Old 06-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default So what is an alternachick?

I'm bored, have insomnia, have always wondered, so thought I would ask.

Is it like girls who are into heavy metal and hard rock, because I am, or does it mean girls who are into that kinda music and dress gothically? I don't dress gothically but when I was in school there were some elements to my dress. I was too scared to go full goth but I enjoyed putting on black nailpolish every once in awhile, once I dyed my hair so dark it looked black so I wore bright red lipstick with my really pale skin and black nail polishes.. I guess I was a bit of a poser but I am a loyal metal/hardrock/alternative fan. And if you chicks are Goth/punk girls, I just love the way you guys dress. Hot Topic has some of the coolest stuff (oh, my, god, I sound like a teenager.)

....But if that's not what is meant by alternachick, I'm completely sorry for butting in the forum.

Just wondering, I'm curious.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/284/170

Height: 5'10

Welcome!
Hope1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Just my two cents: I thought it was just a great term for those of us who just don't feel like we "fit in" with the "norm".

I was HEAVY into New Wave in high school, and later got into industrial/goth. Both music scenes were a bit avant garde for their times, and my life evolved around the scenes. I didn't really relate to people that were into sports or movies or such. But for what it's worth, I still don't.

I haven't been part of any "scene" for years now. My life looks more akin to that of a soccer mom than a goth chick, but I still don't feel like I fit in with the soccer mom types. I grew up, but my tastes didn't.
havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #4  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Hi you guys. I don't fit in with the soccer mom types either. I am a new mom, but I'm the mom that blasts rock n' roll. I'm not like anyone else, I'm just me. I have a different mentality and different tastes in music than people would expect, and I can be as gross as a dude... I've always been like a closet goth chick, in a way. I did the things in high school like streak my hair with punk red, dye it completely smurf blue, and then black... anything that was different from the rest. In a small county where I live, it wasn't typical for people to do that though for the rest of society, it's not very shocking or anything now, cause so many kids have done it. Nowadays I favor my hair the natural blonde shade that it is, and I'll rock the color pink every once in awhile, but I still think in an alternative sort of way, always will. And I love when I see those brave kids all decked out in goth gear. It's nothing I ever did, but I find it so unique.

I guess I was correct about what an alternachick was.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #5  
Rah Rah Red Team!

S/C/G: 188/181/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc View Post
Just my two cents: I thought it was just a great term for those of us who just don't feel like we "fit in" with the "norm".
[...] I grew up, but my tastes didn't.
I was hoping for just this!! I tend to be perpetually in between the 'cliques', so I am super happy this board is here! <3

Yay!
LakeEffectKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #6  
trishpix

S/C/G: 132/151/130

Height: 5'2"

wow...this is pretty cool! I am 44, single mom, sing in a band, play guitar and would love to have a nose ring if I didn't think my son (15) would die of embarrassment.

I have always had a difficult time fitting in...I often "fake it" with women I meet because they rarely get me. I am often bored by their conversations (not that I think I am more interesting...just different)

I am finally realizing that I am different, and that's alright. I am an graphic artist, and most of my friends are guys...it makes me a little lonely not to have many gal pals.

so...good to know you're out there.
trishpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

yep..i agree..we are in-betweeny, nonconformist, individualist, unique, rockin', effin' smart, creative, "different", funny, and the list goes on and on and on............
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #8  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

"Alternachicks" definitely come in all shapes and colors!

I've shopped at Hot Topic and enjoyed a night at The Church (our local goth club), but I wouldn't consider myself goth. I have the Rocky Horror Picture Show completely memorized, but you would too after seeing it around 30 times. My spirituality is based on my observations of nature and understanding of science, but I don't consider myself a Pagan. I love computers and RPGs, but don't speak "geek" quite like I used to.

I'm into 70's folk and rock, 80's new wave, 90's alternative... I admire the punked out look but don't have the guts to try it. (It would be a real Career Limiting Move in my case.)

Thanks for starting this thread, Melanie!

Tera
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 194/190/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm an alternachick on the inside, but on the outside I look soccer-momish. Well, most of the time. When the baby isn't in the car and me and DBF are blasting the Korn and Tool it's a little more obvious. I started listening to Tool before they ever became really popular.

I'm a video game fanatic and have been for a long time, way before it was cool for girls to be into them. I've gotten some weird looks from people even now. Depends on where the game store is. I used to read Anne Rice religiously, but since the Life of Christ books came out I've stayed away. That's a little too weird for me. Anita Blake is my hero. I love cartoons, especially comic book related ones. My favorite right now would have to be Avatar: The Last Airbender. I love anime as well. Trying to get the boyfriend to watch Blood+ with me, but we need to find somewhere that has the first DVD. I'm not a Christian nor do I want to be. I'm not really anything other than me. I would probably describe myself as pagan.
Stephanie Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 194/190/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilit tera View Post
...I love computers and RPGs, but don't speak "geek" quite like I used to...
Haha, RPGs. I'm going to cry.

I traded in to Gamestop a crap ton of them last night including most of the Shin Megami Tensei PS2 games. The darkest, most interesting RPGs I've ever played.
Stephanie Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #11  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I'm a bit of a hippy fanatic, I went through the goth stage growing up, the majority of people think I'm a bit of a fruitcake (fine by me) I'm covered in piercings and I like to stand up for what I believe in and do as I please.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

What does it mean to be an Alternachick?:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124748

That was posted a long time ago... and I still like reading through it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Melanie-

I don't equate Alternachick with being solely gothic, or punk. Alternative tends to mean anything that isn't the norm...so most of us here have alternative interests.

Musically-that might mean everything from death metal, to 80's New Wave, to independent music (and indie music can be anything from a soft spoken folk singer to the hardest music you have ever heard of!).

I personally don't shop at Hot Topic TOO much, because it has sorta become the Wal-Mart of goth high school kids. It's hard to make a statement wearing a black hoodie that 10 people in your high school class have, too.

I am:

~A belly dance performer/instructor by profession.

~I am into sci-fi and fantasy films heavily.

~I moonlight making costumes on the side, specializing in movie replicas.

~A member of the 501st Division ( http://www.501st.com )

~MARRIED to a member of the 501st.

~I have my nose pierced, and 4 tattoos

~I listen to mainly 80's music, Middle Eastern music, and a touch of folk singer thrown in for good measure-Bob Dylan, Ani Difranco, etc.

~My clothing style is a dash of Middle Eastern, a pinch of black, a cup full of hippie, and a smidgen of bohemian. When I am dressed for comfort-I am usually wearing t-shirts portray my geekdome. I am currently wearing a black t-shirt with the Lambda Lambda Lambda logo on it, for instance. My husband is often seen in his "+20 shirt of smiting" t-shirt.

~I take pride in being intelligent, and I am always researching, reading, and learning new things.

~I am not Christian, but follow Pagan and Native American belief systems. ( I am of Celtic blood, and married to a Native American.)

~My husband and I HATE to go to bars and clubs. We would much rather have a beer or glass of wine at home, and play Star Wars Trivial Pursuit or watch our geeky box set dvds. (X-Files, Northern Exposure, etc.)
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

I agree with a lot of what Aphil stated.

I am no where near being a goth. hehe In fact if you saw me on the street I'd look like just another 30 year old woman.

However, many of my views and beliefs do not fit in with the mainstream. The main two being that I'm a pantheist and also that my husband and I are child free by choice (something that the general public just can't seem to accept - "Oh honey you'll change your mind", ummm nope).

My husband and I are both pretty private people as well. We are not into crowds or big social gatherings. If we had it our way we would hermit away in the mountains somewhere.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I, too, agree with a lot of what others have said...I consider myself an Alternachick because I never did quite seem to find a comfortable spot within "mainstream society."

All of my tastes are quite eclectic, and don't really follow too many patterns even within themselves.

I've had my eyebrow pierced (took it out 'cause it was rejecting ), I have a couple tattoos, and I've probably dyed my hair every color you could imagine; not to make any kind of statement to society or rebel against my parents....just because I felt more "me" because of it.

I don't really fit into one category more than another, I just kind of float from group to group. I love video games, Halo being a favorite...never really got into RPGs but have a TON of friends who love them. Same with anime and sci-fi/fantasy...I enjoy them once in a while, but I'd never join my homies at Sakuracon. I use words like "homies."

I'm not goth, but I've always been drawn toward the darker side of things. Zombies make me happy, and my favorite pajamas have skulls on them. I consider myself blessed to have been born with dark, dark hair and fair, fair skin-goes great with my black eyeliner and bright red lipstick I'll dress in anything from pink plaid with zippers to a classy 50's-esque coctail dress to a sweater-vest with 70's polyester underneath to jeans and a Tshirt.

My iPod contains items such as the following: System of a Down, Frank Sinatra, Flogging Molly, Beck, Count Basie, Tchaikovski, Beastie Boys, Lorena McKennit, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Muse.....yeah. Pretty sure I'm an Alternachick
x meowkat x is offline   Reply With Quote