Old 10-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6.5

Default Any other military or military wives out there

Anyone else in the military or married to a military person out there?
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Edit: oops.

Anyways, My husband is in the MC.

Last edited by FreeSpirit; 10-09-2008 at 01:42 PM.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Hi!

I'm on terminal leave (I had 60 days of leave, can you believe it!?) but I was active duty army for six years. Got tired of the B.S. I'm in pre-med now working on a degree in pharmacology.

How are you?

Last edited by NishKitten; 10-09-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Forgot something
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/150/115

Height: 5'3"

I am married to a soldier - AD Army I love this lifestyle and so does he He is career military - 6 years in so far. 3 enlisted and 3 officer - we love it!

Edited to add - I forgot to tell what he does! Right now he is military intelligence, but he is going psychological operations next month.

Last edited by kimberlyw; 10-09-2008 at 01:14 PM.
kimberlyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6.5

I was National Guard for 6 years Army, then went to Air guard. Planning on getting out this spring. My husband is AGR Army and being deployed again. Kim- How can you "love" it?? I hate it soooo much. I really don't want to be alone again for another year. I'm afarid my weight will skyrocket again!!! ;(

Lovley - What is SOS?
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #6  

HMM...

Maybe I don't recognize your avatar. LOL.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #7  

Jaime, I HATE deployments, but I can do it. I love the opportunity to pick up and move someplace new and make new friends and start over again every 3-4 years I love traveling and the newness of it all!

As for deployments, mine just got back Dec 15 2007 from a 15 month deployment. (Yes, Connor was a "just got back from Iraq" baby LOL)

We thought it would be 12 months when he left in Sept 2006. However, right after he got back to Iraq from R&R, all the spouses/parents got phone calls saying it had been extended to 15 mo. That was the only time I remember breaking down and crying since he had first left. I cried all evening while I called the women on my phone roster, and then I smoked a pack of ciggerettes (I smoked while he was deployed - not going to do that again), and drank a bottle of good German wine. After that I was fine again

I actually lost all the baby weight from my third baby when he left. I lost 30lbs in 2 mo. Depression makes me lose instead of gain. So everyone was really concerned at first, but I was fine

Anyway, we are facing deployment in about a year after he finishes psyops training. He gets attatched to a special forces group and luckily their deployments are only like 6 mo at a time - much more doable than that 15 mo stint.

GL during the deployment and if you ever need to talk you can pm me and I will give you my e-mail/phone number
Old 10-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #8  

My husband is deployed right now. He's been gone since August 18th. *sigh*

He'll be gone through thanksgiving, christmas, the new year, and he should be back right around my birthday near the end of march.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #9  

I'm sorry hon!! That sucks so much - My hubby has missed my daughter's first and second birthdays due to his deployment. Her third b-day is next month and he will miss it again due to SERE's training I hate that he misses out on family celebrations - it kinda dampens the whole spirit of it! I hope he gets back in time for your b-day
Old 10-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #10  

His expected return date is the day AFTER my birthday, lol. We all know how those things can change though, so we'll see.

He feels really crappy about it too because they're expected to deploy again in Feb. 2010. So he'll miss it AGAIN. He missed it last year because he was trianing.

He's going to miss our 1 year wedding anniversary, and he might miss the one in 2010 as well... depending on when they leave in Feb.

He doesn't want to be a lifer, though. So his deployment in 2010 should be his last thankfully. At least I'll get to spend the holidays with him next year! I didn't get to last year because he got out of training, and found out where his duty station was going to be so we didn't get a chance to make any christmas plans because we didn't know where he would be!

Last edited by FreeSpirit; 10-09-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #11  

It is tough when they miss important occasions I hope that his return date does change My hubby missed our first anniversary too - only it was just a lousy field exercise LOL - he was a cavalry scout with the 2/2 ACR at Fort Polk back then

I think having kids helps me to deal with the deployments because I never have to deal with an empty, quiet house, and my kids and I talk about their dad and when we are sad we tell eachother. GL during the rest of this deployment
Old 10-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #12  

Default Ack!

Tell your hubby good luck with the SERE training. I went through the not as bad SERE-ITAC and got my *** kicked a few times.

Hubby is SF and he went through SERE-C and came home gaunt and sick with his toes broken, bruised ribs, and missing a tooth in the back. They aren't allowed to talk about it, so don't even ask.

It's pretty intense. Lots of mind games, and they'll probably waterboard him so he has that to look forward to. Glad he's going while it's still a little warmer.

Honestly, I miss my husband, but I don't mind the deployments much anymore. To be honest I kinda don't mind him getting out of my face for a few months. It gives me time to redecorate and buy things I couldn't buy if he was home. He's never been gone longer than 6 months at a time, but there is a lot of times where he'll come home for two weeks then be off again. At least now we get fair warning, when we first got hitched I would come home and he would just be gone until he showed up again. It was pretty bad while we were doing the 'revolving door' deployment thing. He would be coming, I would be leaving, or vice versa. It got pretty stupid, then they stop-lossed me due to "retention necessity", then stop lossed me AGAIN and deployed me a second time which is how I ended up being in this long. My ETS was Oct 20 2006... heh.

Last edited by NishKitten; 10-09-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #13  

Good Lord!!! I hope that you can really get out this time!

Yeah, Josh told me that they are allowed to break a toe or a pinky finger and they can hit you and deprive you of food, sleep, etc. He didn't tell me that I couldn't ask about it though - not that I would really want to know about him being tortured in detail (unless he really pissed me off LOL).

Anyway, I told him if he looked too beat up he might need to stay in lodging a few nights to recover (I don't want our boys 8, and 10 to see him all beat up...). I am proud of him even though I don't really understand why anyone in their right mind would volunteer for this LOL!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #14  

Default Well...

It's kinda fun in a sick way, but then... i've got issues. Anyplace where I can kick someone in the face and it's allowed is a good time for me.

I don't think they do the simulated rape training to the guys, so he won't have to worry about some stinky dude getting WAY too close which is fortunate for him. I did learn some great self defense techniques in that training though. I use them on my husband to coerce him into doing chores.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

I’m not a military wife or girlfriend, there use to be like a half dozen of you on here and now it seems they have all disappeared. I work with veterans and it amazes me every day the sacrifice they and their families make . . . so thank you all and thank your spouses for your scarifies.

(On an odd note I love guys in the military something about uniforms . . . )
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote