Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:25 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default What food won't you give up--and why?

I've seen a number of members post about foods that they can't imagine doing without or that they "won't" give up. Do you have foods or drinks in this category? If so, and more important, why? What is it about them that you can't or won't give up?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

There is a ton of things that I won't give up. Actually, the only thing I have given up is sugared drinks and fast food. I still eat pizza, pasta, cake, etc, just not very often, and in reasonable quanitites. I won't give them up because I REALLY enjoy them!
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM   #3  

Man, I'm telling you, I can not give up cheese, butter or good bread. I know those 3 are sooo calorie dense and the butter and cheese are really high in fat as well, so I just count them and really try to watch the portions. But those are definilty my weaknesses. They tempt me every time. I tried to just stop using butter and cheese altogether, but I miss them! Lol, weird, I know. I think for me they are like "comfort foods".
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Bread and rolls!! I love any kind of bread or rolls and I just wouldnt be happy without them. I eat them in moderation but I just cant see giving them up!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:52 AM   #5  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

'Icecream' because it is my favorite, so even though I don't drink milk anymore... I have soy icecream, cocunut milk icecream or sorbet
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I won't give up grits. It's the food my ancestors ate--both sides of the family. It's the food that truly speaks to my soul and ties me emotionally and IMO physically, to my roots. The flavor runs deep in my blood. I eat them once a week with a real egg and sausage or bacon and always will.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #7  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

peppercorn ranchdressing on my sandwiches. and notteh fat free stuff...
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #8  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb

S/C/G: 148/146.5/130

Height: 5'5"

Two words: peanut butter.

Luckily, it's not incredibly damaging to a low-carb diet such as the one I'm on, with only 4-5 grams per serving (though I usually eat about two servings...) I make breakfast my "carb meal" with half a grapefruit (11 g) and 1.5 servings of PB (6-7 g) and keep to Caesar and meat salads for the rest of the day, so I'm around 20 total. It seems to work!
MadelinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:16 AM   #9  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb

S/C/G: 148/146.5/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelinRose View Post
Two words: peanut butter.

Luckily, it's not incredibly damaging to a low-carb diet such as the one I'm on, with only 4-5 grams per serving (though I usually eat about two servings...) I make breakfast my "carb meal" with half a grapefruit (11 g) and 1.5 servings of PB (6-7 g) and keep to Caesar and meat salads for the rest of the day, so I'm around 20 total. It seems to work!
And why yes, I do eat it straight off the spoon (and wash it down with coffee... delish!!!)
MadelinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 AM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

There are plenty of foods I don't eat very often. Either it's very unhealthy but I like it so I only eat it occasionally (pizzeria pizza, French fries, garlic bread, ice cream), or it's just something I don't like that much and I realized I didn't miss eating it (donuts...okay I can't think of all that many, but there are a few). I hate to say "no, I can never have that again". It's just so sad.

But every morning I have 1 tablespoon of regular half & half in my coffee. I cut back but refused to give it up, no matter what plateau I was on or how few calories I had cut back to. Starting the day off with the perfect cup just makes my day so much happier. And at 20 calories, I can certainly "afford" it in my calorie budget.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #11  

I would agree with these other ladies too. I haven't really sworn off anything--I just consume in moderation.

I read once that Dolly Partons favorite food is a loaded pizza. She orders one every week completely drenched in everything and takes one big bite of the most tempting piece of the pie and gives the rest of it to someone else. I think that's a great idea.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:33 AM   #12  

Megan, I noticed you were close to my starting weight. Can I ask you what you are doing to get down and how long it is taking you? When did you begin. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I would agree with these other ladies too. I haven't really sworn off anything--I just consume in moderation.
Yeah me too.

There's nothing I've "given up" - but there are plenty of things that I haven't eaten in over a year and don't miss. But I'm one of those people who, if you tell me I can't - I automatically MUST. So giving things up doesn't work for me.

If pressed, however, I'd have to say that I won't give up cheese of any kind. I eat cheese - the full fat version - every day. Cheddar, blue, havarti, feta, gorgonzola ... any and all cheese is my friend. I never met a cheese I didn't like.

So yeah, if you had to press me for one thing, I'd say I'll never give up cheese.

Oh, and Diet Coke. But that's another issue entirely.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #14  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledOne View Post
Diet Coke! But really I haven't gave up anything I have just gave up eating certain things as often but I will have them every once in a while. Such as Pizza and french fries.
Dido on the diet coke. Coke Zero is my favorite. I drink a coke zero when I need to get rid of a sweet tooth or when I'm hungry between meals.

~Utterly Absurd~
Moonlight Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #15  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm with Photochick on this one. CHEESE. Full body, any flavor, cheese glorious cheese. I also will never give up plain old black coffee. The only way I'd give it up is if a world renowned Doctor told me I would die if I didn't. Though I have given up certain foods simply because of the great mental stress and long term cravings I have if I have just one bite. All of these foods are either fried carbs or sugar filled.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote