Old 10-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/150/115

Height: 5'3"

Question Diet and exercise with kids...

Okay, I know there is a subforum for BFing moms here, but it is so not lively there! Hardly any new posts in the last two days! Anyway, the BFing is not my biggest obstacle to weight loss anyway.

I am worried about sticking to an exercise program. I have four kids (10, 8, 2, and a newborn). I have to have my hubby watch them to go exercise because it is not realistic for me to exercise with them around. I know it sounds horrible to say they are an obstacle, but they really are! If I try to do any workouts here they are all over me asking questions, or my 2 yo is underfoot tripping me constantly! It drives me nuts!

So, I have to exercise in the evenings when hubby comes home from work - my other obstacle! His schedule is erratic to say the least (he is active duty military) so I can't plan for the same time every night. Not only that but I am physically and mentally wiped out by dinner time! Getting up 3-4 times a night to breastfeed, taking care of house and kids, helping my older two with homework, picking up after my tornado of a two year old, etc.

Anyone else in the same boat? Any workable advice?

This is something I really want for me and it is important. I just don't know if it feasable to stick to it - although I know it should be a priority. It is just hard to juggle everything.

Edited to add that my kids are eating all my diet food! They are never interested in food I like until now!!! My kids ate all my laughing cow cheese, my granola, and my yogurts! UGH!!!!! I think I need to start buying these things in bulk so I have enough to share....

Last edited by kimberlyw; 10-08-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention...
kimberlyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185 / 182.5 / 150

Height: 5'5

Default RE: kimw exercise with kids

Hi - I understand what you mean about being to tired to exercise and night after I get mine in bed I really want to crawl in myself. I have worked out that I can exercise for 45 mins of cardio during there nap time - with a new born this will be really hard to do - mine are older. Also are you able to join your local YMCA. The one by me is really very reasonable, they may even have discounts since your husband is miltary (thank you bye the way). Anyway mine will allow you to leave the children in a fun child care area included in the monthly fee for 1 1/2 hours at a time. For our family it is $70/month - but I know they have different levels and even scholarships for families if need be. They really work with you, my kids 2, 4 and 6 all love going there and to be honest it gives me a much needed break on hard days.

As far as them eating your food mine do it too - I actually had my 4 year old cry over mommy not wanting to share her special k bar - my defense it was my breakfast and I knew I would be hungry when I was finished eating it and didn't want to share LOL and it was my last one.

Good luck you can do it
3callmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have 3 kids...7, 4, and 2. My husband is a former Marine but he has an even more crazy job now lol He travels all over the world for various amounts of time so he is pretty much never home.

To get my exercise it can come in weird ways...remember that all activity counts and not only traditional methods Dancing is a big one where we all dance around the house! I also go walking in the morning. I have a double stroller, pop the kids in and get 5 miles in. My 7 year old goes to school so I usually only go on weekdays.

As for my diet, I am on Core with WW and I have changed how we as a family eat. Less processed food...I plan a lot more and post a menu on my fridge.

It can be done! Good luck girlie
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Have the kids work for you...

Your oldest is 10, and most likely the ringleader of all the siblings. I know as the oldest in my house my little brother looked up to and listened to me more than he ever did anybody else, and still does. I have always taken care of him since I can remember, from changing his diapers or training pants and making sure he brushed his teeth and washed his face in the morning. I did homework with him and I loved being my mom's right hand so to speak. I always got a few extra privileges and treats here and there, and I think that's something you should definitely consider.

See if your oldest children would be willing to take the reigns and move the other kids out back, or in another room to play for half an hour or so while you work out. I bet your oldest would love the opportunity to extend their authority and you would probably be amazed at how your younger children will follow their lead.

I know there is this whole crap philosophy about mom being mom and kids are kids, but the point to being siblings is that you take care of each other, respect each other, and in return depend on each other. I think that people have become too concerned with their kids taking on too much responsibility, but the older siblings *should* be helping you out and caring for the little ones too. You aren't making it their job, but you are instilling in them the importance of looking out for each other. There is nothing wrong with it and ultimately it will bring them closer together. My brother and I are best friends to this day and he still doesn't make any moves without consulting me first, and i'm still the one he calls for help. A prophet could tell my brother his entire future and he would *still* come to me to see how I felt about it first.

Give them a chance to show you what they can do. I think you'll be really surprised at how responsible they can be.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Do the older two go to school during the day? If yes (I know a lot of families who homeschool so I don't just assume all kids go to school), then could you maybe put the younger two in a double stroller and go for a walk?
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #6  

I have thought about using the double stroller (Lord knows I need to for as much as it cost me), but my 2 yo hates it. She screams and squirms to get out. She is such a pistol that I couldn't trust her not to run out into the street or something LOL.

I did homeschool my kids until this year - it just got a little overwhelming. We moved here in June and we are moving to NC the first week of November, we had a new baby, etc. So they are in a charter school right now. If it works out and they keep up their grades then we will keep them in public school (I pulled them out because my oldest had a teacher who didn't really care about him actually learning anything - GRRR).

Anyway, I did look when we first moved here for a YMCA ( I was looking for childcare in case I went into labor before I found someone to trust my kiddos with), but there isn't one I used the one back in Kansas to work out and lose weight after my third baby so I was really disappointed that there isn't one here. I called all the daycares and there is a wait list for every one - even the one on post!!! Daycare doesn't really seem to be an option for me unfortunately.

I am hoping that I can find a Y or on post hourly care when we move, but for now I am stuck with DH being my only escape LOL. Anyway, he doesn't mind doing it - it's me who can't seem to get my butt in gear when he comes home LOL. I guess I just need to be more self-disciplined until my situation changes a little.

As for Byron and Elijah helping with the youngest two - they do quite a lot. I expect them to help and to set a good example for their siblings (I grew up in the South so it is expected of siblings to be responsible for one another). Anyway, they get so revved up watching me work out that they end up in there trying to do it with me and also my 2 yo. It is frustrating because it is like they just don't want to give me any space. I kinda created that for myself though I guess. Homeschooling gave us a close relationship and they love being with me and vice versa, except for when I am trying to exercise - then I need to be alone! I suppose I could work on it but, it would still be 4pm before I get them home from school, feed the baby, help with homework and am able to start working out - I am already exhausted by that point What a shame huh? I have to laugh at my own lack of energy right now!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Unfortunately...

My family is Southern too. Glad to know there are people who still do things right!

You might just have to tell them to take the little ones and get out and not bother you unless there is an emergency. LoL. My friend does that to her kids in order to get a few minutes to herself. She also uses her toddler as a free weight and she's got great arms.

Do you have enough room to shut the door and work out in your bedroom?
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #8  

HAHA - I wish I had a big bedroom! We rented a tiny 3 bedroom apartment because we knew we would only be here for 5 months and wanted to save a couple thousand. Shame on us! It was an awful idea! We spent all the extra money on day outings, going out to eat, buying things for the kids, etc. So now I have no space (it is 1150 sq feet) and no extra money! When we move, we will be on post in a four bedroom house so I will have about double the space. But for now it is CRAMPED.

LOL - you are right - southerners do things the right way!!

I am going to try using Abbie as a free weight now though - I didn't even think about that! She is 27 lbs so I should have nice arms if I keep it up! She will probably love it too!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #9  
:)

Height: 5'7

I'm not a mom, but one day when I was driving home, this family was playing in their yard together, and the young mother was doing lunges as her kids raced around her in toy cars. It was so cute, and kinda comical.
oneupsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Its hard for me too . i just wait till my son is napping and i do my cardio workout
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #11  

Well, I have decided to buy a treadmill on Friday. I'm making this a short post because I already posted about it in "weight loss buddies". G'nite y'all!