Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Pumpkin Pound Cake with Buttermilk Glaze

The photo for this cake is literally making me drool...and I think it might be a great recipe to use for SF glazes! I haven't made this yet, but plan to make it this weekend; I'll post how it turns out.

(doesn't that make you drool? )

Quote:
Pumpkin Pound Cake with Buttermilk Glaze
From Cooking Light

Drain the canned pumpkin before making the cake batter to keep the cake's texture light.

Cake:
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour [use WW pastry/ White WW flour]
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
3/4 cup granulated sugar [I'd use a mix of Splenda, Erithrytol, and Stevia]
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar [1/2 the mix above, 1/2 SF maple syrup]
1/2 cup butter, softened [I'll use the new Smart Balance 50/50 butter blend]
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour (about 13 1/2 ounces) [use WW pastry/ White WW flour]
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk

Glaze:
1/3 cup fat-free buttermilk
1/4 cup granulated sugar [I'd use a mix of Splenda, Erithrytol, and Stevia]
2 tablespoons butter [I'll use the new Smart Balance 50/50 butter blend]
2 teaspoons cornstarch [should be small enough amount for P2, but you could substitute arrowroot]
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare the cake, lightly coat a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour. Spread pumpkin over 2 layers of paper towels; cover with 2 additional layers of paper towels. Let stand about 10 minutes. Scrape drained pumpkin into a bowl.

Place 3/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla. Lightly spoon 3 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture and 3/4 cup buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare glaze, combine 1/3 cup buttermilk and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Drizzle cake with glaze.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

CALORIES 273 (29% from fat); FAT 8.7g (sat 5g,mono 2.4g,poly 0.5g); IRON 2mg; CHOLESTEROL 72mg; CALCIUM 66mg; CARBOHYDRATE 44.6g; SODIUM 243mg; PROTEIN 5g; FIBER 1.4g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2006

Last edited by beachgal; 10-16-2008 at 11:16 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I don't care if this is from Cooking Light...it's going to make my butt fat.

It looks awesome, Laurie. I have so many things I want to bake this fall!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #3  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

If I change the pumpkin out for sweet potatoe do you think this will taste good or the same? I have to find out the calories on this one. This looks good.

Last edited by SBD Sass; 10-16-2008 at 11:24 AM.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Zeff, I doubt it will head directly for your butt. It looks good enough to do that, though, doesn't it? Have you ever seen that add with the girl with two cinnamon rolls stuck to her butt? I can so relate to that.

Calories are listed, SBD Sass--273 per serving if you make it the way they did. I think our way might be less because the sugar adds calories. You could run it through fitday if you want. I think using sweet potatoes would be good too, though it might change the consistency as I think they are a little drier.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Laurie - I might as well have two pound cakes taped to my butt.

The calorie counts would be much lower in the SBD way of making it. There are approx. 770 calories in a cup of sugar and using a alternative butter would bring it down even further.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Chickies, I made this last week, and I was awfully disappointed. Oh well...

Some things I learned--you should add the cornstarch (or arrowroot) to a small amount of liquid and stir with a fork until totally combined before adding to the glaze. If you do it the way the recipe says, you end up with lumps.

Unfortunately, I put this in the oven without enough time to let it bake fully. After 50 mins I had to leave for an appt, so I just turned the oven off and left the light on with the cake inside until I got home. I'm not sure how much this affected it. It was definitely done when I got home, but maybe it made it too dry or too dense? Need to plan my time better next time! The cake had a great flavor of pumpkin pie, but the consistency was off. Maybe I need to add some more buttermilk to offset the WW flour?

This really was good, just not as fantastic as it was in my mind. You know? But it was definitely worth trying again. I'll let you know when I do.

Zeff, I'm still giggling about the thought of us walking around with pound cakes stuck to our nether cheeks.