Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #1  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

Unhappy Man, do I need some good energy *rant*

So it's been almost a week that I've been trying to pull myself out of a funk.
Last Friday my partner was laid off from work, leaving me the only breadwinner for a household of 3. My income wouldn't cover the mortgage even if I didn't have other financial responsibilities, which I do have and can't suspend.
Our income has dropped by 2/3. And it will drop more because I will be paying for his health insurance as well, so I'll bring home even less each month.
Unemployment hasn't been much help-in addition to not getting it yet, they are telling him that his amount is less than what I am making (and keep in mind he made double plus what I make.) Basically he'll be getting every month what he used to make (gross) in a week.
He's applying everywhere and I'm looking for anything (a better paying job, a second job) to boost our finances, but I just feel so scared and stressed. And I feel terrible asking people for energy/good thoughts because we lost our "cushy" status (despite that we didn't really have that much to spare.)
It's also totally quashed my ability to focus on losing weight, all I want to do is eat away my anxiety and my energy is in the dumps because I'm not sleeping so it's such a struggle to exercise.

Part of me wants to be positive (so not my nature) and part of me just wants to have a pity party (partly this rant.)
I'm really trying to think that everything will be okay and that he'll find work before our finances get critical, but I don't really have experience with having things turn out okay. I want to curl up and cry all the time.

Ugh. I feel pathetic too, posting this, but I need to get it out of me so I can get past all my jumble of feelings.

Thanks for reading.
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6.5

Owlmonkey - That sure is a lot for you to deal with. Was watching fox news this morning and something like over half of the states are now in an official recession. Scary. Hopefully your DH can find something soon!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Oh, I'm sorry, that's tough stuff. Just remember that you'll get through it better (and sleep better!) with a healthy body and mind.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #4  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I don't have an advice because I can't even fathom that kind of situation but I am sending you prosperity vibes for sure. Just remember when you feel like you want to overeat, that food costs money too, and would you rather a few extra bucks to save for the mortgage or a few extra pounds to stress you out more? I hope things turn around for you.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #5  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

just posting to say that i hope things turn out okay for you guys and i was thinking about you and sending positive vibes. i read your post when you originally posted it and forgot to respond to it.

on the finances part- you might talk to some of your creditors to see if they can skip a payment for you or if they have anything they can do to help. it's so much easier and better to talk to them right away then to wait until you're past due & can't pay. I work with people who are struggling every day- sometimes it amazes me but even people who make $15K a month can still be overextended and not be able to make ends meet. This time in our lives it seems like it can happen to anyone without any notice.

Take care- let us know how things go...
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

That's a tough spot to be in and I totally sympathize - my DH and I have been through that a few times over the years.

I am sending you and your partner positive energy I hope something good turns up for you soon!
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Good energy going your way! I'm so sorry you're going through a rough patch. Good luck to your family
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #8  

Owlmonkey,
I am so sorry. I could have written that very post. My family is in a similiar situation. My husband was laid off and his last severence check will be in two weeks. His unemployment is 1/4 what he was bringing home. I know how depression can weigh a person down. I just wanted to comfort eat when I found out. I haven't lost a pound since he was laid off.

I am still working, but as I am adjunct faculty at a college I do not get health benefits. My worry is that our two daughters will be without health care. I am diabetic and my husband is hypertensive so medical is going to have to be a bill we will have to add somehow.

Go ahead and rant, you deserve it! Applying at every company in this half of the state has gotten zero responses other than "we have received your resume" from my husband's search, so I know how frustrating it can be.

I wish I had advice to give. I have found that handling the bills while he is not earning helps him not feel so guilty. Men's egos bruise so easy. He overheard a conversation I had about taking on extra courses if possible and now he feels guilty that he isn't working yet. Just be there for your partner.

If you allow it, I will add your name to my prayer bowl on my altar.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Sorry I didn't have time to check on anything the last time I was on, so i missed this!

My prayers are with you! And everyone else having a hard time making ends meet. I know what its like when there doesn't seem to be an end to the bills and not enough cash to cover. I remind myself when that happens that as long as I am making an effort to change the situation, the situation eventually changes!

Be frugal and good luck!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote