Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #1  

Default personal question

This is something that I've noticed while eating low-carb...but have been embarassed to ask anyone about. Has anyone ever noticed that they sweat more while doing Atkins? I had to go buy "clinical strength" deoderant and it still doesn't seem to be doing the trick. It's very embarassing. For my job, I'm on my feet constantly and move around quite a bit...but I also need to look professional and I don't want pit stains. One morning I showered and exactly 45 minutes later I was already sweating under my arms. Not what I wanted. I also notice a distinct odor with it...not a usual body odor scent. Does that make sense? That is also very embarassing. I've often wondered if it had anything to do with my body releasing ketones. It's a small price to pay in order to feel better and keep my weight down, I suppose, but still very embarassing and unpleasant.
SMiller96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #2  

No i haven't noticed but probably because I prespire freely anyway. I hate sweating so much it's a total annoyance in my life but I haven't noticed a change in scent either. Interesting that you have. (You can buy underarm pads that will protect your clothing.)
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #3  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timlin View Post
(You can buy underarm pads that will protect your clothing.)
Where? How much? How do they work? Can you use them more than once?
I suffer from hyperhidrosis-- excessive sweating- in my armpits. I've tried every clinical strength deodorant, i've even tried the prescription dry sol-- nothing worked... I get out of the shower and i'm sweating already! Since I started my diet (WW- not on atkins) I have noticed a different smell to my sweat and I also noticed that I get body odor-- in my armpits... I never use to get body odor- my deodorant always kept me smelling fresh until I started dieting. Now I reapply my deodorant at least 3 times a day...it's super annoying and I go through a lot of deodorant.
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Are you in Ketosis ? Are you using Ketone testing strips ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #5  
Chef of Doom

S/C/G: 250/226/180

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by net knee View Post
Where? How much? How do they work? Can you use them more than once?
They are called dress shields, you can find them online or in dress shops. I think I saw them at target once. Some are disposable and some are washable. They also come in different strengths kind of like a menstrual pad, so if you sweat heavily you want to find the high density kind.

If you search for them in google product a lot of things come up
http://www.google.com/products?btnG=...=dress+shields
Silvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #6  

I am not using the ketosis strips, but I know that I am in ketosis when I have the all too familiar taste in my mouth, have more energy, am thirsty and have my appetite under control. So I'm pretty certain I am. I've done Atkins off and on ( hopefully I'm staying on this time!!!!!) for the last three years and I've never used the strips. I've always wanted to, but figured they might be a waste of money. I can usually go by how my body feels. But this sweating problem is definately a new "symptom" and I'm not certain if it's because of low carb or perhaps something else that needs to be addressed.
SMiller96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #7  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

I had a friend who went on atkins who had this same problem. I don't eat meat, except for chicken and sometimes turkey.. But this is like a once a month splurge...
I noticed that she had a very distinct "red meat" smell about her, and it got MUCH stronger when she would sweat.

I don't know that this is a normal symptom, or not-- But I just wanted to let you know you're not alone!
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #8  

Silvana thank you for coming in to answer the question......I was out of town and didn't get back to check again. I've never used them but they look interesting........worth a shot.
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #9  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I think it bears noting that plain panty liners work pretty well as dress shields, and may be cheaper.

Don't ask how I know that. :-D
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 394/See Wt Tracker!/180

Height: 5"10

Read the Atkins FAQ... it addresses perspiring... someone even contacted Atkins for a response!...

- Elliott
BldBlue1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9"

I have always been a rather sweaty person, and I found that Dove deodorant seems to work better for me than anything else, even the prescription stuff (I thinks its the moisturizer)
AngelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...6&postcount=11

Try this
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 394/See Wt Tracker!/180

Height: 5"10

Thanks Leenie...that was the post I was talking about. I notice that when I don't drink enough water for me (120-150 oz a day), I have more intensive Urine and sweat smell...sorry, not trying to be gross but keeping water intake up reduces and or elmimiates the problem...

Best of Luck,
- Elliott
BldBlue1966 is offline   Reply With Quote