Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #1  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Halloween and the Holidays for a child that's allergic to everything? :(

My son is currently on an elimination diet to narrow down his food allergies. This is the first holiday season things will be like this. He's 4 and I feel for the little guy . I figure nobody knows more about food than the ladies at 3fc! Please help me find some food choices to make the holidays more "normal" for him. This has been quite a struggle and I don't want him to feel left out while our families all get together etc... Not to mention Halloween... poor thing.

Things he can't have: (just about everything )
Milk
Eggs
Wheat
Casein (cheese etc)
Soy
Celery
Fish
Corn (including corn syrup, starch etc)
Potatoes
Apples
Grapes
Beef
Lettuce
Malt
Cantaloupe
Avocado
Oranges

ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

As for potatoes, does that include sweet potatoes? And you don't say it, but you include wheat, is he also on a gluten-free diet?

One of my most favorite things is butternut squash and you can make mashed 'potatoes' with butternut squash or sweet potatoes. You can make it on the sweet side by adding a bit of cinnamon and maple syrup. You can use things like rice milk, almond milk or similar if he is allowed to make them a bit creamy. You could also try mashed cauliflower which is pretty good as well.

I would suggest looking at stores like Whole Foods for gluten free items. They tend to have tons of sweets/treats that are gluten free including boxed items. For the boxed items, they may say 'add eggs and milk' but don't fret, that is easy to avoid as there are good substitutes. Another plus is that stuff tends not to have corn products in them. Other things I can think of include coconut milk yogurt/ice cream.

One thing I'd also recommend is checking out a vegan cookbook from the library. You'd be amazed at how many things you can make without milk/eggs. Wheat (gluten) free diets can be tough but they are doable.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

Yes... he's on a gluten free diet as well.

I'm having trouble finding sweet treats that are vegan, gluten free AND don't have either soy, corn, or potato starch .

He's eating a lot of rice and oat products right now.

Last edited by ValRock; 10-27-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

If he can have fruit, why not a fruit crumble with an oatmeal crust instead of a flour based one? I'm thinking maybe a cherry/cranberry cobbler with an oat crust? You didn't mention whether or not he was avoiding sugar, but you could use beet sugar for sweetening, or if he can have it, use cane based white and brown sugar. Play it up as a big treat - he gets his VERY OWN cherry pie.

Another dessert option might be a rice pudding? Made with cooked rice and either rice-milk or almond-milk? Add in some sweetener and maybe some raisins? Or nuts. Cinnamon and ginger.

I also second the mashed cauliflower for a potato substitute. Or mashed sweet potatoes if he can have them.

I think the nice thing about him being 4 is that it won't be too hard to convince him that what he's getting are *special treats* instead of making him feel alienated from everyone else. It would be harder, I think, with an older child who would be more acutely aware of not being able to eat like everyone else.

Good luck with it - and if i think of anything else or come across any recipes, I'll link them!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #5  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

My friend's son has these issues. She makes him really good chocolate rice cake treats.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Careful with oats and cross contamination with gluten products. I feel for you girl, I've been there/done that for my oldest son...though he can eat corn/products and eggs and most meat. I can't imagine having to cook without eggs, corn or potatoes. I'm certainly no expert, but I'm wondering if you might have to let him go against your vegan lifestyle so that he can get necessary nutrition? Without protein from meat or soy, eggs (or cheese) I don't see how he can get adequate amounts of protein.

I'll look through some of my cookbooks. The gluten free pantry has several mixes and pre-made treats that might work. Have you checked into any web sites? There is an awesome website for gluten free / casein free kids that has tons of ideas and support. It's kind of geared toward autistic children, but there are plenty ideas regardless of the child diagnosis.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

I'm not vegan... DS is allergic to eggs and has at least a sensitivity to dairy and soy. We're trying to figure out which things he can eat without having a dangerous reaction. The last time he had eggs his whole face puffed up. It was a scary situation.

He eats chicken, pork, and nuts for protein and fats.

We usually avoid sugar but considering the circumstances I'm being a bit more lax on that one. A fruit tart with an oat crust sounds like a great idea! He loves blueberries and can have those! Keep those ideas coming!

The problem with most gluten free mixes is that they contain potato starch or soy (from what I've been able to find) and we cannot have that as of now.

I found some good chocolate flavored puffed brown rice cereal that he's a huge fan of. I wonder if there's a marshmellow substitute that would work for rice crispy treats?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #8  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Careful with oats and cross contamination with gluten products. I feel for you girl, I've been there/done that for my oldest son...though he can eat corn/products and eggs and most meat. I can't imagine having to cook without eggs, corn or potatoes. I'm certainly no expert, but I'm wondering if you might have to let him go against your vegan lifestyle so that he can get necessary nutrition? Without protein from meat or soy, eggs (or cheese) I don't see how he can get adequate amounts of protein.

I'll look through some of my cookbooks. The gluten free pantry has several mixes and pre-made treats that might work. Have you checked into any web sites? There is an awesome website for gluten free / casein free kids that has tons of ideas and support. It's kind of geared toward autistic children, but there are plenty ideas regardless of the child diagnosis.
I recommended looking at a vegan cookbook to deal with the no dairy/eggs thing. Honestly, you can get plenty of protein without soy, eggs or dairy. Many vegans do it every day. The gluten free thing is hard and there are gluten sensitive vegans. You can also look at a gluten free cookbook.

I recommend Veganomicon. I believe it notes which recipes are gluten free or not but I'd have to double check. It also has tons of recipes, from appetizers to sweets.

I'd also be careful of oatmeal. I hard many people following a gluten free diet avoid oatmeal. Not sure the exact reason.

Last edited by nelie; 10-27-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #9  
Just Me

Here are some fun things to try:
Halloween hummus
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/10...an-hummus.html

Halloween Sushi
http://kitteekake.blogspot.com/2008/...e-roundup.html

Rosewater Coconut rice pudding with blueberry glaze
http://downhomevegan.blogspot.com/20...not-sushi.html

Roasted veggies (second recipe)
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/11...nksgiving.html

Chickpea crackers
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/10...-crackers.html

Sweet potato casserole with pecan topping (you'd need to modify recipe slightly but I think its an overall good idea)
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12...ith-pecan.html
Old 10-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #10  
Just Me

Ok and a couple more recipes...

These are raw ginger cookies, very basic recipe. Raw cookies are very easy, just dates/nuts and then whatever.
http://glutenfreevegan.wordpress.com...nger-biscuits/

Vegan/gluten free pumpkin pie
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...worthy-of.html
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #11  
Just Me

And this will be my last one but I also tried to find rice krispy treats but most of them call for corn syrup. I found one that doesn't but it does use peanut butter.

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis...ts-recipe.html
Old 10-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

I'm one of those allergic to EVERYTHING kids. I found out I was allergic to milk when I was about 10 years old. Considering my mom was raised on a farm...and my dad, bro, and sis weren't allergic to it... I never really eliminated it. I remember mom bringing home rice milk and making me drink that... I haven't tried it since, but I remember that stuff being disgusting (then again...I was 10 and way less open to food possiblities). Basically I never drink milk or eat ice cream, but would eat cheese and yogurt and chocolate...haha. Then I would get hives, and really bad tummy aches. I swear since I was a little kid I've just been a walking hive.

I also get kidney stones a lot...so I met with a kidney doc and he told me I couldn't have spinach, soy, chocolate or any foods high in oxalate or calcium. When you add my dairy allergy...I seriously can not eat much. It sucks.

Now though my doctor has been having lots of tests done for me. My face had this really bad, blistery reaction this summer. She did a patch test and found out I'm allergic to 3 main preservatives found in most cosmetics/household supplies... I even have to change my contact solution and toothpaste! She has me getting extensive food allergy testing next week. I'm nervous my list is going to be as long as your sons ...

do you have a health store...like a co-op or veg*n friendly store nearby? I've learned that the employees that work there are a wealth of information. They've helped me quite a bit! Actually...making an appointment with a dietitian or nutritionist would be a good thing for your son. I bet you can even get a referral to help with the insurance costs.

Have you tried cous cous? That's a pretty versatile food...I do a lot with that.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #13  

Couscous is wheat unfortunately
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Is he allowed to use honey as a sweetener, or agave nectar?
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #15  
99 lbs. Gone!

Can he have almonds? If so, there's a product called Almond Breeze (almond milk) that can be substituted for milk in recipes. It comes sweetened and unsweetened. I find the unsweetened version at Whole Foods. They have vanilla, chocolate and regular flavors. I don't care for the regular (almond) flavor.
ToutDeSuite is offline   Reply With Quote