General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #1  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Default Loose vs Lose

"If I lose weight my pants will be loose..."

I am having a debate and a friend insists it's "If I loose weight....

Can anyone please confirm...

I see a lot of instances where loose is confused with lose...
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Mom View Post
"If I lose weight my pants will be loose..."

I am having a debate and a friend insists it's "If I loose weight....

Can anyone please confirm...

I see a lot of instances where loose is confused with lose...
Yeah, your friend is wrong . But I wouldn't consider this forum proof. Just use a dictionary. Lose is a verb, loose is an adjective.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #3  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb

S/C/G: 148/146.5/130

Height: 5'5"

It's lose. One easy way to tell: the double vowel "oo" makes the s hard (my pants will be loose.) The single "o" makes it soft (if I lose weight...")

I'm more than happy to spread the knowledge, as I've been a hard-line grammar policewoman all my life. I always read posts here as "I need to LOOSE some weight!" Wait, what do you mean, loosen your weight?
MadelinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

haha that's one of the things that really bugs me. I can't understand how people can't get the right word in the right sentence. Like, their, there, and they're...or wait, weight....it's annoying.

It is Lose weight. Loose is if something doesn't fit properly and is to big. You are correct.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #5  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Thank you.....

I wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my mind... and not loosing my mind...
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

One more confirmation on that.

During weight Loss, you Lose weight, inches, etc. That makes your pants Loose.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelinRose View Post
It's lose. One easy way to tell: the double vowel "oo" makes the s hard (my pants will be loose.) The single "o" makes it soft (if I lose weight...")

I'm more than happy to spread the knowledge, as I've been a hard-line grammar policewoman all my life. I always read posts here as "I need to LOOSE some weight!" Wait, what do you mean, loosen your weight?
On a related matter I've seen a lot of posts lately about "weighting" oneself in the morning.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #8  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

yay those things bug me to no end. sometimes if someone's email is bad enough i won't even read it. i'm a word snob i guess. lol.
i have a boss who refuses to properly conjugate verbs and i drives me crazy.
or - if i was here i has a boss who refuse to properly congugate verb and it drive me crazy. lol. she totally weights herself to see if she loosed any wait. lmao.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziep View Post
yay those things bug me to no end. sometimes if someone's email is bad enough i won't even read it. i'm a word snob i guess. lol.
i have a boss who refuses to properly conjugate verbs and i drives me crazy.
or - if i was here i has a boss who refuse to properly congugate verb and it drive me crazy. lol. she totally weights herself to see if she loosed any wait. lmao.
But capitalization doesn't bother you?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
But capitalization doesn't bother you?

Sorry...but that was funny. You walked right into that one.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #11  
No description available.

I'm not bothered by grammatical errors or typos on message boards. I know I've made my fair share--especially when I am in a hurry or tired.

But I do have to brag a bit---my 8 year old daughter showed me a story she wrote the other day and she wrote "a lot"---two words!!! Tears of joy filled my eyes!! If my children learn nothing else from me other than "a lot" is 2 words, my life will still be well-lived.

>sigh of complete happiness<
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
But I do have to brag a bit---my 8 year old daughter showed me a story she wrote the other day and she wrote "a lot"---two words!!! Tears of joy filled my eyes!! If my children learn nothing else from me other than "a lot" is 2 words, my life will still be well-lived.

>sigh of complete happiness<
Ha, ha! Too funny! I thought I was the only one that wrote it that way.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Typos and the occasional grammatical mistake don't bother me, but there are a handful of things that set my teeth on edge.

Your / You're
They're / Their / There
alot

Also I see a lot of people who use phrases or words that they've heard, but don't really know ... which sometimes results in a funny sentence, but sometimes just annoys me.

I guess I'm kind of a grammar/usage snob myself.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #14  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

On first read, grammar errors DO bother me. But then I step back and laugh at myself.
I have to remember that we are an international community and many of our members have learned English as a second language.

And - working in a junior high school, I also realize that things are changing when it comes to casual written conversation. Attention to capitalization, punctuation, spelling, grammar - seems to have diminished.

And - I'm thankful that few people here use words and phrases that have me running to Urban Dictionary to decipher. At least I UNDERSTAND the posts here

Last edited by CountingDown; 10-30-2008 at 08:46 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I used to be very proud of my spelling and grammar skills (and I often can still access them if I concentrate - luckily for hubby - he asks me to spell at least three words per day). But cognitive problems are common with fibromyalgia (it's a neurotransmitter disorder, so that may account why it messes with so many systems in the brain), and for me that means short term memory problems and difficulty with words, especially finding the right word, and a tendency to spell words phonetically.

I've never had to think twice about two/too; they're, their, and there; alot/a lot; 've/of. Now I make all fairly often (I caught myself not long ago writing I would of - and although I caught it right away I felt like a super bonehead, since it was my personal pet peeve). I can still usually proofread, thankfully as the words still look wrong to me, but when writing I find myself using phonetic spellings for words (embarassingly small and easy words). I wrote tue the other day instead of two. I had just written the word true, so maybe that accounted for the cross in brain signals.

As a result, I definitely am more sympathetic to spelling and grammar errors. Nothing's worse than thinking you're now one of the people you used to roll your eyes at (I think it's now ok to end a sentence with a preposition, if not I guess I should have said, "Nothing's worse than thinking you're now one of the people at which you used to roll your eyes").

I think it does remind me that "pride goeth before a fall," not in that I think my difficulties with grammar are divine retribution, but I definitely do have a different perspective and find myself looking up, instead of down, in a way I wouldn't have expected. It's taught me to be more patient with a lot of things that people do that used to annoy me, because right now I annoy myself more than anyone in the world.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-30-2008 at 09:16 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote