Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Question Cardio after Strength training?

How much cardio do you do after a strength training session??

I am currently doing circuit training with jumping jacks and jumping rope incorporated into my circuit. My heart rate monitor says my average heart rate is 155 and at 76%. So I was just wondering how much cardio do you think I should do and how much does everyone else do??

TIA

ETA: My circuits are usually an hour or a bit longer!!

Last edited by AngelMae; 10-31-2008 at 09:19 AM.
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #2  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb

S/C/G: 148/146.5/130

Height: 5'5"

Hmm, well, on days that I do strength training, it's usually preceded by cardio (I don't know if that makes any difference, but I do know it's important that whatever order, your muscles are at least a little warm for strength training, so a five-minute warm-up should suffice).

I do cardio for 45 minutes and strength for another 45. During cardio, my guess is I get somewhere around 160 - 170. This is a good range for me, as I'm only 18.

Happy Halloween!!!
MadelinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #3  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I heard somewhere that you should do cardio after strength training - If I remember correctly, the rationale is that you will burn more calories because your muscles begin to tire.

Anyway, I usually do 30 to 35 minutes of cardio after strength training - running, elliptical, etc.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

You are already doing cardio in your workout and your workout is already fairly long. It's up to individual desires and choices, of course, but I think your workout is sufficient as is. If you desire, you can throw in some light steady state as a cool down.

If you want to add more cardio to your overall program, I'd personally add it in separate sessions.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I separate my weight training and cardio into different workout sessions. But, when I go to the gym to do weight training, I warm up on the elliptical - usually for 7-10 minutes. That's more than enough to get me sweaty. I don't want to sweat too much because once I start, I will continue sweating when working the machines and I really hate to use a machine after somebody who it totally soaked (even if the machine gets wiped down) so therefore I do not want to get to that "drippy" stage myself (I sweat very easily when I exercise).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Like Tomato I warm up with about 10 minutes of cardio before weight training. Otherwise I do my cardio on a separate day, or at least a different time of the same day. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, except that if you do long cardio before, your muscles may be too tired to get the most out of lifting. Just MHO though.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ideally you should do weights first, then cardio. The idea there is that you want your muscles "fresh" so that your weight lifting is done at maximum effort, rather than after being already partially tired out by cardio.

My strength/weight lifting sessions take 25-40 minutes depending on where in the cycle I am. Afterward, I do about 30 mins of ss-cardio at a medium high heart rate for me.

On non-lifting days I do 30 mins of HIIT.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #8  
BELIEVE!

I strength train 3x per week approx 45 minute sessions. I warm up with 5 minutes on the eliptical and then afterwards I do 30 minutes. On my non-strength days I do 45-50 min cardio.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 265/250/209

Height: 5'6"

A few years back I had a personal trainer who actually represented Australia at the Commonwealth Games - so Im assuming she knew what she was talking about.

Anyway, the routine she gave me was cardio first (bike & treadmill), followed by all the weights, then crunches & reverse crunches.

Worked well for me back then. Lost weight, gained muscle and fitness.

I did an hour cardio, followed by 30 - 45 minutes weights.

I dont think I could have done it the other way around!
blazinhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #10  
=D

If I've done my weights right, I can't usually squeeze out more than 20 - 40 mins of cardio on a lifting day.

Generally, however - I do about 30 minutes of cardio at the gym after I've done my strength training, and that doesn't include my bike ride home, which takes less than 15 mins but is uphill.

AngelMae - If you are working at 76% for an hour, that sounds awesome.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

My wl is about 1 hr 15mins or so and then I do 30 mins hiit cardio on a treadmill. Really helps to get the stiff-legged feeling in my legs worked out. Then I stretch for about :10.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazza View Post
If I've done my weights right, I can't usually squeeze out more than 20 - 40 mins of cardio on a lifting day.

Generally, however - I do about 30 minutes of cardio at the gym after I've done my strength training, and that doesn't include my bike ride home, which takes less than 15 mins but is uphill.

AngelMae - If you are working at 76% for an hour, that sounds awesome.
Thanks for all the imput ladies!!

Thanks Mazza, that is just the average. My HRM gives me an average after I am done working out!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote