Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #1  

Default Question about thyroid ultrasound

Hello everyone. I had a thyroid ultrasound last Friday and no one has called me yet with any news. The tech said he usually gives the results to the patient the next visit. My next appointment is not until November 19, so I definitely do not want to wait until then to hear good or bad news. Do you think I should wait at least a week before calling them? She said if I did not have an appointment in the next few weeks they will most likely call me and let me know how it looks. I think mid-November falls in the range of not in the next few weeks.

All of my thyroid bloodwork came back normal, but my thyroid is enlarged and was bigger this time than my last visit which is why they did the scan.

If they found nodules wouldn't they have called Monday? I do not want to seem like a pest calling them, but I am a natural worrier and thought I would have gotten a call by now.

I guess I just need reassurance that no news is most likely good news and I should stop worrying.

Any of you that have had a thyroid scan, how long did the Doctor wait before giving you the results?
Thanks for listening.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #2  
Thursday Lady

I would definitely call the doctor's office.
Results can stay buried on the desk for days. You have to give them a push!

Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #3  

Thank you Tina. I never thought of that. Endocrinologists are rare in this area and we have about a 75% retiree population, so his office is always full. I had my u/s at 10am and I was already the third scan of the day. (I know because I tried to walk into the hall closet when she said "first door on the left." and then she laughed and said, don't feel bad I'm O for 3 today everyone's gone to that door.)

Last edited by DianaG; 10-08-2008 at 05:52 PM.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #4  
SeaWave

Diana, count me in the been there, done that group. My thyroid has now been removed, but I recall the angst of waiting for test results very well. I recall various players not having at all the same impression of how long test results would take to get to my doctor's office. By all means, call the doctor's office. They might tell you they don't have the results yet; then you can ask when they expect them. By all means, don't let them get away with the "we'll call you if the test shows someting" -- that's the worst response around! Insist on a call either way, or keep calling them.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 226.6/190/160

Height: 5'4"

I have a goiter with nodules. My counts are all with range. I have had a scan every 6 months since 2004 and so far everything has turned out fine. My nodules are constantly restructuring themselves. I took thyroid meds from 1984 -1992 and then my levels starting being normal one their on. I stopped taking the meds and had no problems. I had a spinal fusion c5 c6 and after the surgery when I had a MRI to check the status of the fusion the goiter showed up. I went to the endocronologist and I still don't take meds. We just keep a check on the growth. So far so good. My mother, (had) and my daughter has a goiter. My daughter has had one for 2 years and tomorrow is her appt to check on the scan she had last month. Don't worry but maybe you can see the dr earlier if you can't get the answers you wnat on the phone.
scalewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote