Old 10-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default When did you start "working out" regularly?

okay, so I'm still a pretty big girl, and I can still lose weight by just cutting calories and without going to the gym... but I'm anticipating the day when I will have to commit myself to some kind of exercise so I can continue my progress.

So I'm wondering (though we're all different!) what your stories are...

When did you start working out? (or even if you don't yet)
At what weight?
At what point in your diet?
What kinds of things do you do?
What's your story?

kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213/146/128

Height: 5'7"

Smile

Exercise is important at any age/weight. Consult your doctor before beginning an exercise program if you are unsure as to what is best for you right now. I think a good place to start is 20 minutes a day 5 days a week. This can be a brisk walk, you don't need to start out trying to run a mile or anything. Baby steps. Anyway, I started working out at around 175 lbs. But honestly, even if you are losing weight by dieting alone, exercise is still good for you, and will only help speed up your progress. I have been working out for a couple of months, and I am taking aerobics classes now and playing tennis. I used to be such a couch potato, and hated the idea of exercise, but now I LOVE it! Ok, well good luck! xoxoxo
Ami12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I would say start now. I mean, why not? If you aren't planning on doing it or are physically limited that's one thing, but you say you will start eventually, soooo.. what are you waiting for?

I started right away because I was so focused on losing weight and exercising was a wonderful outlet for my frustration I will get into lulls where I will go a week or two (although that is very rare), but I have consitently exercised since I began my journey. I began on the elliptical and with the weight machines at the gym where I worked. I was also recovering from shattering my ankle and the subsequent surgeries (long version of this story is linked in my sig).

I basically continued with this routine for a couple of years. I incorperated hand weights and found them more effective and also began working on the big ball. I also started dropping in on classes (Yoga, Nia), which I still do.

A couple of years after I began my journey and long after I hit goal I began running. My schedule now invloves just about everything under the sun. A few months ago I met with a trainer who helped me find som new moves

The past few weeks I have been powerwalking with my dog, using resistence bands, 30-40 minutes on the elliptical along with some random stuff my trainer has been showing me.

Last edited by junebug41; 10-05-2008 at 04:01 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #4  
clean eating chick

Height: 5'8

When did you start working out? Around grade 10 I started rollerblading regularly. Started going to an actual gym in grade 12.
At what point in your diet? I think at the same time as I started dieting.
-exercise classes are my favorite (step, spinning, kick aerobics, boot camp, group power)
-swimming
-rollerblading (not anymore...I don't live in a good area for it anymore)
-biking (though I don't think it's very good exercise for me)
-running (got up to being able to run 5k)
-weight training (saw a personal trainer)
-used to do stairmaster, eliptical
-taking yoga and hip hop dance classes now
What's your story? Lost 40 pounds in grade 10-11 (around 170 to 130). This was through counting calories (about 1200/day), rollerblading and swimming initially, then kept it off by going to the gym. Gained about 10 back, taking me up to 140 (which is a good weight for me). 3rd year university went to Europe and ate and drank TONS so gained about 5 lbs. Eventually lost that again, getting back down to 140. Throughout all this time I exercised pretty regularly, 3-4x/week (easy to exercise cause the gym was at my uni and I had tons of free time). Then I graduated uni, moved out and started shift work. Gained 10 lbs and didn't go to the gym for a year because of depression/exhaustion. This year: Lost about 8 pounds this winter, gained it back AGAIN (ARGH- pretty much because I was exhausted/sick again and didn't go to the gym for 4 months) and am now losing it again. What I learned? YOU HAVE TO KEEP GOING TO THE GYM. The times I gained weight were when I stopped, so clearly I need to go.

WHEW that was a long post!

Last edited by yesitsmeagain; 10-05-2008 at 03:47 PM.
yesitsmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I shouldn't really say that I don't work out.... I mean that I don't go to the gym/make any regular schedule for cardio or weight lifting, anything like that. I do, however, walk almost every day, usually home from class and on errands, things like that. I've noticed my ability to just get around is improving (and I don't get out of breath as easily).

Anyway, working out means something different for everyone.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #6  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I think working out boils down to one thing, getting your heart race up. If you're not doing that then it's not going to make a huge difference in your weight loss. I don't think it matters how you do it.

I did lots of dancing and workout tapes straight away but lost motivation, eventually I joined the gym and I no go to gym at least 3 times a week. I agree with previous posters that there's nothing to wait for, exercise is beneficial to everybody and is going to have the extra advantage of boosting the weight loss.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
I shouldn't really say that I don't work out.... I mean that I don't go to the gym/make any regular schedule for cardio or weight lifting, anything like that. I do, however, walk almost every day, usually home from class and on errands, things like that. I've noticed my ability to just get around is improving (and I don't get out of breath as easily).

Anyway, working out means something different for everyone.
Very true, but I would like to share my experience on this.

Even though I was always overweight or obese, I never considered myself "inactive". I never minded climbing the stairs and enjoyed walking and was fit enough to be able to keep up with the crowd I was in. Also, living where I live the outdoors is very important and I've always hiked and snowboarded/snow-shoed in high school and my early 20's.

