General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #1  
=D

Default Tunes or no tunes?

Do you listen to music when you work out?

I vary. If I'm cycling, I usually dont - unless it's on the stationary at the gym. Elliptical I do - or watch the gym tvs with my headphones in. Running - no way. I learnt the hard way that velocity and my iPod don't mix. Plus, I find music really irritating when I'm at 189 bpm and 15.4 km/h, going for my life.

How about you?
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #2  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Nope. But I rarely listen to music in the car either. I prefer my "inner chatter" and find I can motivate myself to work harder if it's just me and my head. The music is too distracting, and depending on the beat can actually slow me down!
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 PM   #3  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

On occasion, I'll listen to it while on the elliptical. I never listen to them while walking outside, as people around my area let their dogs roam.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #4  
starting over again

I don't think I could get through a workout without music. But I'm a music junkie. I probably listen to music about 12 hours a day.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:31 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

When I walk or exercise by myself, music is a MUST. It motivates me. But when I'm with my walking buddy, no way. I prefer to talk.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #6  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

No. My hubby bought me one of those tiny little ipods to take with me walking but I get so anxious walking around by myself I don't really want to use it. I don't want to appear like I'm not paying attention to my surrounding..and I definately want to be able to hear anyone coming near me. At the gym I never did either but I was with my hubby so we'd talk periodically. I like music but I'm not a big music person I guess. I listen to talk radio every day but I only listen to music about once a week, when I'm in the car (I don't go anywhere so I'm not in the car much).
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:46 AM   #7  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

When I jog or walk, I always have my iPod on. When I'm using my stationary bike or my punching bag, I usually watch t.v. I can't stand exercising in silence!
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #8  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

ALWAYS! I would get too bored without it. Even when I am walking on the treadmill I will be listening to the ipod and watching the tv, lol. The treadmill bores me to death so I need something. The only time I don't listen to music while walking outdoors is if I have a walking partner.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

I have to have music on. I usually have my ipod in and I watch tv, because i get bored otherwise. my husband makes fun of me, but i like to multi task, keeps me occupied and focused.
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #10  
People call me tiny now!

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/145

Height: 5'5"

That's the same for me too. I MUST have the tv and ipod on when I walk on the treadmill/stationary bike. When I go for walks to the park by my house I never get bored and don't need my ipod.
PunchBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #11  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

If I'm working out with a friend, then usually, no. I enjoy talking to my friend and unless we're doing a really strenuous workout, then I enjoy their company.

If I'm alone, I HAVE TO HAVE MY MUSIC or I will go home. One of my daily exercise prerequisites is to make sure my Ipod is charged so I have no excuse!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #12  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

When I'm running, I can listen to music or not, maybe watch something on TV if I'm on the treadmill. Sometimes I listen to books on tape.

When I'm on the arc trainer, though, I have to have my upbeat workout mix, because I burn waaaayyy more calories if I step (or whatever the correct verb is...) to the beat.

Last edited by just keep swimming; 11-01-2008 at 05:20 PM.
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #13  
=D

I can relate to what the majority of you think.... music can be both distracting and motivating. For me, it depends on the exercise and my mood. Podcasts are also among my favourite things to listen to.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #14  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

I love music. I listen to it all the time and especially when I work out. It keeps me focused because my gym has alot of other distractions. I am going through withdrawls right now though, my ipod is broke and my bf took home with him to fix I hope he gets it done asap because its like my left arm has been cut off.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #15  
FB

I almost always use music while doing cardio at the gym. Outdoors is a liability for me, especially on the bike - so never when I'm doing my thing outside.

The exception for music at the gym is when I'm with my personal trainer, obviously, or working out with someone. Talking makes the time go by quicker, for sure.

I've recently started using music for weights. I don't know why I never did! Some down and dirty classic rock is empowering and actually helps me.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote