Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #1  

Default Online Personal Trainers

Does anyone have experience with using online personal trainers?

I just joined a gym, and part of the costs included 4 hrs of semi private instruction with the personal trainer. He seems alright to me, but the most benefit has been him showing me how to work the equipment, etc. To me, defining an hour of 'ok go do 30 min of cardio.....come back and do 20 min of weight, and ending with another 20 of cardio' doesn't exactly feel like 60 min of time with a trainer. I have my last appt with him coming up, and I don't think it's really worth the money to buy anymore time with him (right now).

I've given some thought to personal trainers online, as I hear they can devise plans for you; review what you are doing including food intake, etc. I just don't want to waste my money though.......so looking for any feedback that anyone can provide.

Thanks!
IBCruzNSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well I think maybe you just need a different personal trainer or to tell them what you are looking for specifically.

I think it is beneficial to have someone who will watch your form and also create a training plan for when you aren't with them. If I was paying for a personal trainer, I'd tell them my goals are to lose weight, gain muscle and I want our time together to be packed with stuff to help me learn. I'll come in 10 minutes early and warm up on a cardio machine but I don't want to spend our time on a cardio machine. I agree, that isn't helpful for me but some people may like that.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Don't do it!

I hired an online personal trainer about a year or so ago. Yes, he sent me routines to do, but I was basically on my own. Sometimes, even with the animated pictures, I did not understand how to do the exercises he was giving me. No one was there to correct my form.

At first he was very responsive to emails, but after a while he became difficult to contact. Sometimes I would log into his site and the next workout routine would not be posted in time.

Eventually I could not get ahold of him at all! I had paid for 3 months and this was only about halfway through that. I finally received an email from him saying something like "Sorry I've been in the process of moving." I paid this man 300 dollars and was not getting the service I should have.

After that email I replied and was ready to finish out the training but again he never responded. I never heard from him again after that one email.

I'm not saying all of them are crappy like this guy, but even during the good first few weeks I realized an online trainer was NOT what I needed. I need someone who is there with me to make sure I'm exercising correctly. I need someone there to push me towards my limits more because I'm too easy on myself. I just need someone there. Period.

This year I hired an actual trainer at my gym and have been very happy about it. I see him once a week and it makes a huge difference!
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #4  

Thanks for the feedback.

I will see how it goes at the gym. I guess if it gets to the point of paying the trainer at the gym, I will make sure it is clear as to what exactly I should expect to receive. I understand now the lack of full time attention from him right now, as they throw in the 4 sessions as part of your enrollment. However, if I were paying to have private sessions, yes, I would definiely expect it to be face to face, instructional time. Not me spending 3/4 of that time on the cardio machines.

Thanks again for the info.
IBCruzNSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #5  
BELIEVE!

Definately talk to the trainers at your gym and see what you are going to get for your money. I work with a trainer 3 days a week. It's 45-60 minutes one on one. I do stretching and cardio on my own. You have to find someone you are happy and comfortable with. I love my trainer!
Good Luck!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote