Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #1  
Workin' It

Default Heart Murmur & Exercise

I'm 36 years old and was told for the first time today that I have a heart murmur... Come to find out my mom and my grandmother both have one too, so probably genetic, but I'm wondering why no doctor ever noticed before... Hmmm... My doctor this morning theorized that my weight loss and exercise made it more noticeable, maybe my old doctors just missed it. She doesn't think it is anything serious, but scheduled another test to make sure.

So, my question, heart murmur won't impact my exercise, right? I haven't experienced any dizzyness or chest pain in exercising, and I get my heart rate way on up there, around 170-185, pretty regularly...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #2  
Meg

Shannon, that's a question that you need to ask your doctor. There are different kinds of heart murmurs caused by different issues, and not a "one size fits all" answer to your unique situation. And you don't want to take chances with your heart!

I have a heart murmur caused by tricuspid regurgitation and my doctor and I have discussed my exercise program in depth. She knows exactly what I do and where my heart rate goes and has given me the green light for my program. I get an echocardiogram every two years to keep tabs on it, but so far, no problems.

When you talk with your doctor about your upcoming test results, tell her all about your exercise program and get her OK for it. Chances are it won't impact what you're doing, but you really want to be sure, you know?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It depends entirely on what is causing the murmur. There's lots of different causes. You have to ask your doctor.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #4  
Workin' It

I have an echocardiogram scheduled for two weeks from now and will take a list of all of my current activities and discuss with the doctor.... I asked the doctor this morning and she said to just be aware when I exercise between now and the ECG, make sure I err on the side of caution. She did say not to stop the exercise, just don't go overboard...

Thanks! I was a little freaked out this morning, but have since talked to several people who have murmurs of different types and am not quite as nervous as I was...
Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Well that must be scary to hear! Bleah.

I would say that so far what you've been doing hasn't done any harm. Of course the discussion we had the other day about interval training? I'd say don't hit the level 9!

Good luck with the ECG.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #6  
Workin' It

I was thinking the same thing about the interval training myself Photo Chick!

I did ask her if I caused it by exercising too hard in a short period and she assured me that isn't the way it works... That is good to know, I wasn't sure when she first told me - DH has been telling me along to be careful with the heart rate after all...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 10-07-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #7  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

It does entirely depend on the type of murmur. I was told that I have one sometime in High School. After my ECG I was told that it was innocent and should not effect me in anyway. I dont need check ups or even to watch how I exercise. For me, its just that my heart sounds a little different than others.

I would try to stay positive before your ECG and not get too worried. It could be nothing at all, like mine.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #8  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I have a friend who's 6 yr old has a murmur from rhuematic fever and she was told by their Doc that he could play sports and lead a normal life.
Your case may be different, though.
My mom also has a murmur and had rheumatic fever as a child, she's now 68, and has led a normal life (but she's not an exerciser ).

I wish you the best
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote