifer, and I started running in March. I'm actually a member of the 3FC group at RA, but I think I heard that you guys post here instead of there?

I did my first 7 miler yesterday and I am so excited! The most I'd done before that was 5. I'm not sure what happened. It was a really rainy and cold day, but I decided to just get out there and see how long I could go, and it was a lot further than I ever thought possible. I could have pushed on to 8 miles, but I didn't want to overdo it. Went out today and did 2 miles just to shake out my legs, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Maybe I'm getting the hang of this running thing?

cakses, I'm still a newbie, but the one thing that really helped me was slowing down more than I thought possible so that I could get in the mileage and run more often. It wasn't that my body or legs were tired per se, more like my breathing and heart had to catch up. So I started focusing on pushing up and almost bouncing (for lack of a better example) which sounds really weird but helped a lot. I was @ a 12:00 mm pace most of the time. Another thing I did was to add in short 20-30 second walk breaks when I felt my heart rate or breathing become erratic. It gave me a chance to catch up and keep going instead of burning myself out.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #12  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hi runners. I have been following along with everyone but have been kind of boring in my running, so not too many updates.

Tomorrow I have a 12 mile run planned. Last week I did 10 miles. I was feeling sort of off, but I manged to finish the run I had planned. Then the next day I had a blinding headache and the day after that had a cough for one night followed by laryngitis and sinusitis. Now, it is one week later and I am mostly well and have kept up with my runs, kids and work, throughout.

woohoo, go me! (nobody else says it )

Since my mention of a May marathon I have spoken with several other runners who have done significant bodily damage with training and racing.

So, it is my current plan to go for a half marathon in January and see how things come about for May. I'm thinking another half would be pretty cool too. We'll see.

let's have some cool running in November!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #13  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Back again!

It rained when I was running yesterday so I can answer the question about what I wear. Actually it more misted than rained. And the weather was kind of warm- low 60s/high 50s. I wore a baseball hat, tee shirt and poly long underwear top which soon came off to be tied around my waist.

OK, not much help there, sorry.

My 12 mile run felt great. I ran very carefully as there were wet leaves covering all surfaces. The funny thing about my soreness is that it has very little to do with my long run and everything to do with a 20 min power sculp video that I did the day before. Squats and lunges kicked my a$$!

Have a great SAturday everyone!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #14  
No description available.

Woohoo, go Kitty!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Hello!

I'm having a recovery day today but yesterday I ran a 26km (just over 16 miles) mountain running race for the first time

I've previously one other "mountain race" but it was only over 16kms (10 miles and the time was 1hr 25mins) and around one peak. This one was around (and up!) three.

It rained, it was muddy, it was very slippery, there were more rocks and logs than trail and some sections were so steep you almost had to crawl the trail was so vertical (I am not joking either! One section I seriously almost WAS on my knees).

But I DID it! *happy dance*

It took 3 hours on the dot which I am more than happy with given the running conditions and a knee threatening to buckle. That distance running on the road usually takes me about 2hrs 15mins give or take...but thats flat and nice and even(ish) lol.

Tomorrow I think i'll just take a nice slow jog around the suburb in the morning...loosen up all these aching muscles :P

Last edited by Lyria; 11-09-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote