Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/147/120

Height: 5'5"

Default Exercising With An Injury

Hello All:

I began having foot pain a while ago (end of September) in the ball of my foot right below the big toe. It took me about three weeks to get in to see a doctor (I know, I know, a long time. I can thank the HMO system and it's lovely gift to society of referrals.). It seems that I have sesamoiditis (he's not entirely sure though because I had to get a separate referral to get an x-ray and I'm still waiting on that one.)

Does anyone else have that? It seems to be a recurrent type of condition that makes it painful to walk let alone run.

Since it started, I completely fell off the exercise band wagon, but I have to get back on some how. I can't just be a couch potato for the rest of my life. Anyone have any exercise recommendations that are easy on the feet? I'm thinking stationary bike, but I can't just do that. I think I'd die from boredom.

This sucks, I'm too young to have this sort of problem!
paniania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #2  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

I have a non-union break of the sesamoid bone which threw me off the exercise wagon for several months. The podiatrist did give me orthopaedic inserts to wear for 6 weeks and this greatly improved the discomfort. I am back to wearing heels after 3 months and just ran for the first time again last night.

I was told that mine was an overuse injury - I was training for a triathlon but had to drop out because of the break and just 3 weeks before the triathlon too.

I'm taking the running slowly now since the podiatrist didn't give me good odds of it healing without surgery, however, that is a broken sesamoid (confirmed by x-rays) and not sesamoiditis.

I did a lot of research when I first found out and was absolutely devastated but things are improving.

I was told that I could continue swimming and biking as long as there was not pressure or impact on the ball of the foot - this is not easy with biking.

So if you have access to a pool, swimming might be a good option with little impact on the sesamoid.

I wish you the best and a fast recovery.
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/146/128

Height: 5'7"

floor work is a good option. i rolled my ankle & can't use it, so i've been doing crunches, push-ups, leg lifts, pilates exercises, etc. on the floor... u can do lots of strength & conditioning & maybe even get a good heart rate going if u try hard enough... hope u get better soon!
Ami12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey now, no knocking the stationary bike. It is my primary form of cardio exercise. I love it BECAUSE it is mindless. I watch TV, and I do High Intensity Interval Training on my bike for 30 to 40 minutes everyday. I also walk a few days a week and I do strength training with resistance bands. It is all very low impact, but combined with calorie counting, I have lost close to 40 pounds in about 4 months.

Do you belong to a health club? You might also try the eliptical -- it is pretty low impact. Or some clubs have rowing machines. They get your heart really pumping without putting any strain on your feet at all.

Good luck!

Last edited by Schumeany; 10-30-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote