General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 06:34 AM   #1  

How is every one doing? I have been down with a cold the last few days. Yesterday was the worst, I seem to be on the mend now. I hate being sick. Somehow vegetable do not appeal when your head is stuffed and you tummy feels yucky. On the good side, I didn't eat a lot of anything.
LisaSue, I know how you are feeling. Being sick is for the birds and having your child be ill, too, is lousy. I hope you are both feeling better.
Ann, my sister and mother live in Peach Tree City, Ga. We go there for Thanksgiving. I pretty much stick to the zone and use the WW points and journal to keep track.
Amy, congratulations on losing another pound. You are my hero.
Maureen
Old 02-15-2001, 11:44 PM   #2  

Hi Everyone:

Maureen: Hope you're feeling much better. I know we are, but still I get tired a little quicker than before, but nothing to worry about.

Sabrina: WTG on your loss! I have been fluctuating between 159 and 155 for about a month now and I need to kick it in gear and pay closer attention to see where I need to improve, not to mention continue walking and weight training...something to help me get to where I need to be. I have another 10 to 15 lbs. to go and GEEZ, it's just as hard trying to lose 1 lb., let alone 15 lbs.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Lisa
Old 02-17-2001, 10:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 168

Hi Zone Gang,

Like everyone else, I've been busy and not able to post. Valentine's day hit during that TOM and I really hit the Hershey Hugs and Kisses. Was wrapping them up in red cellophane - assisting my daughter in her class valentine. Seemed like wrap up three - eat one!

Sabrina and LisaSue: Wow - we are all at the same spot on the scale. I am up to 159 again and just focusing on getting back to the 155 mark on the scale. It has been tough.

Sabrina: Sounds like you will get to know Houston well. Hope the new boss works out - sounds like this is a good change from your remarks.

Maureen: Peachtree Ga. is really a nice community. I assume your sister golfs as everyone seems to own their private golf cart. Was hoping to walk the golf cart paths but ended up having to work too much. Thanks for starting the new thread. Hope you feel better. I am still blowing my nose and sneezing - this is like the world's longest cold.

Take care everyone and happy zoning.
Ann W
Old 02-19-2001, 11:21 PM   #4  

Hi kids.
Well it was quite a week last week. Last Monday, I thought I was on the road to recovery and Tues. I hit a detour. Well it's over now and I was able to work on Friday and Saturday. I'll tell you though, I must be the only person on earth who can gain weight while ill. I checked the scale this morning and,well, I have to start over again. I did buy the ingredients for my tofu stirfry and will have that a few times this week.
Ann, I love those Hershey Hugs. My sister doesn't golf but she, her hubby and my mother all go where they want by golf cart. It was especially nice for my mother since she had given up her license (she never liked driving) as it gave her some independence. She could run to the store if she needed something and when the girls are not in school she could take them to Chik Fil A for lunch. It's amazing, you can go anywhere you need with the golf cart, they have undergrounds or overhead bridges to cross the main streets.
LisaSue, you sound like you need a kick in the pants just like I do. Are you in a colder climate (I am). Just hang in there. Maybe look for a new recipe or if there is one you like and haven't made in awhile get the stuff and make it. Spring and then summer is right around the corner-regardless fo the fact that our windchill factor is 2 degrees today.
Maureen
Old 02-21-2001, 11:39 PM   #5  

Hi Everyone:

Ann W. On the good side, Valentine's Day is over. Now Easter is coming up.
I didn't do all that great, but I didn't over indulge too much neither, more than I wish I had...but it's over and I'm trying to pay closer attention and not eat chocolate everyday. I had to put them out of sight so I won't be so tempted. Hubby bought truffles from Betsy Ann Chocolates and they are sooooo rich, too rich to even finish one. Although my weakness are the (liquid) chocolate covered cherries, which of course he bought those also.

My neighbor told me that she keeps asking herself, "Is this really good enough to eat to waste fat and calories?" So I try to remember that and sometimes it does work.

