Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Pumpkin - I need recipes people!

Ok I'm helplessly addicted to pumpkin. I've been using pumpkin puree for my morning hot cereal but I plan to buy a couple real pumpkins and cook them. Other than roasting, what ideas do we got?

I don't want to puree them, but rather leave them kind of chunky. My favorite vegan restaurant has this pumpkin 'chicken' that is so awesome but not sure exactly how to replicate it.

1) I can modify recipes to make them vegan but would avoid recipes that are too 'animaly'.

2) Can also be any other winter squash type recipe but i'm looking at pumpkins specifically.

Oh and to start, there is this recipe that I am going to try ASAP
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/10...casserole.html
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Nelie, I'll be checking back to read all the suggestions, as I'm totally addicted to pumpkin, too!

I make a yummy butternut squash lasagna that you could substitute with pumpkin. You can find the my recipe posted in the SBD Phase 2 Entrees if you're interested.

I'm eager to see what recipes our other chickies have!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #3  

One of my favorite recipes with Pumpkin - making it this weekend as a matter of fact. Leenie has had this before as well and she loves it too. You could easily use chunky pumpkin in this rather than a puree

Pumpkin Chili Mexicana

2 tablespoons vegetable oil - I used olive oil and maybe a little less
1/2 cup chopped onion - I used a whole onion
1 cup chopped red bell peppers - I left this out
1 clove garlic - I went heavy on this
1 pound ground turkey - I used ground turkey breast
2 (14.5 ounce) cans canned peeled and diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 (15 ounce) can canned tomato sauce
1 (15.25 ounce) can canned kidney beans, drained - I used pinquitos
1 (4 ounce) can ORTEGA® Diced Green Chiles
1/2 cup whole kernel corn - I used frozen corn
1 tablespoon chili powder - I went heavy on this
1 teaspoon ground cumin - I went heavy on this too
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

*Linda addition - Added some chopped fresh spinach during last 5 minutes of cooking*

HEAT vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add turkey; cook until browned. Drain.
ADD tomatoes with juice, pumpkin, tomato sauce, beans, chiles, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.

Changes for next time: Cut back on turkey and add some cooked bulgur or quinoa. Try different beans, black, white, etc. I plan on making this again after thanksgiving using up diced leftover turkey breast
Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #4  
Just Me

I do a recipe like that every so often (pumpkin chili). I never thought about using chunky pumpkin pieces in it though. I may have to do that.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Pumpkin and Curry are two flavors that pair EXTREMELY well (when I make my roasted pumpkin soup, curry always plays a big part in the seasonings).

Here's a thai pumpkin vegetable curry:
http://thaifood.about.com/od/vegetar...mpkincurry.htm

And a Jamaican pumpkin curry:
http://triticale.mu.nu/archives/201433.php
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

That pumpkin chili sounds good. I'll have to add it to my menu next week.
I love this time of year, i love all things pumpkin. Last year i kind of went overboard,Pumpkin pancakes, muffins, pie, coffee, waffles , etc. so i'm trying not to this year. I can't wait to hear more recipes!
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

This isn't vegan because of the yogurt, but I'm wondering if you could make it with silken tofu instead. I pulled this recipe of off one of the food blogs I read regularly and made it last night for dessert. It's sooooo simple and sooooo yummy.

2 cup of Fage (or other Greek style) yogurt (I used plain, you could use vanilla flavored)
1 can (15 oz) of pureed pumpkin
1/4 cup superfine cane sugar (or other sweetener of choice - to taste)
1 t vanilla
spices of choice (I used cinnamon, ginger, allspice)

Mix it all together thoroughly and set in the freezer until firmed up (I might try putting this in my ice cream maker at some point).

Makes ~8 pretty large servings at about 80 cals per serving.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-28-2008 at 12:24 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
This isn't vegan because of the yogurt, but I'm wondering if you could make it with silken tofu instead. I pulled this recipe of off one of the food blogs I read regularly and made it last night for dessert. It's sooooo simple and sooooo yummy.

2 cup of Fage (or other Greek style) yogurt (I used plain, you could use vanilla flavored)
1 can (15 oz) of pureed pumpkin
1/4 cup superfine cane sugar (or other sweetener of choice - to taste)
1 t vanilla
spices of choice (I used cinnamon, ginger, allspice)

Mix it all together thoroughly and set in the freezer until firmed up (I might try putting this in my ice cream maker at some point).