Heck, when I was at my highest weight and broke my ankle into a bunch of peices, you want to know what I was doing at the time? Ice skating.

It wasn't until I began working out at a cardio level and really focusing on working out to lose weight and get into shape did my body react accordingly.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
I think working out boils down to one thing, getting your heart race up.
Bingo
Old 10-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #9  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

When did you start working out? (or even if you don't yet): Around age eleven, when my parents started going to the gym.
At what weight? 140 lbs.
At what point in your diet? I had been trying to lose weight for over a year, and I actually had dropped about twelve pounds just from that; but when I started, I was at a plateau.
What kinds of things do you do? Ride my bike, use the elliptical, lift weights, do yoga, and do exercise DVDs when I don't go to the gym.
What's your story? I was fat as a child and felt quite lonely about it.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

At what weight?
What's your story?

I started yoga just under a week after I started dieting (in April) at 197#. This was (and is) a significant workout, it has really strengthened me. I always knew I needed to start walking, but I put it off. I finally started the C25K in the beginning of August, at about 165#. I lost a couple weeks due to an injury and vacation, but I am now on Week 8 (out of 9), and I'm a runner now . I run 3 days, and do the yoga the other 4 days.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 10-05-2008 at 04:34 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #11  
I will do this.

When did you start working out? About 1 month into the life style

At what weight? No idea

At what point in your diet? When I lost *most* of my cravings and actually working out helped me with the cravings

What kinds of things do you do? I have a trainer twice a week and then elliptical once a week for 30 - 40 minutes

What's your story? I calorie count with the help of dailyplate.com and workout 3 times a week and I also lead an active lifestyle.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

When did you start working out? July 24th 2008
At what weight? 287
At what point in your diet? I started eating right June 24th 2008, I lost 19 pounds and then started working out.
What kinds of things do you do? I started out doing Curves 3 times a week. Now I do cardio/ strength training everyday, sometimes I work out twice a day.
What's your story? I'm in the process. I've been stuck around 282 for almost three months but have lost a lot of inches. I've gone from a size 22/24 to a size 18. I'm trying not to get stuck on weight b/c I look better, and I keep losing inches and I feel and look good.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/160

Height: 5'5"

I started eating healthy and exercising at the same time. I see them as working together. When I was at 240, I was not inactive. I went on hikes regularly and everything, so I didn't need to worry about pushing myself too hard too fast. I told myself that if I could get myself to workout at least 3 times a week on my own for a month I would join a gym. I started walking/running for about 2.5 miles at a local running trail, coupled with good DVDs on pilates using balance ball and some small weight lifting. After doing that and losing about 20 pounds, I joined a gym.

Once I joined a gym (which is open 24 hours) I pushed it to working out 1-2 hours everyday, starting with running 1-3 miles, then using weight machines and doing core exercises for about 20 minutes. Then sometimes I would swim laps for an additional 20 minutes or do 30 minutes of cardio on the ellipticals. I also took advantage of free pilates classes at the gym whenever I could. I admit I turned into an exercise freak. I'm still addicted to exercise.

I hut my hip a handful of months ago so running was not an option for a while, and even now it;s limited. Exercise was down to 3x a week or less for a while. Now I work out about 5-6 times a week. I take an awesome Gravity class 2x a week which uses pilates type equipment and your own body weight coupled with cycling. I still take pilates when I can once a week. Additionally I workout 3-4 times on my own. Starting with a 1.5 mile run, I then will alternate between lower body exercises, core exercises and upper body exercises (sometimes using machines, balls, or just my body) for 20-30 minutes. Then I will finish up with some cardio for about 15-30 minutes.

My advice: consult a doctor before starting anything. But get your heart rate up with some cardio...I'd suggest walking and incorporating running into your walk in increments. Or using elliptical machines at the gym. Low impact but it still gives you resistance and cardio. Swimming laps is also a great all-around body workout and cardio. Cycling is good too. Find something you like to do. I found cardio goes faster if you do it in front of a tv. I'd figure out a target heart rate for yourself and start by doing 30-60 minutes of cardio 3x a week. But I'm not an expert and this is just coming from my personal experience.

While writing this I just realized that I need to incorporate more cardio. If you are not doing 45-60 minutes at a time, it won't make a huge impact. I'm not doing enough. Thanks! :-)
Zephra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/160

Oh, and I forgot to mention that if you are working out a lot, that means you intake more food. So that's always a plus. Who doesn't want to eat more? :-)
Zephra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #15  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Well, I started lifting weights first and then a week later I got my act together and started doing cardio and eating right.

At what weight?

Well, it was a week before I started my diet

Well this is probably an answer you don't really want to know, after hanging out on these forums I discovered that the 30 minutes three times a week that is advertised to lose weight is CRAP! (Adendum: if it works for you cool but my fat must be a little more stubborn). I do 90 minutes of cardio a day, and now I am lifting three times a week. I didn't start out that way, I started doing 30 minutes of cardio a day and then it went up from there.

What's your story?
Um... I'm not sure what you want to know here. I always active, but I was also chubby (140) and then I moved to the big city and got a desk job then I gained weight (217) and not I am back at losing weight. My weight has always been something I have battled.

Last edited by Skullarix; 10-05-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote