General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #1  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Default Black Friday 2008

I found this article...thought it might be useful to some.

Quote:
Here's some useful info for those who will be out in line at 2am for the day after Thanksgiving Day sale

Target

What's likely to be on sale: Target will continue to draw in customers with low prices on apparel, DVDs (including TV box sets) as well as toys and videogames. The chain will have a few deals on electronics, but the bulk of their low-priced items will be on low-cost items for holiday shopping.

Prediction: Look for Target to go low as it senses wallets tightening even more in its core demographic.

---------------------------------

Walmart

Status: Tough economic times are boom times for the discounter.

What's likely to be on sale: Everything. The retailer will be cutting prices early and often this season -- like announcing a $10 toy deal at the start of October -- to try to get the scoop on everyone and keep its #1 position. Expect laptops in the $299 range, popular video games for $10 and toys for practically nothing.

Prediction: Walmart will win in holiday sales, but extra-deep discounting will hurt the bottom line.

Kmart

What's likely to be on sale: Traditionally Kmart has used Black Friday to move kid's clothes and those prepackaged Christmas gifts you end up buying on the way to a gift exchange you forgot about, so expect extra discounts like last year's 10% off all apparel. If the past is any indicator, shoppers can expect to see great deals on board games -- buy one, get one -- and other toys. And cheap, cheap electronics.

Prediction: Kmart will likely draw in a crowd with a careful selection of low-priced loss leaders.

Toys R Us

What's likely to be on sale: Young kid's toys and video games will dominate the ads this fall. Also look for Toys R Us to be pushing lead-free and U.S.-made toys. There will definitely be rock bottom prices to aim for consumer's shrinking disposable income.

Prediction: Many BOGO and B2G1 sales will bring in shoppers with young children at home who still expect Santa to shower them with presents.

Best Buy

Status: Even when the economy is doing poor, consumers still want their gadgets

What's likely to be on sale: HDTVs, laptops, picture frames and GPS. Expect to see extra long lines at Best Buy this year as many first-time Black Friday shoppers looking for new TVs in response to the digital switchover. Dan de Grandpre from Dealnews.com predicts that shoppers will find very aggressive pricing on laptops and Blu-Ray players as well as Insignia and Westinghouse HDTVs.

Prediction: Lines stretched around the block will bring in record sales for the electronics giant.

Circuit City

Status: Under new leadership, Circuit City will be counting on Black Friday to bring in a profitable quarter.

What's likely to be on sale: Home theater, games and cameras. Like Best Buy, Circuit City will be looking to lure in customers who are upgrading to their first HDTV. Don't be surprised if Circuit City also offers crazy deals for a quality 7.1 surround sound home theater in a box system below $200! Dan de Grandpre from Dealnews.com expects similar laptops deals as well as "wicked" HD TV deals from Circuit City.

Prediction: Circuit City may do well this year by being a one-stop Black Friday shop

JC Penney

Status: Sales were plunging even before a weak back-to-school season

What's likely to be on sale: As in the recent past, JC Penney will be cutting prices on clothing for the entire family, but will be gunning especially for the teen audience -- at least as shopped for by moms and dads buying presents (while the teens themselves seem only to be heading to Aeropostale).

Prediction: Doorbusters, like the 88-cent items offered this fall, may do better than any new "fashion" lines that the store adds.

Kohl's

Status: Kohl's is down but not as down as some (like Penney's, which was down 38%)

What's likely to be on sale: Kohl's will be heavily discounting apparel but should also be counted on to provide a large selection of boxed gift items for family and friends. Many of Kohl's best deals will go quick so be sure to get there for the doorbusters. Also expect a celebrity-friendly marketing campaign that will try to lure in youngsters.

Prediction: Kohl's will be cutting prices on loss-leaders to fill up the store with excited customers in order to boost overall sales.

Sears

Status: Struggling the most (down 62% last quarter) and trying to stay out of bankruptcy.

What's likely to be on sale: Sears will offer alluring prices on clothing and their Craftsman line of tools to bring in shoppers early in the day. Expect in store sales to be complimented with several online only deals! And keep a watch out for competitive prices on big-ticket items and home electronics, which may end up besting Best Buy and Circuit City.

Prediction: With price guarantees and 0% financing Sears will be a busy store on Black Friday.

Old Navy

Status: Struggling even as consumers head for low-cost brands, down 9% at last check

What's likely to be on sale: Old Navy typically offers up fewer items than most Black Friday retailers but that the deals will still be plentiful on cold weather clothing. Online discounts may be the best bet, as the parent company just merged all of its brands onto one shopping site.

Prediction: Old Navy will draw crowds but it's not likely the deals will inspire long lines.

Amazon

Status: Riding high on digital sales and low prices Amazon is set up to offer great prices this Fall

What's likely to be on sale: Dan de Grandpre from Dealnews.com predicts that consumers will see amazing prices on home and garden items as well as tools and hardware. Due to moves Amazon took last year he wouldn't be surprised to see them beat other retailers prices in the days and weeks leading up to Black Friday.

Prediction: Amazon will use free or cheap shipping and discounts across the board to come out on top of online retailers this Black Friday.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the article! Black Friday is a huge day for me. I go out with a group, and it's our one "girls day" a year, so it's always fun!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I avoid shopping on busy days so... I generally don't shop between Thanksgiving and Christmas, unless its online.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I LOVE Black Friday and have been going for the past 3 years with a friend - its like tradition now. The lines at Best Buy ALWAYS suck. I always go to Circuit City, Target, Kohl's, and Walmart. Then I throw in any other stores that have specific things on sale that I am looking for. This year I want to look for a digital camcorder though, so I might have to go to Best Buy... which I am not looking forward to! I might have to add Babies R Us this year too..

Last edited by modkittn; 10-06-2008 at 11:03 AM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I avoid Black Friday like the plague.

Amazon.com is my friend.

This year it's going to be a lot of books from Amazon, and a lot of iTunes gift cards since 3 people I know broke down and got iPods this fall.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I've never really shopped on black Fridays due to it being very busy and crowded , but i might consider it this year if i find a baby sitter :-D
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #7  
Mikkos

S/C/G: 217/175/160

I can't believe that's next month already!
mikkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #8  

My DH told me about this earlier. I usually stay as far away as I can from the stores on Black Friday BUT I may have to indulge a bit if I can't find the things I need scratched off my list.

Last edited by SunshineCA; 10-07-2008 at 01:43 AM.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 227.4/227.4/150

Height: 5'1"

I did Black Friday once-1996 a month after we were married. I bought a low price TV for my husband at Caldor(anyone remember that store?). It was a mess and stressful, people followed me to the car to "help" me get the TV into the car just so they could have my shopping cart. Never again.
futuresize6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #10  
beachin'

This year I'll be 8 mos. pregnant...but it is so much fun that I think I still might go. My girlfriends and I get together after everyone's Thanksgiving festivities are over and plan our morning. Sometimes there are different priorities and we might meet later in the morning.

Last year, it really wasn't that bad. I think the key is to stay away from certain stores. Target and Best Buy are always crazy...so we avoid them. Last year, we hit Walmart for kids toys and a few electronics, JC Penney for towels and linens (it was awesome! - this year I'm going for organic cotton towels), Sears for small appliances, Macy's, Old Navy and a few local stores. When I came home, I shopped Amazon.com for the deals there.

It really wasn't that chaotic though - my DH and I went out later in the day and found that it was busier around noon than it was in the Early morning.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Last year, we hit Walmart
I would sooner shoot myself in the foot than go to Walmart on a *regular* day ... on Black Friday?? Good grief. I'd be suicidal if I had to go to Walmart on Black Friday. You're a brave woman.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #12  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Actually, Walmart is pretty good at getting their lines MOVING. Best Buy, IMO, is not. It takes way longer to check out at Best Buy than at Walmart!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you live in an expensive area, Walmarts are horrible because they don't allow many. Not that my parents live in a poor city but they have 4 walmarts in their city. All the walmarts (well minus 1) are very easy, well kept, etc. I live in a county that will only allow 1 walmart for the entire county. It is dirty, hectic and makes me feel like I can't breathe. Sometimes, during the week, its not bad but weekends are horrible.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #14  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I would sooner shoot myself in the foot than go to Walmart on a *regular* day ... on Black Friday?? Good grief. I'd be suicidal if I had to go to Walmart on Black Friday. You're a brave woman.

haha! I feel the same way...on a normal day, waiting in line for a half hour isn't unheard of. We avoid it like the plague. BF is one of the few times of year that I'll actually go to a Wal-Mart. Target has been progressively worse crowd and line wise each year.

The thing about Wal-Mart and Black Friday is they are anticipating a million people and every single register lane was open. The store by us is open 24 hours, but they do not "unveil" the Black Friday deals until 5 a.m. Most of the people there were buying electronics - which had to be checked out in electronics. The line there was enormous. Since we were only buying toys and a few other things, we could go to the front of the store, which was empty! We were in and out in 20 minutes.

Last edited by zeffryn; 10-07-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #15  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkittn View Post
Actually, Walmart is pretty good at getting their lines MOVING. Best Buy, IMO, is not. It takes way longer to check out at Best Buy than at Walmart!
Oh man. I am not willing to deal with Best Buy crowds to save a few bucks.

Last year on BF there were 3 arrests at Best Buy for assault. I wonder if that camera or TV was really worth it.

Lunacy.