Makes ~8 pretty large servings at about 80 cals per serving.

I've done this before, not with a recipe, just thinking it would be good. It was OK, but I think I was trying too hard to avoid sugar. It does need some. I just did one serving. Nice way to add a little protein at the end of the day if you need it.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Oh yeah, it def needs sweetener of some kind. I'm trying to avoid artificial sweeteners as much as possible, but I might try it with some Splenda at some point. I could use much less to get the same or more sweetness.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

For weekday breakfast these days, I'm having Thick & Rough oatmeal. I make 5 servings on the stove on Sunday, and put a can of pumpkin in it while cooking. I add pumpkin pie spices and the zest of one orange (this is soooo good) and a pinch of salt. I have been adding 1T of molasses (for the whole pot), but that is actually a little too sweet, so next week I will try 1/2T, but I like it practically unsweetened. Then, in the morning, I heat it up with 1/4c soy milk, then stir in 2T ground flaxseed. A whole can is actually a little too much, and sometimes I only use part of the can and use the rest in something like that yogurt recipe. But sometimes I use the whole can just to use it up.

I tried this with a multigrain hot cereal, but that took more sugar to work than I wanted to add. I guess the oatmeal is more naturally sweet.

I love managing to have veggies for breakfast

Last edited by JulieJ08; 10-28-2008 at 01:28 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #11  
Just Me

Julie,

I've been doing something similar with "Bob's Red Mill High fiber cereal". I actually just mix the pumpkin puree, cereal, cinnamon, and unsweetened nondairy milk together in a microwave safe bowl and then microwave it.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #12  
Just Me

Julie,

I've been doing something similar with "Bob's Red Mill High fiber cereal". I actually just mix the pumpkin puree, cereal, cinnamon, and unsweetened nondairy milk together in a microwave safe bowl and then microwave it.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #13  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You might be able to sub all pumpkin for the yogurt, and it would probably be fine. Not sure what you would sub for eggs to make it vegan.

These are nummy!

Pumpkin Cranberry Oat Bars

Ingredients:
28 grams of protein powder
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 cup lowfat yogurt (any kind but fruit - I happened to have vanilla on hand)
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 cups of rolled oats
40 grams of Craisins (or dried cranberries).

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper. This will really make it easier to get these out, trust me.

In a bowl, mix together the protein powder, pumpkin, eggs, yogurt, spices, brown sugar with a mixer. You want to make sure the protein powder is really well incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Chop the Craisins smaller and add to the mix. Then stir in the oats.
Press the mixture evenly into the 9x9 pan and bake for 35 minutes. These won't really get brown, they will just firm up - so don't over bake. Remove from the pan right away and cut into 9 squares. It's much easier to cut these when warm.
Store in the fridge.

Stats with my ingredients:
Per bar: 157 calories, 3 grams fat, 27 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 8 grams protein, 54 grams sodium.

Last edited by fiberlover; 10-28-2008 at 07:25 PM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #14  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Curried Pumpkin Soup Recipe

2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 med onion, peeled and quartered
1 lg. jalapeno pepper, seeded and -coarsely chopped
2 Stalks celery, cut into -2-inch lengths
3 lg. Carrots, peeled and sliced -1/4 inch thick
2 tbsp. Olive oil
1 3/4 lb. pumpkin, peeled, -seeded, and cut -into 1-inch dice
3 c Low-salt vegetable stock
1 Bay leaf
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. Turmeric
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper
1/4 c shelled raw pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp. sour cream (optional)

Place garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add onion and pulse until finely chopped. Set aside. Place jalapeno in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add celery and pulse until finely chopped. Set aside. Place carrots in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.

Heat 1 tbsp. of the olive oil in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add jalapeno, celery, and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the pumpkin, stock, bay leaf, curry, turmeric, cayenne, 1 tsp. of the salt, and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan, heat remaining tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add pumpkin seeds and remaining 1/2 t salt and cook for about 30 seconds, shaking pan constantly to prevent burning, until all the seeds have popped. Remove from heat and add parsley.

Place 2 cups of the cooked vegetables and about 1/2 cups of the liquid in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. Stir puree back into the soup. Adjust seasonings, and stir in the sour cream, if desired. Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote