Old 10-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/251/165

Height: 5'7"

Talking Just started Induction yesterday

Hi all,

I am so glad to have found this forum! So many questions have already been answered for me. I just started the induction phase yesterday, and so far things are going well. I was really expecting to struggle with having so few carbs yesterday, but it was actually pretty decent. Today is going pretty well, but I do have a headache and am fatigued.

I have never really done Atkins before, so this is a learning experience. In the past, I had read the book and tried it for a couple of days, but never really invested in it.

I am trying to work on losing weight for multiple reasons: 1) For my future and present health, 2) to have more energy, and to be more active with my 5 year old son, 3) to help incorporate some better eating habits for my family, 4) and I am getting married next year! While I would like to have lost weight for my wedding day, my long term goals are so much more important to me.

Right now I am at 251 lbs and my goal weight is 165 lbs (86 lbs). I haven't really set a "target date" because I know everyone's weight loss journey is different, so when it comes, then it comes! LOL.

I look forward to getting to know all of you better as time goes on. Onward and upward!
MOChella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #2  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I just started induction yesterday too. Does your headache have anything to do with caffeine withdrawal? I ended up taking an Execerdin Migraine, which has caffeine, and my headache cleared right up. Probably not the best plan, but I've got to get the project out the door, and that wasn't going to happen with a headache.

Edit: Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Last edited by dixied; 10-21-2008 at 02:21 PM.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Dixied & MOChella!!!

You've come to a great place for support, advice & encouragement! Feel free to ask lots of questions

All the best to the both of you!!!

You CAN do this!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 251/251/165

Height: 5'7"

I think my headache probably is due to caffeine withdrawal. I honestly don't drink coffee, but I do have soda. It is manageable right now though, so it could be worse!

Thanks for the congrats on the wedding... Still trying to plan lots of things, it is the first for both of us so we have no clue what we are doing!

Oh, and JerseyGirl... I have to tell you I am a HARDCORE Steelers fan! My son is actually named after a previous player.
MOChella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

It's been a long time since I read the Atkins book -- although WAY in the past, I had great success with it -- but I don't recall having to give up coffee. Is this part of it??
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #6  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

My cheat sheet says:

Not allowed:
Coffee substitutes made from grains
Alcoholic beverages
Caffeinated cola drinks
Fruit or vegetable juices

I made a binder with the information I gathered, including menus and recipes to make it easier for the first two weeks. What's going to save me is planning ahead. I did all the shopping this weekend before we started, and I cooked and froze all of our breakfasts for two weeks. I just can't get up early enough to both work-out and cook. And if I have a choice it's the cooking that's being sacrificed.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #7  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

Hi OK Lizzy,

As I recall, caffeine is known to cause insulin spikes and sugar cravings in a lot of people, so it's recommended that you cut it out. Hope this helps!
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOChella View Post
Oh, and JerseyGirl... I have to tell you I am a HARDCORE Steelers fan! My son is actually named after a previous player.
GO STEELERS!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 365/345/half-marathon

Height: 5'5"

From the Atkins website - Induction section...

Beverages

Clear broth/ bouillon (make sure there are no sugars added)
Club soda
Cream – heavy or light, be sure to note the carb count
Decaffeinated or regular coffee and tea*
Diet soda - be sure to note the carbs

Flavored Seltzer (must say no calories)
Herb tea (no barley or fruit sugar added)
Water – at least 8 eight ounce glasses per day including...
Filtered water
Mineral water
Spring water
Tap water
* One to two cups of caffeinated tea or coffee is allowed as desired and tolerated by each individual. If you experience symptoms of hypoglycemia or cravings as a result, do not use caffeine. If you have a true caffeine addiction, it is best to break that habit during the induction phase.
Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Unfortunately, I put absolutely no stock in the Atkins website. Since Dr. Atkins death & Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. taking over, its all about profit & pushing those "appropriate for Induction" Atkins bars I stick to Mrs. Atkins website for accurate Atkins information...I trust her more than some company using the good Dr's name to make money.

http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/lifestyle.htm

The following beverages are acceptable but should be consumed in addition to the recommended 64 ounces of water:
Decaffeinated coffee
Diet soda made with one of the acceptable artificial sweeteners (no more than 3 cans per day)
Essence-flavored seltzer (must say no calories)
Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar, or fructose, added)
Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
Club soda

Not allowed:
Coffee substitutes made from grains
Alcoholic beverages
Caffeinated cola drinks
Fruit or vegetable juices