View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
AnneWonders

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Berkeley View Post
Hi Anne,
The format of the book, in terms of the Rules and focus on Primarian plan, was what I needed to do in order to get it published. When I first tried to sell the idea of a maintenance book to agents, they said it would never sell to a publisher. The reason was that publishers (according to knowledgeable agents) would not take a book that did not address a perceived problem. In their view, people who had completed a diet did not feel they had a problem any more!

This argument ran completely counter to my own professional experience. I interview new patients every week, and almost without exception they have lost and regained weight many times. They are completely frustrated by their inability to maintain. I was finally able to convince a book agent on this point. I then presented the book at a writer's conference for physicians in Boston. I was advised by publishers there that the book needed "rules". I guess there are certain formats that seem comfortable to buyers from their point of view. Since my main goal was to get the topic of maintenance into public view, I worked to create a book that would be saleable.
I was sort of wondering if this might be the case. This must be frustrating to fit your experience and advice in a short list adapted to someone else's format and I'm sorry you had to do so for your publishers to feel your book would be commercially successful. I rarely find mainstream diet books that I find helpful, since I can barely follow my own plan and never anyone else's. On the other hand, I really enjoy the kind of dialog that this thread has evolved into, and I'm grateful that you are taking the time to talk with me/us, especially since I expressed some difficulties with your book.

I do have another question about the use of artificial sweeteners in a Primarian diet, which as I alluded to in my original post I find counter intuitive. I've heard a lot of people here discuss how they also trigger cravings for additional sweets and junk foods, even though they don't (we think) trigger an insulin response, they do trigger a psychological one. Have you found that to be the case in your practice?

Anne
-from Song of Myself, Walt Whitman
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote