Old 10-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 162/162/135

Height: 5'6

Default Sneaky hidden calories - thoughts?

Does anyone find that the meals that they plan to eat are all good and healthy, and within your caloric boundaries for the day, but it's the little nibbles and beverages that push you over the top?

for example, I eat small meals, and don't snack usually, but the 2-3 cups of coffee, and glass of wine, plus maybe a special-k snack bar up the calories enough to count as almost an additional meal.

It's frustrating!
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #2  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

yes, i constantly find myself taking a little off my daughters plate while its in transition from her being done to the garbage lol of course i justify it by saying i dont want it to go to waste
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I count calories and I log my eating. That means logging what I really eat, not just what I plan to eat. The extra nibbles are called BLTs (bites, licks, tastes). Whenever I take a bite of something, I log it, and I always put down a conservative (high) estimate of the calories so that I am discouraged from doing that.

Anyway, those calories can really add up! You do have to take them into account (and get them under control).
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #4  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
I count calories and I log my eating. That means logging what I really eat, not just what I plan to eat. The extra nibbles are called BLTs (bites, licks, tastes). Whenever I take a bite of something, I log it, and I always put down a conservative (high) estimate of the calories so that I am discouraged from doing that.

Anyway, those calories can really add up! You do have to take them into account (and get them under control).
I agree. It's not easy sometimes, but if we are wanting to keep on track, we need to log everything. We're not going to be perfect, but in the end when we want to understand why we didnt' lose any weight this week say, that food log can explain a lot.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #5  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I have to eat snacks! But I plan for them, so that combined with my meals I am getting the amount of calories I want.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/ticker!/140

Height: 5'7"

I've figured out that I can't live without snacks, so I have a couple go-tos (fat-free yogurt with a tablespoon of dried coconut is my favorite right now) and I enter them on my calorie tracker first thing in the morning so I can plan my day's meals accordingly. Generally speaking I find the days I feel best are the ones when I don't just log my calories while I'm eating -- I enter them in my log before I even eat my first meal of the day. It's a great reminder of how many calories you have to play with.
rubbytummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerChic View Post
I agree. It's not easy sometimes, but if we are wanting to keep on track, we need to log everything. We're not going to be perfect, but in the end when we want to understand why we didnt' lose any weight this week say, that food log can explain a lot.
I absolutely agree as well. I actually created a custom food in FitDay called Misc. Calories - I'm not quite as strict as I was when I first started if I'm going to taste test whatever I'm cooking for dinner (I don't actually ladle out an exact tablespoonful anymore) but I usually add at least 100 "misc. calories" to my daily accounting to cover nibbles during food prep. My food during the day is spot on though because if I didn't measure and pack it in my lunch bag, I don't eat it.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #8  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Oh yeah, it's the nibbles that get me everyday! Congrats to those who are aware of their "problem" and plan for them!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 224/208/145

Height: 5ft 5 in

I love those 100 calorie packs because of the hectic life in my office. Those usually keep me in check with my "snack attacks" in the afternoon.
LCpanther1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I plan my snacks as well as my meals. If it isn't on my Daily Plate plan, I don't eat it (usually). So even the "little nibbles" or glasses of wine are already accounted for.

Otherwise I'd nibble myself back to 200+ pounds.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote