Old 10-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #42

Good morning to everyone. Hope your day is starting out well. I am going to get up and get my chores done in a bit, but thought I would check out what is going on here first.

Jean: Wonder what possessed the powers that be to build such a thing with nothing else to keep the tourists in your area? Hope you and the kids are having fun this weekend.

Jack went to get some donuts this morning. Nasty non healthy thing to eat, but we rarely have them anymore and I felt the urge.

It is sunny and warm here again today and I think maybe we will take Jack's gift cards and go to Chili's for lunch just to get out a bit. Nothing earth shattering to do today anyway. The kids are in Hot Springs this weekend as Thomas has Monday and Tuesday off school. I have no idea what they do there.

Nothing else going on in my part of the world. Have a good Sunday and see you tomorrow.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #2  

Good evening, ladies!

I had a really nice day. Went to Church this morning, then met my friend and we went southside to a quilt show. The show was disappointing but gave us plenty to say "I can do better" about. I found little gifts I can give me bee members for Christmas so that made it worth while. Then we came back to the Peninsula and went to Olive Garden for the soup and salad. Stopped at Joann's to use our 50% off coupons and came home.

I need to go and do a load of laundry and get my stuff ready for work. Have a good evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! It has been so windy today --anyone with a wig had better have it tied down! The rain is on the way and lots of snow in MT where Bob's brother lives. I'll take the rain! I am tired! The kids came yesterday and had a wonderful time at the waterpark. I must admit I was impressed when we went in to see it. Our afternoon was interrupted by taking MIL to the emergency room. About 10 days ago she thought she was getting a bladder infection and then never said any more about it. Well, the nurse called and said she was having problems so off we go. Bob told her to wait until she was in the examining room before she told her life's medical history for one and all to hear. He dropped us off, and she tried to tell the receptionist, the ER nurse as we are walking down the hall, and anyone else within earshot. *sigh* After an hour we were done and she's on some sort of antibiotic; Bob told her she had to take one in the morning and one at night with a beer. She doesn't drink so didn't know whether to believe him or not. Anyhow, supper was simple because we grilled hamburgers and hot dogs so we could eat whenever people were hungry. This morning we did the brunch at the hotel and it was good too. Everyone, including MIL, came to the house; we have lots of leaves in the front yard so the kids had a ball playing in them. I think a good share of them ended up in the house. After everyone left, Bob helped me and we vacuumed, mopped, and scrubbed fingerprints. I still need to sort through the toy box.

"Gma" -- Thank you for starting the new thread today! The powers-to-be think that with the waterpark new businesses/shops will come to town. The problem is that the local business owners don't want to stay open beyond 5:00 or on Sundays. We have several 'new' Hispanic stores, but the people staying at the waterpark hotel are not Hispanics. Ian has tomorrow off from school, but Maddy has to go. Beth was saying that Maddy's class says the Pledge of Allegiance but they say, "in my heart" rather than "under God." Ian's school doesn't say it at all.

Susan -- I'm glad you had a nice day today! I love the Olive Garden and usually order the soup and salad lunch. It's nice to have a head start on Christmas. I found some note sized stationery with initials -- one for Beth, Amanda, and my mom. I must have bought them for last year and forgot about them. I need to get my stuff in one spot so I know what I have!

Maggie -- Happy Birthday! I hope your day was a special one and may you enjoy many more!

My last load of laundry is ready for the dryer so I'd better keep moving. I know if I sit down I will fall asleep. Ernie has been sleeping ever since the kids left; he is good with the grandkids and is always right in the middle of the action.

Have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-12-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all!

Maggie: I sent you an ecard, but missed posting it yesterday so Hope you had a wonderful one.

Jean: today and I hope you have a nice one as well. Does your school system let you have the day off for your birthday? Your mil must be a real hoot, but like you said, when you are that old I guess you can do as you like. My leaves are a mess on the deck, but I am waiting until they all fall off the tree before trying to tackle them. Of course, like you, they get tracked in everytime someone goes out so I am constantly picking leaves up off the carpets and rugs.

Susan: Sounds like you had a real nice time. I love Olive Garden's pasta fagoli. It is just yummy. I like the salad too, but am not a big bread eater so don't care much about the bread sticks. I am trying to get stocking stuffers for everyone and it is tough to get stuff for adults that is reasonable. I have found a few things.

I guess I better get to work. I have a lot I want to accomplish today!
Faye
Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies! Happy Columbus Day...another excuse for government employees to take off. Another nice day in the making weather-wise.

Tonight is bible study and it's my month to do the refreshment table so I have to go early to get the coffee made and the food, cups, plates, etc. set out. Then I have to get it cleaned up and get to class. Not really hard but I'm not sure about the coffee on my own. It's a Bunn system that has all the bells and whistles.

Jean,:gift : Happy Birthday! I hope you have a good day. Do you have school today? Ours are closed for the holiday. I'm glad you had such a nice weekend.

Faye, I don't care for the breadsticks at Olive Garden, either. I'm glad they have the whole wheat linguine now. I usually just have the soup and salad, however. That's plenty. I love all their soups. So far we don't have leaves falling. It was so dry all summer they haven't even begun to change color yet.

Maggie, Sorry to be late, but Happy belated birthday.

I think we should make Faye move her birthday a few days later so we can all be in October.

Have a great day!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #6  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The temperature has dropped 20 degrees since noon and it is cold outside! Brrrrr! I'm not ready for winter weather yet! We had lots of kids absent today. I guess they didn't want to walk to school in the rain. There were 5 gone from the reading class and it was so nice! Bob is at church for practice so we will be eating late tonight. I am hungry now!

"Gma" -- Thank you for the birthday wishes! Yes, we had school today. I've put in for my personal days in November; Bob's group sings some of the Gaither music and they will be in Omaha for a concert. We have tickets and are going with another couple. The concert is on a Thursday night so we are staying overnight. I'm hoping to do some Christmas shopping on Friday before coming home. Our four huge maple trees hang on to their leaves until the very end, but sometimes they will have a few leaves all winter if the winds aren't too strong.

Susan -- Do you have to make some sort of dessert for your Bible study group? We also have Bunn coffee makers at church and I always have to read the directions every time. They are fast! We only have to serve coffee about once a year or so. We make it a bit stronger and some of the "old" ladies always say how good it is. I noticed several mailboxes had their flags up; I guess some people didn't realize we wouldn't get mail today. Thank you for the birthday wishes . . . another year older and wiser, I hope!

I need to find something to eat! I am starving -- this is my worst time of the day for eating. Have a relaxing evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #7  

Good morning ladies! I have the plumber coming this afternoon to fix a faucet on the tub. Our plumbing is so ancient, but it costs a fortune to have a plumber remove and replace it and Jack isn't too plumbing savvy, besides not having a pipe wrench and such to do it with. He made himself breakfast this morning, filled up the trashcan, stunk up the house with sausage smell and left the dishes in the sink for me to clean all up. I plan on letting him know I don't appreciate having to come downstairs and do all that stuff when he could clean up after himself. He knows how to unload the dishwasher and certainly knows where the trash bags are. He is so considerate most of the time, but sometimes his brain goes into standby I think!

Jean: Hope you and Bob enjoy your little trip. I am sure the gospel concert will be great. I remember when I was a little kid I got to hear the original BLackwood brothers and boy were they good. I have a Bible stored somewhere with J.D. Sumner's signature in the inside cover. I was in awe of what he could do with his voice. There is a Christian college called Bethel in South Bend and that is where they performed. If you have ever read an Janette Oke books, her husband used to be a professor at Bethel.

Susan: Don't worry, those big ole things aren't that scary. You will do fine. Jack and I used to have to set those up for Sunday School and once you get used to it, it is just routine. Hope you have a good Bible study.

My older sister bought me the most beautiful Peterboro basket for my birthday. It got here last night. It is a nice knitting basket on feet with a liner in it. I cut the heck out of my finger opening the box though. I didn't know I had even done it until I looked down and there was blood all over the place! lol Guess I am just numb! lol

My other sister bought me some nice Pampered Chef gadgets I had been wanting, an apple slicer, more of their chip clips, one of those cutters for plastic encased items, and a couple more things. I bought a pizza stone and am anxious to use it. I have several of their stone items and reall like them.

Have any of you ever used the silicone baking sheets, muffin tins and such? I bought a set from QVC along with a silicone pie sheet and roller. I am hoping they will do well when I go to make cookies this year.

Well, I have tons to do and time's a wastin' so have a good one gals!
Faye
Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies! It's supposed to be up in the 80s for the next three days and then Jean's cold front is arriving and it'll only be in the 60s on Friday. I just dress in layers and take off clothes as the day warms up.

Faye, I haven't used the silicon stuff so I'll be interested in your report. I love the Pampered Chef stones. I used the pizza stone to bake bread on (when I still baked). They also have a wonderful Cinnamon Plus spice that I always keep on hand. It makes wonderful cinnamon toast or french toast. It has a hint of orange in it. Your knitting basket was really a nice gift.

Jean, people are supposed to sign up to bring the treats for bible study but the ones who eat the most never bring anything. The coffee pots worked out fine. I wasn't sure about bleeding the lines first but it turned out to be easy.

I have quilt guild tonight with dinner with my friends first. I swore once the Challenge was over I was retiring from doing anything but sitting in a chair. So why did I volunteer with my friend to head up the 2009 Challenge? It was fun, it wasn't too hard until the last week, and we are pushovers when someone asks us to do something. So next year's challenge will be "Have You Read a Good Book lately?" That should give everyone plenty of leeway to find something.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking A Tusday Morning In Roctober

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I know I have been MIA and I do apologize. Well what just happened? I was typing away and "poof" my whole page dissappeared. Wierd.

Anyway as I said to all who had birthdays come around these last days. Shows we are alive and getting older the more of them we get.

I did have a good post going and don't have the energy to retype it all again. But...I will say I do have some of those silicone mini muffin trays and didn't buy the rack but use a baking sheet. Those stone things are so good to bake with. I love my stone lined little oven. I have never even used the oven yet in the stove here because for the two of us the little oven is quite large enough. However, for the Christmas party I will be using the bigger oven to bake my pies. Maybe I should crank it up and make sure it bakes at the proper temperature. I can also use the stone from the bottom of my small oven in the larger one. I have used stones for years. I got my first ones when they came in a box of 6 inch smaller tiles that you placed in your oven. That was way back when the bread machines first came out and cost aout $400.

I need to go eat some breakfast and get to work. Type at you later, sooner than later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #10  
Web Nana

A belated but, non the less, sincere Happy Birthday to all!

It certainly feels like fall here in the Northeast but we did have an exceptional Columbus Day and weekend. It has rained the last few years but this year was wonderful. We have followed a tradition for the last 20 years or so with the secretary and her husband from the office where Jack used to work. On the Sunday of the Columbus Day weekend they drive down from the other side of Boston and then we head off to Cape Cod. We have breakfast at the Daniel Webster Inn in Sandwich at the start of the Cape. After breakfast we drive leisurely down 6A which is the road least traveled. It has a great number of gift shops along the way and we manage to stop at most of them. I was very strong this year and didn't get anything for myself...I have no more room for knick knacks. However, Jack found a beautiful sun catcher for the living room window. It is quite large and it has three Cardinals in different poses. It really is beautiful.
After the ride we come back here and I had made some spaghetti and sausages and meatballs that I could just reheat with some garlic bread and a salad. It usually is an early night as they both had to work the holiday. I

I think I told you that last summer I got an IMAC computer and got their One to One year long lessons. I have been going once a week to the Apple store and am enjoying it and also learning a lot. For $100 you get 52 sessions which are individual lessons as well as they transferred all the info from my PC to the IMAC. They are just young kids but my goodness do they know their stuff.
Today I have been downloading a number of my cd's to ITUNES and now I can enjoy music as I play with the computer.

If nothing else it is keeping my mind going and I will not stagnate.

Again a very Happy Birthday to all.

Gloria
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is raining again in my neighborhood . . . and cold! The furnace is running since I turned it up when I walked in the door. The older I get the more I hate being chilly in the house. We had 5 students missing from reading class today -- what a joy! The principal came in and sat through the whole class working on her palm pilot. I'm not sure if she was observing the teacher, me, the students, or the class in general. I just ignored her and did what I usually do.

"Gma" -- I laughed out loud when you said Jack's brain is sometimes on standby! I understand! I think that is a male trait! I'm sure you will enjoy your knitting basket; what a nice gift! I have some Pampered Chef things even though I don't like to cook. I always enjoy watching the food demonstration at the parties, and have good intentions. I don't have any of the silicone pans so let us know how you like them.

Susan -- I get irritated when I make treats from scratch and other people buy them at the store! I know what you mean about volunteering. Last night a gal from church called and wanted to know if I would be on a committee that selects people to be on the various church committees. She is the mother of one of Jason's classmates and a retired teacher; she's so nice I didn't have the heart to say no when she mentioned she was having trouble getting people to volunteer. Enjoy your dinner out and quilt evening tonight!

Maggie -- It's nice to see you here again! I was beginning to wonder if you were having computer problems. I've lost many posts over the years. Maddening for sure!

Gloria -- I think having a predetermined date with friends is a wonderful idea! We used to do that with another couple when our kids were little. Once they were all gone from home we all got busier and the other couple ended up with custody of their two very young grandchildren. We are hoping to revive that tradition again. The cardinal suncatcher sounds beautiful! We have a pair of cardinals coming to eat from a sunflower feeder that Bob put out. So far the squirrels haven't found the feeder and the blue jays are leaving the cardinals alone. They are so pretty.

The guy is here to put another layer on the bathroom ceiling. I need to pick up the clutter. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-14-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all! Looks like it is going to be another warm one here today.

The plumbing place called yesterday morning saying they had a plumber available could he come early. I wanted Jack home, but wanted the faucet fixed so said come ahead. What a nice young man he was and he did a great job. I used the same company as the last time I had the leak fixed and looked it up and they charged me $175 to repair not replace and the guy said to rebuild both would cost me $500. I said no. Anyway, this guy rebuilt both, put on all new faucet handles for hot, cold and shower and a new tub spout, caulked everything well and charged me $201! Wonder where the $500 estimate came from??? I also had him give me an estimate on redoing the other bathtub. I asked him if there was more than one Ryan where he worked and he said they had a helper named Ryan but not another plumber. I plan on asking for him by name next time I need a plumber.

Gloria: So nice to see you! Sounds like you had a really nice time with your friends. We sure do miss ours. We were close with one couple and they just got divorced so there they go, then we hung out with the older sister and and hubby and played cards with them and he is now in a nursing home with advanced MS. My younger sister and her husband moved to CA, then we moved down here so we are now friendless so to speak. We don't know anyone here anymore as our one couple friends moved back to Oklahoma and we don't know anyone else except Kelly and Tom. We don't see them often as they are so busy with their own lives.

Jean: I told Jack I wasn't happy with him leaving his dishes and he said, "I couldn't put them in the dishwasher it was full of clean dishes." Then tried to tell me the trashcan was not full when he left for work. I guess the trash fairies came and loaded it up after he left! He almost forgot to take the trash out to the corner this morning. I at least try to get him to do that on a regular basis, but have to remind him most of the time.

Maggie: We've been wondering where you ran off to. Thought maybe you and hubby took off for somewhere again!

Susan:I am sure you will still have fun with next year's challenge. It keeps you busy with your friend's. I will let you know about the bakeware. I am hoping it will work. I have a lot of trouble with my baking sheets, warping then cookies not cooking evenly. I don't know what you can do about that if anything.

I ordered Jackson one of those new Elmo dolls for Christmas. I guess they are the thing to get this year. He stands, sits, walks, talks and tells stories. I think Jackson will get a kick out of it. I also got him a sand table for their back yard and it has a lid so cats can't get into it. I have started getting into my Christmas buying stage since I have to have everything a month earlier than Christmas.

Well, Fortune is standing here whining to go out. You gals have a nice one!
Faye
Old 10-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining but the wind is blowing . . . cold! Today was a long day at school -- nothing out of the ordinary, just seemed extra long. I have farm clothes washing and the dishwasher going.

I am sad . . . tomorrow is our doctor's last day at the clinic. There is a reception for him and his wife on Sunday, and then they are going to be traveling around the U. S. in a motor home.

"Gma" -- I'd say you got a good deal on the plumber this time. Maybe the estimate was "over" rather than under trying to be safe rather than justify a larger amount. I'm glad it is fixed! Every once in awhile Bob will forget to take the garbage out . . . we recycle on Monday and everything has to be in clear bags while Thursday is garbage day and we can use the black trash bags. What bugs Bob is that the restaurants, schools, etc., don't have to recycle so our stuff gets dumped in right along with their's. The Elmo doll sounds cute! I miss the ToyRUs store in Sioux City. There is one in Sioux Falls but we don't get up there very often.

I'm off to check the dryer. Have a relaxing evening and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all! Hope you are all doing well.

Jean: Though we are part of the city and the city has mandatory recycling, we don't get city trash pick up but has to pay for private with our association fees. With that being said, we don't recycle or aren't even offered the option. I make it sound like Jack doesn't do anything and that's not true, I just get tickled at what he doesn't even think about doing. He does things like hauls the clothes basket upstairs every night so I don't have to carry it, hauls the vacuum or the shampooer so I don't have to drag and anything else I ask him to do. Jack is one of those, you have to ask if you want me to do something kind of guys. He is a procrastinator too and unless I make an issue of something, like I have been hinting around he really needs to clean up his office, he leaves it the way it is. I have learned to deal with somethings though it drives me nuts to do so. You know, I am that crazy woman who only functions properly with order! lol I also got Jackson a penguin bowling set. It is so cute. It is cloth penquins that are the pins then a soft cloth ball to roll and knock them over. I bought him some weird fingerpainting thing that doesn't use paint so maybe it is like an etch a sketch or something but you use your fingers and hands. I also bought him about 8 Mercer Mayer books. Jay loved them so much I thought his son might too.

Looks like my bakeware and such are coming today so I am anxious to see how well the stuff works. I got Thomas's Paula Deen cookbook for kids yesterday and noticed that the picture on the cover with her rolling out something was with one of those silicone rolling pins. They don't have handles for one things so you use the palms of your hands and not fists to roll stuff out. They are more sanitary than a wooden rolling pin too.

I guess I better get the day started. It just seems to be waiting for me to go to work and get the chores done.

Have a good Thursday ladies!
Faye
Old 10-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #15  

Good afternoon, ladies! 83 degrees already today! We're supposed to have a high of 89 - and tomorrow the high will be 62! Jean's cold weather is coming here.

I had my quilting bee last night and went to Ruby Tuesday's with 2 of the members beforehand. They have wonderful Creole Taliapia with Shrimp. Then, because my birthday was last week (any excuse!) we order just one piece of double chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and the three of us shared it. Thinking over the past week, it was the only cake I had. Anyway, it was delicious.

I am so glad that I don't have anywhere to be in the evenings but bible study. I've been on the go too much and not getting anything done. I want to stay home and work on my quilting projects!

Our trash pickup is through the association but our recycling is picked up by the county. We have a big green bin to put recycling in but it isn't mandatory.

Have a good day!