Maureen:
I live North of Pittsburgh, PA. And today it's in the low 20's. We're going to visit my in-laws in Arizona next month and we all are really looking forward to that. Need a break from this weather. This is the first winter that the cold actually "hurts". I love the snow, but I'm seeing that the older I'm getting the less I enjoy it. I have quite a few family members that have been crippled from Arthritus (sp?). That's another reason I'd like to lose the weight so the knees don't kill me.
What stir fry (tofu) recipe do you use? I've been adding soy to my diet, Silk, soy plain milk, veggie or soy cheddar cheese and Nu laid egg substitute. (Cannot do dairy), but I tried the veggie hot dogs yesterday and well ugh... I'll still force myself to eat most of them, because I can't stand the thought of throwing them away and thus tossing out $3 something. I really like the soy mushroom burgers, made by Harmony Farms. They are pretty good with a slice of veggie cheese melted on top.

Well, this week has been a great week as far as exercising, and better in eating wise, but not perfect. I hope I can keep this up and continue taking it day by day.

I hope everyone is feeling much better and back on track with the Zone and/or being more active.

Take care and have a Great Day.

[This message has been edited by LisaSue (edited 02-21-2001).]
Old 02-23-2001, 12:41 PM   #6  

Hi Zone Gang,

Had a great workout today - wish I would do my weights more than once a week but at least I do it now. Have to get off the carbo kick and start focusing more on the zone. Made a turkey last weekend but really over ate. Of course I had to have mash potatos, gravy and stuffing. What started off as a very healthy zone favorable meal ended up being a gorge fest.

Maureen: Glad you are feeling better - I still sneeze and blow my nose on a regular basis but I am not achey feeling.

LisaSue: I know exactly what you mean about keeping the yucky hotdogs. I hate to waste money - must be the child of a depression era parent! I purchased some high protein cold cereal and it started smelling up my cabinents - it was gross.

Still trying to keep motivated and get down to the 155 hash mark again.

Don't remind me about Easter! I think we will be on the East Coast looking at colleges for my daughter so no Easter baskets. We are looking at Miami of Ohio (where I went) Wake Forest, Duke, William & Mary, Univ of North Carolina and Univ. of Virginia. It should be a fun time. If any of you know anything about these place let me know. We are flying into Richmond (with a stopover in Ohio) and just doing a girls roadtrip. The internet is great for looking up colleges.

Anyway, good luck everyone and happy zoning!
Ann W

Old 02-26-2001, 04:12 AM   #7  

Hi -

Just a quick note to check in. I am finally home and enjoying the sunshine after yet another trip to Houston. Every time I go there, I feel sick - must be the air. Anyway, I was very very lax on my eating there and I'm afraid to hop on the scale for fear of what it might say.

This week, I am going to focus on getting back into my routine. I started off well this morning with a long walk outside, which felt great after a week of not doing anything.

Anyway, I will post more later, but I need to go get myself a latte'.

Sabrina
Old 02-26-2001, 06:38 PM   #8  

Hey Zoners!!

I haven't been around-- my internship is keeping me very busy, plus I am taking a night class and well everything else. I am spending less and less time on the computer-- which is good and bad!

I have lost 16.25 pounds as of last weigh-in-- it is slowing down but it is still a loss every week and that is all that counts! I am feeling great! I was getting bored so I changed my workouts around a little. My mom and I are taking Racquet Ball lessons (I use to play years ago)-- I ahve played about 4 times in the last two weeks. WHAT A WORK OUT!! My first race is next Sunday so I will begin my Spring running regime. This is good as I was getting bored with the treadmill and strength training routine.

We had another ice storm-- The weather is getting to me. It is always cold, icey and dreary.....and the snow keeps coming! Sometimes March is our worst month. I CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING!!

Well I have to get my daughter on the bus. It was great reading through the post-- I really can't let so much time go by!

Have a great day!

AMY
225/166.5/150 Only 16.5 to go!
Old 02-27-2001, 01:30 AM   #9  

I just posted this as another topic...but I was recommended to post here as well!!

Good Morning everyone!!
I just bought Mastering the Zone last night and I think my fiance and I are going to do it together! We are getting married in July would both like to lose about 20 pounds and also just feel healthier and more energetic!! We've heard good things about the program, and I'm very excited to get started.

Here's my question...WHERE DO I START?? I am going to go to the grocery store after work, and I wanted to have a list of things to get...I know the obvious, like chicken, fish, turkey, egg beaters, but what else??? I think I just need to be pointed in the right direction because I am a little overwhelmed. What do y'all eat for breakfast? I am thinking oatmeal, protein powder and fruit...but that seems like it will be the hardest for me as I am always on the run.

Anyhow, any advice would help!! Thanks in advance!

Old 02-27-2001, 01:38 PM   #10  

Hello Zonettes,

Haven't been doing a great job of keeping off the sweets because - THE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES ARE HERE!!!!. My daughter sold 300 boxes so my living room is just filled. I bought some and boy do they go down fast. Think I might give up cookies for lent.

I am contemplating doing the Self Magazine Challenge. I subscribe to the magazine and then I noticed someone just started a thread. Just don't know if I have time for all the posting.

Dannimac: Welcome. You are right - breakfast can be one of the hardest meals to get together when you are on the go. Before work I often have a Zone Bar or a Balance Bar for breakfast. It seems to work and fills me up. If I am feeling ambitious the night before, I make an omelette and put it in the fridge. You nuke it in the morning and it tastes pretty darn good - make a big one and share. Also, some people on this thread have great recipes for smoothies which can also be a quick breakfast. Good luck on your weight loss.

Jakeswoman: Wow you really are busy. You are doing great with the weight loss. What class are you taking at night?

Sabrina: Traveling always seems to get me down a bit. I have a trip to Stamford CT in a few weeks. Although is is just for a few days, I think the culprit is the plane with all the recycled germs.

Hope everyone is keeping strong. Summer weather is just around the corner!

Happy Zoning.

Ann W.

Old 02-27-2001, 08:36 PM   #11  

Thank you for the info! I started this morning off right...oatmeal, protein powder, slice of canadian bacon, and 3 macademia nuts. I feel full and satisfied! I also went to the gym so I definitely feel motivated. I should keep a picture of my wedding dress on my fridge to give me motivation...only 5 months to go, from tomorrow!
Old 03-02-2001, 01:27 AM   #12  

Hi Everyone:

Well, last week (and so far this week) have been great for my exercising. I'm up to 50 minutes and 3.30 to 3.50 miles a day speed walking/jogging on the treadmill! I want to "see" a difference now. :confused: I am noticing on the scale, that I seem to be staying at 156.5 and not gaining, but I "feel" like I should be at least 153 by now. I know....keep wishing, huh?

Jakeswoman: WTG on the loss! My neighbor (she's 40 something) plays Racquet ball 3 to 5 times a week and she might be a size 6. She looks like she's in her 20's though.
In fact, she hit black ice and flipped her car (it rolled 3 times) and she walked away without a scratch, not even a sore muscle. I told her it probably was because she is in such good shape, not to mention she also had someone looking out for her.

Dannimac: Welcome! Just to give you a couple ideas what I have for breakfast;
I have either Nulaid egg beaters (fluffed up in the microwave), with sharp cheddar veggie cheese, (those two products work best for me since I'm lactose intolerant.
Anyhow, I have 1/2 C. eggbeaters (spray a bowl with pam or something, put in your eggs/egg beaters) and nuke it for almost 2 minutes and then I put a slice of cheese on top and it melts and I really like it. I'll have fruit or even stewed tomatoes for my carbs. Also, low fat cottage cheese with fruit (fresh, frozen or canned, I drain and rinse the canned fruit) with almond slivers is great also. That's all my husband will have for breakfast during the week.
Good luck with ths Zone, I'm sure you'll find it becoming easier after a short while.

Ann W: I did toss out those hotdogs. They just were nasty. In fact, they got on the slimy side two days later, so I had no choice. I know I'll just ENJOY a REAL hotdog and make up for it elsewhere.
I'm still at 156.5 and I've been doing great exercising and I'm not doing too bad eating wise neither. I guess it all just takes time.

Well, my daughter will be getting off the bus in the next hour and I'm going to relax and read for a while.

Have a great day everyone and Take care!

[This message has been edited by LisaSue (edited 03-01-2001).]
Old 03-03-2001, 12:32 AM   #13  

Hello Dannimac!! I'm glad you came a board!

Hello everyone....

Well-- I lost another 3 pounds, down 19.25 and at an even lower weight than last year (before I had that LONG set back). I can't believe it I am actually doing it!!

I can't tell you how much working most of the principles of the Zone has made a difference. My mom is struggling on WW-- she goes with me. I check her journal and found that even though she is staying with in her points the weight is coming off very slowly. I tried to tell her that even though she was staying well within her points that she isn't eatting the right combinations of foods. To give you an example her favorite food is bagels! On WW you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay with in your points-- so she eats bagels every day. I tried to talk to her but she just couldn't understand. I asked her to stay late at the next meeting to talk to the leader. WELL........ the leader looked through her journal and told her all of the same things I did. All about eatting the right combos-- and told her to kick the bagel habit and FF saltine habit if she wanted to lose weight. So she is going to give a 40-30-30 balanced way of eating for two weeks. THANK GOD!!

I am so thankful for the Zone!! WW too as I like the group and the progam is pretty flexible. It will be interesting to see how my mom does the next two weeks! I'll let you all know.

Ann-- I am taking a Pupil/Personnel course that is required to take while you do your internship. It is alot of educational law and ethics. (VERY REPETIVE INFORMATION!!) Plus I have my group supervision at night with my supervisor. I am getting closer to the end-- I CAN'T WAIT!! I am tired of going to school! Thanks for asking!

LisaSue- there is something to that racquet ball!! I lost so much weight this week and I thing I will attribute it to the intensity of the work out in the game! I played with my husband last saturday-- WHEW! I was beat and sore!

Well I'll be checking in next week!

Where's Maureen? Dannimac needs you Maureen!

Have a great week!

Jakeswoman
225/163.5 /150 (almost there!)
Old 03-03-2001, 03:06 AM   #14  

Hi everyone!!

Thanks for the advice on breakfast! I'm going to give the eggbeaters a try tomorrow. I really don't find this difficult to stay on at all, except a couple of times this week I didnt' do the late night snack. I am just not hungry!! But I feel energetic...the first couple of mornings I was hungry a couple of hours after my breakfast, but I added more protein powder to my oatmeal and have felt good the past two days. I definitely could see this being a very good choice for me! My pants already feel looser! I'm looking to just inially lose 5 pounds...that's all I want...small victories. If I lost 5, I know I would be motivated to keep going!

I'll keep y'all updated. I am starting at 150 and would LOVE to see 130 again (it has been about 20 years since I flew past it!!)
Old 03-05-2001, 09:51 PM   #15  

Hi everyone--may I join your thread?

I'm a brand new Zoner and I'm just out looking for some support. It's funny because I've been counting calories for a few weeks and just recently decided to eat less carbs and more protein. So I tweaked my plan a little and it turns out that I had adjusted it to about a 40/30/30 ratio. So I remembemered a Zone book I had read a while ago, pulled it out and reread it, and now I'm hooked! The plan makes so much sense and it's so much easier than all the other extreme low-carb plans. Besides, it just doesn't seem healthy to me to eat less than 50 grams of carbs a day, but in the Zone it seems like just the right amount of everything.
I have a few questions though. What are some good suggestions for a brown-bag lunch? Right now I'm taking a sandwich with lots of low-fat turkey breast, tomato, and lettuce and a hard-boiled egg. I'd like some variety though so any suggestions would be great!
Also, what do you all think about insulin resistance? I'm thinking that I might be insulin resistance (or at least sensitive) and that's why I always gained weight eating a relatively low-calorie but high-carb diet. That's why I'm so excited to start the Zone--I'm hoping that it'll end my weight loss struggle once and for all!

Have a good night everyone!

~Donna~
Closed Thread