Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #1  

Default Working out 2 hours a day ?????

Would that be bad I am around 130lbs I have been tested for thyroid and hormonal imbalances I am 5'0 so my BMI is in the overweight range......My Dr has put me on some shakes I have been faithful and working out once a day to billy blanks but my body refuses to lose weight or inches

I thought well I might just need to do my billy blanks in the am the after dinner do a 3 mile leslie sanson walk fallowed by billy blanks ab workout?????

I didnt know if it would be harmful to work out that hard ?My dr has me at around 1000 to 1200 calories a day.................I am 27
PinkVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

That seems a bit much, considering the amount of calories you are on each day. How long have you been working out and dieting? Are you drinking enough water?
Maybe you could try building up to a 3 mile walk--start with 1/2 mile, then 1 mile, etc.
What foods are you eating everyday? Are you getting enough protein? What kinds of carbs are you eating? What are you drinking?
Welcome, by the way!!!!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I think 2 hours is excessive unless you're training for a specific event or are a professional athlete.

I suspect if your doctor has you on a very restricted calorie diet, then you're over exercising and you're stalling your loss.

Honestly I've lost nearly 80lbs by exercising no more than an hour a day, and usually for 4-5 days a week.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #4  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

That's a lot of exercise! I'm sure you could get great results working out 1 hour a day, 4/5 days a week. And, you should never be under 1200 calories. I am surprised your Doc told you to go below that. Wow.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerChic View Post
That's a lot of exercise! I'm sure you could get great results working out 1 hour a day, 4/5 days a week. And, you should never be under 1200 calories. I am surprised your Doc told you to go below that. Wow.

Um..yeah. Keep in mind doctors don't know everything...not even close. I completely disagree with the calorie amount your doctor has given and I would suggest you eat more regardless of what he/she has said. But then again, I would wonder about any doctor who puts you on shakes instead of telling you to learn to eat healthy. To answer your question, no, I don't think you should workout 2 hours a day. If you have thyroid issues you could also have adrenal issues and working out like that will only make it worse. You don't want to beat your body to death when you are trying to heal.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 10-08-2008 at 08:53 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

What RangerChic said.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I agree with what everyone else said above, plus I wonder about the composition of what you are eating as well as how much. A nutritionist could help plan a diet for you that incorporates your specific health issues and makes sure that you get the nutrition you need as well as help with weight loss - if you can do this it could be a great help. If not, some research on your own might help? Just a calorie count isn't enough info for you, I think. And I agree about the shakes - I have personal experience with that with my husband - in the past he lost a lot of weight with that method, learned nothing about changing his eating habits, etc, and put it all and more back on. (He has gone along with me on this weight loss trip this time, eating like I do, and has lost 127 pounds and kept it off for over a year now.)

I don't think doctors generally know too much about weight loss/exercise/diet and are prone to quick pronouncements that leave you puzzled. I think they want to solve the problem quickly (whatever the patient in front of them has, I mean, not just weight loss) and don't take the time to deal with all the factors involved.

My personal experience was with diabetes - my doctor sent me to a nutritionist and she sorted out all the right foods, proportions, etc. (I found my diet was not only way caloric but way out of balance with it almost all being carbs! bad for blood sugar and weight gain).

I lost 85 pounds exercising about 1 hour a day (or sometimes a bit more if I did something at a lower burn level like walking vs. swimming or aerobics). That was enough, I worry about you burning out on exercise at the levels you are talking about and then not wanting to do anything. Or else hurting yourself.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #8  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Geranium View Post
That was enough, I worry about you burning out on exercise at the levels you are talking about and then not wanting to do anything. Or else hurting yourself.

Absolutely. And with thyroid issues (and who knows what else because that can lead to other problems or be caused by things you didn't know about), you could wear yourself down really quickly. You don't want to lose weight at the expense of your health. That is no fun at all.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #9  
I will do it!!

Height: 5'7"

I also think 2 hours is a bit excessive. I also workout 4-5 days a week for an hour or 45 min. only it works for me. I keep a food log and exercise log to keep track what I am eating and how much I am moving.
alwaysej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #10  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

You could also trying pushing your intensity level up and doing the 1 hr a day rather than two.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote